What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nice 10 minute upgrade of 2 AC86U's.

For those who like explicit directions:

1) Hit the single firmware upgrade button
2) waited 3 minutes
3) message said to restart the router manually
4) hit the on/OFF button of the AiMesh node.
5) hit the on/OFF button of the primary router.
6) hit the ON/off button of the primary router.
7) waited 5 minutes
8) hit the ON/off button of the AiMesh node
9) done

Hi, I have considered aimesh long time now, but I had Orbi Rbk53 unstable so I sent back and tried Orbi Pro too unstable. There is no help getting from Netgear, I was going to buy an ac-5300 and one ac86u is this a good choice or should i go for the gt-5300? thought to give netgear a chance with orbi pro but cant take it anymore, is an ac5300 and an ac86u good choice? and so I thought to buy an RT-AX88U when it comes , should I buy an ac5300/gt5300 and two ac86u, or should I just buy an ac5300 and wait for the AX88u to come? and is aimesh works better than orbi shirt?i need verry good coverage and speed,i have a big house and many many devices ipads cameras laptops ++,and my internett speed is 500mbps down/500mbps up,goot big houe 3 floors,i have to start somewhere?

Unless you have 40+ devices on 5GHz band communicating with each other, and really need two independent 5GHz bands, getting 2x AC-86U (or AC-88U, if you require 8 LAN ports, or 2.4GHz 4x4 instead of 3x3) is a smarter choice.

AC5300 can work as AiMesh master, but is overkill for most usage. Given your 500Mbps internet connection, 750 + 2166 up/down with multiple AC-86Us will be more then enough.

Hi I have 30 units ++ I also share my wireless network with my neighbors, in my house we only use 5ghz because I live in the center in town and it's too many 2.4ghz around me(35++ nettworks around me using 2.4ghz,schools ,stores,private ) to work well so it best for me here i live now is to use 5ghz,my old place was good using 2.4ghz but my new place 2.4ghz is bad.now i have one router two satellites pro system working great just jusing 5ghz,but im tired drops out loosing internett and reboots and auto uppdates,my kids and girl friend is tired when internett is dropping out and the reboots,my speed is 500mbps/500mbps,just using my 2.4ghz on my nest smoke protect,and some camera(doesnt support 5ghz)the price has nothing to say, just want a stable good system :)

Last edited:
I've got 20+ devices on the network, using 88U + 86U, and happy with the speed and stability. Connecting my notebook to AiMesh node gives me about 400/50 speed (my internet connnection is 500/50, and there are other devices using it). Stability was not very good with initial .10007 firmware, but seems to be great now.

It does require some tinkering though with initial setup.

Also, when you change Wifi settings (channels, etc.) on the main router, it is best to restart that router, wait few minutes, and restart mesh node(s), otherwise the speed might be 20x lower. That still seems to be a bug, but you don't change that daily.

http://upccz.speedtest.net/result/7025757931

Thanks gonna decide what to buy this weekend,think im gonna go for aimesh,orbi/pro has to many problems now,netgear is no help:(one of my kids say buy one ac5300 :)he is 18 years old gamer :)so i think im gonna buy ac5300 and one ac86u,maybe i get ax88u when it comes.i dont think im gonna get gt5300 version,nice to know that merlin supports ac5300 and not the gt5300 vesrion.
If i get ac5300 i have options whit merlin in the future.but when i if/get the ac 5300 i just change the 3 ssid names at the same name?so i get one ssid name,my girl friend and kids just want to have one ssid ;)

Thanks i will tell how it goes:)The same her i want to select channels and settings.So im just gonna ghanged the tree names and turn of smart connect.best channel i get here on 2.4ghz is channels 6 and high 5ghz.Have good weekend saturday.

Unless you have 40+ devices on 5GHz band communicating with each other, and really need two independent 5GHz bands, getting 2x AC-86U (or AC-88U, if you require 8 LAN ports, or 2.4GHz 4x4 instead of 3x3) is a smarter choice.

AC5300 can work as AiMesh master, but is overkill for most usage. Given your 500Mbps internet connection, 750 + 2166 up/down with multiple AC-86Us will be more then enough.
Traditional Wi-Fi range extenders cut your speeds in half because they are dual band and have to backhaul on the same channel they are serving clients. Does AiMesh fix this? If not then tri band routers would be better. This assumes you aren’t using an Ethernet backhaul.

