What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What's the best ASUS option other than an 86U at this point for the latest and greatest that isn't a standup unit? The 86U being standup is limiting it's placement, I might try it behind the OLED TV, not sure how bad that will kill the signal.

In my testing, the AC86U beat the AC3100/AC88U, so the only other option at the moment are the RT/GT-AC5300. Tests by SNB suggest that the GT-AC5300 may have substantially better throughput at short and medium range distances than the AC86U. If you want to wait a bit, supposedly the RT-AX88U will be released in March or April, but who knows if the 802.11AC/N capability will be any better than the AC86U.

I know there are legitimate needs for Guest to allow limited net access without need to share the private SSID password. Cases where LAN security is not the primary concern. All I'm asking for - if not isolation, a means to allow administrators to decide if nodes handle guest logins. Preferably a checkbox in the Guest setup that said whether the Guest login should be propagated. But I'd even be happy if I could ssh into the node and disable it, as long as it persists over a reboot.

Sounds very reasonable, I’m all in favour of having as many options as possible and leaving it up to the “admin of the house” to decide what works for them ... there are so many variations now on how people want to set up their networks.

StephenH

What's the best ASUS option other than an 86U at this point for the latest and greatest that isn't a standup unit? The 86U being standup is limiting it's placement, I might try it behind the OLED TV, not sure how bad that will kill the signal.

When you say 'greatest', are you including PRICE as a feature? Many of us think its quite important. $322 versus $200 ... as if I needed to remind anyone.

I used the firmware upgrade function of the GUI (for the first time ever, I always did it manually) and both router and node are on 20308. Simple and smooth!

I'm wondering if it's possible to enable Guest network on a node by using CLI. I'm willing to try if anybody knows which commands I have to run.

One requirement hasn't been mentioned in discussion of Guest-on-the-Nodes. Shall seamless handoff between nodes be a requirement?
In my case, I don't care. Those clients on my Guest are fixed smart devices and never move. And my main router does a decent job of covering the living space in my home. But others people might want to be able to give the guest login to visitors, friends, neighbors and be able to take advantage of the Mesh features as they move around the property. Of course, Roaming Assist would do a somewhat similar job of allowing that mobility. That is, if the nodes had the same Guest SSID/password.

Last edited:
One requirement hasn't been mentioned in discussion of Guest-on-the-Nodes. Shall seamless handoff between nodes be a requirement?
In my case, I don't care. Those clients on my Guest are fixed smart devices and never move. And my main router does a decent job of covering the living space in my home. But others people might want to be able to give the guest login to visitors, fiends, neighbors and be able to take advantage of the Mesh features as they move around the property. Of course, Roaming Assist would do a somewhat similar job of allowing that mobility. That is, if the nodes had the same Guest SSID/password.

I would think the requirement is that they function just like the main Wi-Fi network so yes to the seamless roaming. Most smart devices are stationary but visitors in your home will have phones, tablets, etc.

I would like to see the ability for two isolation options. One option where your guest network is isolated from your main network but the guest devices can communicate between themselves and another option where guest devices are isolated from the main network and from other guest devices. This option should be selectable on every guest network. I also would love to have VLAN support in the UI but I doubt we ever will. Tomato from Shibby did a good job of VLAN support in the UI.

I wanted to try Alexa integration w/ my AC88U, but it requires enabling administration from WAN. Seems like a security risk for me...
Could you make it work on local network only?

Don't know what happened to my node today. It was working fine for 1 month but now its just disappeared off the network. I brought it back near to my router, did NVRAM reset, and also a reset by holding the reset button but it was not detecting my node anymore.

I tried maybe 10+ more times with NVRAM reset, and eventually it found the node again and I paired it.

SO I was happy again, I took the node back upstairs to place it and now its disappeared again...doesn't show up anywhere!

Any ideas? Both are updated to the new firmware (20308)

Blocked by my firewall today, 11.4 is a AImesh node, what is this?
[IPF-Block_WAN_Access-Block_AIMesh_OUT] BLOCK src ip 192.168.11.4 mac b0:6e:bf:3e:b5:50 dst ip 74.125.204.127 proto udp DPT=193

74.125.204.127 is a Google IP and a search for udp 193 come up with "Spider Remote Monitoring Protocol"

Don't know what happened to my node today. It was working fine for 1 month but now its just disappeared off the network. I brought it back near to my router, did NVRAM reset, and also a reset by holding the reset button but it was not detecting my node anymore.

I tried maybe 10+ more times with NVRAM reset, and eventually it found the node again and I paired it.

SO I was happy again, I took the node back upstairs to place it and now its disappeared again...doesn't show up anywhere!

Any ideas? Both are updated to the new firmware (20308)

1. Which Model you are using now ?
2. Does it converted by TM-AC1900 if you are used as RT-AC68U?
3. Send feedback with system log, wifi log and cfg file by Feedback function.

1. Which Model you are using now ?
2. Does it converted by TM-AC1900 if you are used as RT-AC68U?
3. Send feedback with system log, wifi log and cfg file by Feedback function.

1. It is a converted TM-AC1900.
2. It was converted to RT-AC68U and was working fine for 1 month. It stopped working today so I tried converting to RT-AC68P but same issue.
3. Will send this info in few minutes, just want to say that I can pair node with main router if they are near each other, but as soon as I take node to second floor, it does not detect anymore and always says "Offline"

Shall I try NV reset on main router ?

Upgrade issue. Master and 2 nodes. All were on 10007. Logged into Master via webgui. Used GUI to upgrade firmware. Master and One node upgraded to 20308 but one node did not. However, the GUI says it is the latest version on the non upgraded node. I repeated the upgrade process but the one node still didn't upgrade.

Attachments

• aimesh.JPG
    aimesh.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 444
Upgrade issue. Master and 2 nodes. All were on 10007. Logged into Master via webgui. Used GUI to upgrade firmware. Master and One node upgraded to 20308 but one node did not. However, the GUI says it is the latest version on the non upgraded node. I repeated the upgrade process but the one node still didn't upgrade.

try to use "Check" and "Update".....

On the asus.com/aimesh page it says this about Aimesh.

A rock-solid data 'backbone' connects all the AiMesh-enabled routers, with AiMesh intelligently choosing either a wired connection or the optimal frequency band — 5GHz or 2.4GHz. With tri-band routers, it will dedicate one of the two 5GHz bands to inter-router communications.​

Has anyone with tri-band routers and wireless backhaul actually noticed Aimesh using a dedicated backhaul? I seem to have devices that connect to all 3 channels (2.4, 5-1, 5-2) of the node.

Indi

I don't have "update" button. Only check and "upload" and it opens file dialog box. Just like in picture.

click "check" first, if the asus server have newer version, you will see the "Update" button. This is Auto Update function. It will update main router and nodes.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!