What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same situation. Ac88u as aimesh router ac68u as node and when dhcp reservation and a few other changes the node disappears. When accessing the node ip it says it can’t find the aimesh router but the iPad dress is received from the router and I can see the node in the connected devices. Also the behavior of the search changes once the changes were made. Prior, the search can take a while and if not found gives a response telling what to do to connect a node. After changes are made the search is quick and never provides a response, just stops spinning. The only way I was able to get it to work was with a freshly reset aimesh router and node.
This was exactly my experience with the same configuration. As long as I leave both routers at factory default, it worked (for about 6hours...). I have a few clients that need static addresses - NAS and a few Raspberry Pi's. Shortly after assigning them, 68U node gone forever...
I also noticed that searching again was much quicker before it said it couldn't find any nodes.
Artherlien, I think Asus is brilliant for taking on this new feature and really hope you guys get it stable. For now I consider it Alpha...

UPDATE:

Up for over a day with no disconnects or errors.

My system us 3 68U routers.

First is runing Merlin setup as the internet connection, dhcp server, vpn server, etc.

2nd is the AIMesh main router setup as access point back to the Merlin router. The only configuration changes I made was to manually setup to AP mode, setup WiFi names and security and enabled ssh.

3rd is my AIMesh node.

I completely reset both AIMesh routers yesterday (NVRAM erase then factory reset). Since then it seems to be working.

Would love to switch my main AIMesh router to router mode and redeploy the Merlin as an additional node but I will wait for the stability issues to be better understood and corrected.

For now at least AIMesh seems to be working in this simple confgiguration.

Let's see how long it remains stable.

2nd Update:

Node went offline again overnight. So maybe a day and a half of uptime.

This was exactly my experience with the same configuration. As long as I leave both routers at factory default, it worked (for about 6hours...). I have a few clients that need static addresses - NAS and a few Raspberry Pi's. Shortly after assigning them, 68U node gone forever...
I also noticed that searching again was much quicker before it said it couldn't find any nodes.
Artherlien, I think Asus is brilliant for taking on this new feature and really hope you guys get it stable. For now I consider it Alpha...
We are keep working on it and making it more stable.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

We are keep working on it and making it more stable.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送
And I thank you and Asus for doing this! Like I said, I applaud Asus for even attempting to add this feature both to the lastest routers and even some of the older. Mesh topology is the wave of the future - and the fact you folks not only have dedicated products but are willing to put the time and effort into adding this to older routers is admirable. I would always recommend Asus routers - based on all your support and features.

One idea and I may be off base. Just a thought. I noticed when I did have AiMesh running, my node showed up as IP 192.168.1.183.

Since one of the areas that seem to cause issues is anyone changing the DHCP address range and/or assigning static...

Why not reserve the first 10 IP addresses for AiMesh? Typically 192.168.1.1 is reserved (in a sense!) for the main router. I would recommend you reserve 192.168.1.1 to 192.1.10 for the exclusive use of AiMesh.
You could then allow users to limit ranges above 192.168.1.10 and also allow static in this upper range.
Frankly, uses that don't change defaults would never notice - and those of us that want to modify/engineer our internal network would likely be fine with leaving the firs 10 address alone.

Just a thought...

If you reset the node and you don't reboot the main, the node still show in Node list. You still can removed this node by WebUI. please refer the FAQ is as below

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035194

The problem is this:

Freshly upgraded and resetted AC3100 and node (AC68U) are in Aimesh --> Change setting on AC3100 results in losing node, shows "0" under Aimesh ---> then node shows up as Wired under clients

Nothing I do can get the AC68U to become a node again, the only way is to reset/clear nvram or just use initialize the main router (AC3100) via the GUI and begin the whole ordeal again.

The option to add/remove nodes freely via the GUI is not the problem.

With AiMesh, I noticed that my router and node are using the same 2.4 and 5ghz channels. I'm using Smart Connect also.

Is it normal for them to pick the same channels? Or maybe it's just random because of the wifi signals in my area?

Just tested a bit more.
When I start using DDNS with a HTTPS certificate (own or Lets Encrypt), I also lose connection to the node (after a reboot of the main router). After that, only way back is to factory reset. Only disable DDNS client is net enough.

So, changing IP kills it. Using DDNS with certificate (not testen without certificate) kills it. And people reported that assigning a fixed ip address to a client killed it.

With AiMesh, I noticed that my router and node are using the same 2.4 and 5ghz channels. I'm using Smart Connect also.

Is it normal for them to pick the same channels? Or maybe it's just random because of the wifi signals in my area?

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with you. It is the way it is and there are no clues from Asus we will be able to choose channels on node with an ethernet connection to router.
For a wireless backhaul there's no technical way to assign different channels.

I managed to buy another RT-AC88U and try out the configuration again.........

Both RT-AC88U can be connected together with one as AiMesh AP and the other as AiMesh node. Well, I put my RT-AC68U into factory reset using WPS switch pressed while power on method. It cannot be found using the search button.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Hey Richard, my setup is somewhat the way you desire it to be: 88u as main and 68u as node. It has been stable since the day i have flashed the fw. One of my biggest issue (other than the download speed limit) is that the roaming isnt seamless, from one router to another there is a lag time. And recently realised that my ip cam seems to be hooked onto 88u instead of 68u even though its nearer to 68u (can be verified under the list of devices connected to node).

Just tested a bit more.
When I start using DDNS with a HTTPS certificate (own or Lets Encrypt), I also lose connection to the node (after a reboot of the main router). .

Confirmed, same happened to me.

But this is not the only trigger that makes node disappear forever, some other very minor changes do it for me as well.

This said, I am very happy with it when it works. Hope Asus will iron out bugs soon.

Last edited:
Is it necessary to keep WPS on after AiMesh node pairing? It's a security issue.

Is it necessary to keep WPS on after AiMesh node pairing? It's a security issue.
I would also like to hide SSID. Is that possible? How about guest networks? It was broken on early firmware, but has it been fixed? Thank you.

Some good news:

I removed the gigabit switch between router and node and this makes a huge difference.
Then it also accepted ethernet priority and does not try to node wireless.

Another tip for the people who still dont know : add a node allways after a full reset and with the node only connected to the power at 1-3 meter away from the router. Then it allways finds it.
So don't put it on its intended far away position before it is connected as node.

Hope this helps some. It did not go offline anymore since i did all the above.

Indeed, the main issue is that I should be able to re-add it via Aimesh search, but only by resetting (not rebooting) the main router can this be done.

Resetting the main router is a major pain. I have (like probably many of us) lots of specific configurations already made and it is very time consuming to redo them aster a reset.

After the node is added it should be able to be re-found without a reset to the node again.

Some good news:

I removed the gigabit switch between router and node and this makes a huge difference.

This isn't good news for those of us intending to have nodes connected through MoCA. 10 Ethernet switches is still going to be less latency than WiFi backhaul. It seems wrong that this should matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.