Same with AiMesh. But using two AC86U routers gives you 750 + 2166 Rx/Tx rates, which is enough to accomodate for 500/500 internet, even when cut by half. So, only if you need super fast transfer speeds between devices on your LAN, you might appreciate TriBand routers.

Last edited:
I find things are better with it turned off. My devices don't get kicked out when there not needed to be.
Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a consensus out there or best practice for:
With AIMESH should I have “Roaming assistant” on or off?
Thanks!
Dan

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks!
Dan

Smart Connect is used to determine which band your device should connect to 2.4, 5G-1, 5G-2 and Roaming Assist is used to determine which router/node in your mesh network to connect to. If you disable roaming assist your devices probably won't switch APs until they physically can't get a connection to the AP they were connected to. The whole point of Aimesh and roaming assistant is that your devices will seamlessly transition to whatever router/node provides the best signal to your device and you would never know there was a handoff being done. Same with smart control except for bands not physical devices.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks!
Dan
Too many variables and each environment is different. I find I have fewer problems with distant Guest clients with it off. Try it each way and see which you like better.

Smart Connect is used to determine which band your device should connect to 2.4, 5G-1, 5G-2 and Roaming Assist is used to determine which router/node in your mesh network to connect to. If you disable roaming assist your devices probably won't switch APs until they physically can't get a connection to the AP they were connected to. The whole point of Aimesh and roaming assistant is that your devices will seamlessly transition to whatever router/node provides the best signal to your device and you would never know there was a handoff being done. Same with smart control except for bands not physical devices.
I think that is way oversimplified. If AiMesh depended on Roaming Assistant to force a handoff, then why would we need AiMesh? Just name all SSIDs the same and set the WiFis to the same channel.
I have RA off and my phone still switches to the better node as I move around - even when the old node's signal is more than adequate.

I think that is way oversimplified. If AiMesh depended on Roaming Assistant to force a handoff, then why would we need AiMesh? Just name all SSIDs the same and set the WiFis to the same channel.
I have RA off and my phone still switches to the better node as I move around - even when the old node's signal is more than adequate.

That is where I am confused.

Does AIMESH replace the old “Roaming Assistant” or is “Roaming Assistant” a component of AIMESH?

Dan

That is where I am confused.

Does AIMESH replace the old “Roaming Assistant” or is “Roaming Assistant” a component of AIMESH?

Dan
I don't know and I really don't spend much time worrying about it. AiMesh works fine with or without it. As I said, I don't like RA on because I have some distant clients like a irrigation control in the garage that only get about -80dB. RA kept killing the connection. I've got 3 clients that are under -70dB. If I set RA's threshold that low, it kind of defeats the purpose. So it's now off and things work better for me. Your mileage may vary. But I reiterate - AiMesh does not depend on Roaming Assist.

I don't know and I really don't spend much time worrying about it. AiMesh works fine with or without it. As I said, I don't like RA on because I have some distant clients like a irrigation control in the garage that only get about -80dB. RA kept killing the connection. I've got 3 clients that are under -70dB. If I set RA's threshold that low, it kind of defeats the purpose. So it's now off and things work better for me. Your mileage may vary. But I reiterate - AiMesh does not depend on Roaming Assist.

Agreed. I seemed to have better experience with it off as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a possible bug here, apologies if I'm doing this wrong or if it's already known.

I just upgraded to 20308 on my two AT-AC3100s (1 router, 1 node). This is the first firmware update I pushed to a node. I updated the router manually, went fine. I tried to update the node manually and it pops up a log-in screen. I log in using my credentials, it asks me the file to upload, which I select, but then it bounces right back to the "upload" button in the pop-up screen, and I can't do anything from there. There's no indication that it is uploading. The note says manual will only update the router, but it still gives the option to upload to the node (which is what I did).

The only way I was able to update the node was to use the "check" button, then have it auto update. That worked per usual, but the manual update isn't working for me with my node. Moving forward, I anticipate that it should update both router and node automatically when I use the check button, but I won't know until the next update gets pushed.

I did get the GUI firmware glitch once after the update, but it hasn't come back since a reboot. Hopefully it'll stay away, but if it pops back up, I'll report the issue since I know 20308 was supposed to fix it.

Additionally @arthurlien, I did reply to your inquiry in the other thread about my doubled up camera on the client list here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.43125/page-42#post-378360
Not sure if you wanted to keep that going in that thread or move the conversation over to this one, as it is now officially a possible bug in 20308, too.