What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

So I have the same issue trying to get 2 RT-AC3100's to work. I factory reset both multiple times. No luck. A lot of wasted time trying to get it to work.

It will connect once but as soon as I pull the power to the node and power it back on it will no longer be found by the main one. Even after resetting the node. Test both wifi only from 5-10 ft away to using the and also using ethernet backhaul (directly connected LAN to WAN as well as LAN to switch to WAN on node.)

Switching back to Merlin's latest beta 2. AIMesh doesn't work with the RT-AC3100's apparently.

Edit: Note I was able to get two RT-AC-68U's work just fine exactly same setup. But the 2 RT-AC3100's was not able to get it to work.

Hmm, and I gave up Merlins firmware for this?
I would have assumed that with the beta period, most of the bugs would have been wrung out.

On a more positive note, I have been running an Open System for years. My house is on a large lot far from the road.

This version wanted me to put in a passkey. So, I did it - and spent all day today getting all my wifi connected devices - reconnected. Whew, you don't realize:

1) How many devices we own now that use WiFi
2) How some manufactures make it pretty easy (thanks Amazon, Harmony, Apple and NVidia) and how some don't (umm, PS3???) to update Wifi settings.
3) How much time it takes to setup todays WiFi routers - DDNS, Port Forwarding, etc.

In the end, Asus still does a great job, either Merlins or stock.

Last edited:
Hello, I am using currently Media Bridge mode on my secondary ASUS RT-AC86U in order to share the network using network cables from secondary device. Can I now use AiMesh mode to have the same effect? AiMesh documentation does not say much about the wired connections, except that I could use AP mode to extend the network using cable, but that is not what I want. I want to extend the network from primary router to secondary router using wireless connection, and then extend from the secondary using network cables. So would AiMesh work like this, in addition to extending the wireless network?

Hi,
I have a strange issue with my 2 AC88U and getting AiMesh to work, both routers are upgraded to 3.0.0.4.384_10007 firmware, but only one of the AC88U comes up with AiMesh functionality in the admin consoll. Anyone have a clue what this is about, see pictures?
View attachment 11484View attachment 11485

Could you send the feedback by Feedback function in the one of failure with AiMesh?

Does anyone know if different countries' ASUS routers can be combined in a Aimesh network? In particular, if I combine a Japanese RT-AC86U and an American RT-AC88U with ethernet backhaul, I'd like to know if W53 and W56 DFS bands would work? Would there be any conflicts created or would the American router automatically know not to choose any of the bands not supported by the Japanese one?

Last edited:
1. Does AiMesh use a noticeable amount of CPU on an AC-68U? Asking before I decide whether I want to try it. I don't really tax the routers that much as I just have a couple of scripts running on it.

2. Also, can all AiMesh nodes be used as just APs if I have other services DNS,DHCP, etc. running on another box (like a NAS)? Or does one have to be at least in "regular" mode?

Answering my own question, looking at the link provided by Arthur:
"Yes. You can choose set the AiMesh router as router mode or access point mode."

Not clear as to how much computing resource it uses (my first question)...

Last edited:
Does AiMesh use a noticeable amount of CPU on an AC-68U? Asking before I decide whether I want to try it. I don't really tax the routers that much as I just have a couple of scripts running on it.

Also, can all AiMesh nodes be used as just APs if I have other services DNS,DHCP, etc. running on another box (like a NAS)? Or does one have to be at least in "regular" mode?

There are some FAQ here, for you reference...
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk/

Hey guys, I'm considering jumping into a mesh vs router-AP. My house is a split level with the family room at the farthest and lowest end of the house from the bedrooms. Currently deploying a 88u as router downstairs and 87u as AP upstairs connected over ether. Will the mesh out perform this configuration? I'm also considering getting a ROG 5300 as router and 88u as a node. Where is the advantage of one over the other? Thanks!
Have any switch between main and node when you used Ethernet Backhaul?

Main(lan port) <--- Ethernet cable. --> (wan port) Node

Isn't correct?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

@arthurlien , Is a switch between the aimesh devices out of the question?

@arthurlien , Is a switch between the aimesh devices out of the question?

the switch can be located between every AiMesh Router/Nodes,
you can see the backhaul type is "ethernet" or "wifi", such as figure as below,
螢幕快照 2018-01-08 下午2.39.15.png

if you want ethernet backhaul forced, change the connection priority from "Auto" to "Ethernet". Such as figure as below,
螢幕快照 2018-01-08 下午2.42.06.png

Having the same issue too! Ethernet Backhaul and speedtest on my desktop which is wired connected to the main ac88u router, yet only achieve around 350mbps max for download. Whereas upload can hit as high as 970mbps...

Are we going to get a fix for this asap? Kinda disappointed. Also, moving from one router to another there will be a gap of 30-40s unable to receive or transmit data even though wifi is still hooked up. These 2 need to be fixed asap :/

Are we going to get a fix for this asap? Kinda disappointed. Also, moving from one router to another there will be a gap of 30-40s unable to receive or transmit data even though wifi is still hooked up. These 2 need to be fixed asap :/

We are working on the througput issue now.

same here, and also I did an update of FW and the asus aimesh is showing that only the nodes has the ultimate firmware, no sense
How did you proceed the f/w upgrade ? Just one click to upgrade or manually one by one upgrade ?

Hello, I am using currently Media Bridge mode on my secondary ASUS RT-AC86U in order to share the network using network cables from secondary device. Can I now use AiMesh mode to have the same effect? AiMesh documentation does not say much about the wired connections, except that I could use AP mode to extend the network using cable, but that is not what I want. I want to extend the network from primary router to secondary router using wireless connection, and then extend from the secondary using network cables. So would AiMesh work like this, in addition to extending the wireless network?

It works. No problems whatsoever. Once you pair the node with the router, you can use all ethernet ports from node. I'm not sure if WAN port can be used thought.
Communication between router and node will happen over wireless so any client wired connected to node will be able to use only the bandwidth available between router and node.

It works. No problems whatsoever. Once you pair the node with the router, you can use all ethernet ports from node. I'm not sure if WAN port can be used thought.
Communication between router and node will happen over wireless so any client wired connected to node will be able to use only the bandwidth available between router and node.

Hmm so instead of behaving like a regular wired switch like it does in AP mode (assuming primary and secondary routers are connected via a physical network cable), AiMesh now forces the two to communicate exclusively over WiFi?

Hopefully the fix will be release asap. what about the lag when roaming? is that a known issue?

Roaming, Some people said it's working, but some user said it's not working. Could you send the feedback by feedback function for me ? The extra information shall be include system log and wifi log, I can check it first.

Roaming, Some people said it's working, but some user said it's not working. Could you send the feedback by feedback function for me ? The extra information shall be include system log and wifi log, I can check it first.

How should I conduct the “test” in order for it to be captured by the log?

Good examples of the lag:
1) Watching facebook video and roam from the main router to the node router. Even if I standing beside the node router, the video will appear to be loading and will take some time to resume

2) online mobile games. Similar to the above, when roaming from main to node, I will get kick out of the game server and have to launch the game again. This proves to me that the handshake isnt done properly

Status
Not open for further replies.