What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, it does indicate AiMesh in the GUI... that's hopeful.

I'd redo the install and hope for better results. Also, make sure you have all of the necessary items enabled on the router that AiMesh requires for adding nodes... I think I have these all noted in my notes... like WPS, both radios, etc.

OE
Yes great to get back on topic of being helpful , It was working only when i deleted it , it wont come back.

Yes i've got wps enabled etc. but will go over it again tomorrow , only other thing i was thinking was wait till my ac88u gets a new release which is pretty overdue now...

Yes great to get back on topic of being helpful , It was working only when i deleted it , it wont come back.

Yes i've got wps enabled etc. but will go over it again tomorrow , only other thing i was thinking was wait till my ac88u gets a new release which is pretty overdue now...
If you haven't tried using the WPS button to factory reset the router you could try doing that on both the 88U and the 66U-B1

If you haven't tried using the WPS button to factory reset the router you could try doing that on both the 88U and the 66U-B1

I did do a WPS reset on 66u-b1 but only an initialze and restore from GUI and THE reset button on AC88U

Will try that on 88u tomorrow , i'm am at point of wanting to throw it accross the room , lol

edit thought init from GUI was same as doing a wps reset i.e wipe nvram

Un-sticking this thread since it's no longer the latest version available, to avoid confusion.

No. The 68U does not do Smart Connect node band steering. The 86U does, has a stronger processor, more memory, WiFi chipset with Range Boost (~20%), and is a more recent build (Aug 2017?). In theory, the functionality of the 86U as router should extend to the 68U as AiMesh node. So, I would invest in the 86U, not the 68U.

Edit: I guess when it comes to range boost, two 86Us might be better than one for symmetrical WiFi coverage.

OE

Thanks! I will pick up a 86U instead then.

Is it worth investing in AiMesh now? or wait...

Thanks! I will pick up a 86U instead then.

Is it worth investing in AiMesh now? or wait...

If you have a 68U and need more WiFi coverage now and like ASUS routers and can afford the 86U (which might be enough coverage as a standalone router), then I'd say it's worthwhile to add the 86U now and give AiMesh a try.

(April rebate ends today.)

OE

Excellent post, OzarkEdge.

Couple of issues:

- set public DNS servers (Quad9 9.9.9.9, 9.9.9.9)

Quad9 is founded by an alliance with law enforcement - Global Cyber Alliance (GCA).

The defacto standard for non-ISP DNS is Google DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. Long standing alternative is OpenDNS, who also offer parental control services via DNS called Family shield. A recent provider is Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 - which may offer the best performance of all for many people (test it).

- enable AiProtection/Network Protection and perform Router Security Assessment Scan*

Using AiProtection submits information to TrendNet (also requires agreeing to separate user agreement terms).

Other than that your post should be very useful for others doing AiMesh - so much so, you should probably break it out into its own thread ...

Excellent post, OzarkEdge.

Couple of issues:

- set public DNS servers (Quad9 9.9.9.9, 9.9.9.9)

Quad9 is founded by an alliance with law enforcement - Global Cyber Alliance (GCA).

The defacto standard for non-ISP DNS is Google DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. Long standing alternative is OpenDNS, who also offer parental control services via DNS called Family shield. A recent provider is Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 - which may offer the best performance of all for many people (test it).

- enable AiProtection/Network Protection and perform Router Security Assessment Scan*

Using AiProtection submits information to TrendNet (also requires agreeing to separate user agreement terms).

Other than that your post should be very useful for others doing AiMesh - so much so, you should probably break it out into its own thread ...

Thanks! And you make good points that I am concerned about.

I'll revisit my use of Quad9... still trying it out and appreciate your feedback. Presently, I'm more inclined to trust government over Big Tech (read Google). I despise how Google constructs its products and service to monitor/track my activity online... so I'm not inclined to use their DNS. Admittedly, that is an angry/emotional response.

Since DNS is a necessary ingredient for everyone, I'd prefer it be universally and publicly maintained for the common good (read government or some better organization we can oversee).

Similar privacy concerns with using AiProtection... still trying it out. Using it does seem to increase the incidents of browser disruption. I'm trying to determine if it's worth it... is it saving me from malicious websites? It hasn't detected any internal exploits yet... if it does that, then it will get my favorable attention. I do have it running at Grandma's house where it is getting a much stronger workout... she has dementia and violates all the rules for safe computing online.

OE

Well cross your fingers because my two GT-AC5300s running for a day and half no issues. But I Just1 noticed when going thru wireless logs that each band is set in a AP mode and so does the router. I hoping there was a way to get in the node click then node button but I will probably have to nuke it again.. Man the devices in my house have claimed right dow! So much 2.4MHz

This code version is ridiculous. What was ASUS thinking? What is the advantage - anyone know?
I have two RT-AC5300s (one router, one node) and and RT-86U (node) in a mesh. I use wired backhaul, selected the Ethernet (not Auto) option. This code cannot be overriden to go back to revision-1. SO....I did the worst thing, called ASUS and they started out with the "I have no idea what you are talking about". Swell.
I detached the two wired nodes from the router (AIMesh) and saw the port status on the router respond normally, as I expected: AC5300 node goes to 5GHz, plug it back in, resumes wired. Great. The other node, times out, goes offline (as expected, then I plug it back in and it resumes wired. Perfect. The AIMesh port statuses on the AIMesh menu works, as it should. I canNOT fix the WiFi. Not the 5GHz-2 for the "new version", but even for the 2.4GHz - it's all messed up.
I'm getting on a basic config, here, downloading or finding my rev-1 and moving back down to the revision.
I told ASUS and I was quite sincere - please fix this. If they don't I'll find a garbage can, bust them up, throw them in the trash, take pics and send them my proof I'm done with ASUS.
There are MANY choices these days and MANY do it better. Even Merlin must have something better than this stock piece of junk. Did they EVER test it with UAT? Doubt it.

This code version is ridiculous. What was ASUS thinking? What is the advantage - anyone know?
I have two RT-AC5300s (one router, one node) and and RT-86U (node) in a mesh. I use wired backhaul, selected the Ethernet (not Auto) option. This code cannot be overriden to go back to revision-1. SO....I did the worst thing, called ASUS and they started out with the "I have no idea what you are talking about". Swell.
I detached the two wired nodes from the router (AIMesh) and saw the port status on the router respond normally, as I expected: AC5300 node goes to 5GHz, plug it back in, resumes wired. Great. The other node, times out, goes offline (as expected, then I plug it back in and it resumes wired. Perfect. The AIMesh port statuses on the AIMesh menu works, as it should. I canNOT fix the WiFi. Not the 5GHz-2 for the "new version", but even for the 2.4GHz - it's all messed up.
I'm getting on a basic config, here, downloading or finding my rev-1 and moving back down to the revision.
I told ASUS and I was quite sincere - please fix this. If they don't I'll find a garbage can, bust them up, throw them in the trash, take pics and send them my proof I'm done with ASUS.
There are MANY choices these days and MANY do it better. Even Merlin must have something better than this stock piece of junk. Did they EVER test it with UAT? Doubt it.

So what is your problem? AIMesh works great. I’m just guessing you didn’t do a full factory reset after the firmware upgrade.

I have no idea what you are talking about either... what is the issue? What is UAT?

Merlin does not support AiMesh.

Consider giving your equipment away... many people would use it.

OE

what you mean by code version? 384.20308? 384 is the main code branch, and 20308 is the version?
current latest is 384.45149
here is where you can find it when you log in into your router
Untitled.png

I have no idea what you talking about "revision-1" (maybe you are confused with hardware revision and the firmware, that's what i felt) and not really clear on what issue you are experiencing.

btw, RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300 are two different model. It is something that you want to make sure as well.

if anything, just perform factory reset or nvram clear (personally prefered) and start reconfigure everything from scratch with minimal setting.

explain what you are trying to achieve.
I am sure there are more ppl able to provide their experience if you can clearly explain what you are trying to achieve.
i.e I want to build ai-mesh network that utilize 3 band via wired connection. but currently unable to connect to 5Ghz-2 ? and tell ppl what you have changed so far.

I dont mind you dump all the AC5300/AC86 to me :p still using my old 5+year ac68 for my mesh node

Good luck

Last edited:
Multiple attempts at adding my bluecave ASUS to 88u have failed. Finds bluecave ok as node and fails at 99% with warning
- someone else is trying to add AiMesh wait 1 min
-blah blah

What’s going on ?

Update;;;::;

Enabled snartcinnect and it worked.

But now only one SSID only2.4 and not 5ghz

How to get both?

Last edited:
Multiple attempts at adding my bluecave ASUS to 88u have failed. Finds bluecave ok as node and fails at 99% with warning
- someone else is trying to add AiMesh wait 1 min
-blah blah

What’s going on ?

Update;;;::;

Enabled snartcinnect and it worked.

But now only one SSID only2.4 and not 5ghz

How to get both?

Are both 2.4 and 5.0 radios working... can you see their signals with a WiFi Analyzer app? You'll need both radios ON for AiMesh.

OE

Are both 2.4 and 5.0 radios working... can you see their signals with a WiFi Analyzer app? You'll need both radios ON for AiMesh.

OE
On router settings page it appears to have assigned both frequencies to separate devices.
Appears to ?prefer ? 2.4 as that’s the only SSID active after smart connect enabled.
Also noticed intermittent slowness however overall speed tests increased.
Moreover needed to enable game mode to enable streaming games

On router settings page it appears to have assigned both frequencies to separate devices.
Appears to ?prefer ? 2.4 as that’s the only SSID active after smart connect enabled.
Also noticed intermittent slowness however overall speed tests increased.
Moreover needed to enable game mode to enable streaming games

When Dual-Band Smart Connect is enabled, the same SSID is assigned to both bands, 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. Smart Connect is then suppose to steer your wireless client to connect to the preferred band. Your client will only see one SSID, but two identical SSIDs should be broadcasting. A WiFi Analyzer app can help you to see this.

OE