What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Updated my AC-68U to the latest version last night and within minutes of rebooting my router, the "System Log - General Log" began filling up with the following message every 10 seconds:

Feb 6 12:00:51 lldpd[286]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available
Feb 6 12:00:51 lldpd[286]: unable to send packet on real device for eth1: No buffer space available
Feb 6 12:01:01 lldpd[286]: unable to send packet on real device for eth1: No buffer space available
Feb 6 12:01:01 lldpd[286]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available
.....etc.

Updated my AC-68U to the latest version last night and within minutes of rebooting my router, the "System Log - General Log" began filling up with the following message every 10 seconds:

Feb 6 12:00:51 lldpd[286]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available
Feb 6 12:00:51 lldpd[286]: unable to send packet on real device for eth1: No buffer space available
Feb 6 12:01:01 lldpd[286]: unable to send packet on real device for eth1: No buffer space available
Feb 6 12:01:01 lldpd[286]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available
.....etc.
You can ignored it. The message will not impact any functionality.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

Just only sync the settings from Your rt-ac5300 to rt-ac3100. When you enable it in rt-ac5300, rt-ac3100 will be enabled.

When I do that, the clients bounce around and end up on the nodes (3100's) which, most of the time, are further away. Very few clients remain on the 5300, especially on the 5-1 radio. They typically get kicked down to the 2.4 radio of the 5300 or one of the nodes.

When I do that, the clients bounce around and end up on the nodes (3100's) which, most of the time, are further away. Very few clients remain on the 5300, especially on the 5-1 radio. They typically get kicked down to the 2.4 radio of the 5300 or one of the nodes.

You mentioned that client are steering between 5300 and 3100. I think it's roaming/handoff.

For everyone complaining about factory resets im no expert but do understand that for a feature to work properly it would require both the service running and the saved settings for it to run properly. If either or both are corrupt or incompatible with newer firmware chages, importing old broken or incompatible settings clearly wont make it run smoothly thus the need for factory reset ans save fresh settings. Just my opinion of course :)

You mentioned that client are steering between 5300 and 3100. I think it's roaming/handoff.

Clients are steering but for no good reason. They are going to a node that is further away even though they are not being physically moved.

Once I turn off the 5-1 radio on the 5300 and change the smart connect rule to look like that of a 3100, everything gets steered properly. They remain on the closest radio until the client is physically moved closer to another radio.

Attachments

• 5300.png
    5300.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 550
Everytime DHCP renew samba start and stop once?

eg:
Feb 7 01:02:50 LAN network changes (%s/%s --> %s/%s). : 192.168.11.3
Feb 7 01:02:50 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 13970:notify_rc stop_samba
Feb 7 01:02:50 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 13970:notify_rc start_samba
Feb 7 01:02:50 rc_service: waitting "stop_samba" via udhcpc_lan ...
Feb 7 01:02:51 Samba Server: smb daemon is stoped

I can control the frequency by changing DHCP lease time

Clients are steering but for no good reason. They are going to a node that is further away even though they are not being physically moved.

Once I turn off the 5-1 radio on the 5300 and change the smart connect rule to look like that of a 3100, everything gets steered properly. They remain on the closest radio until the client is physically moved closer to another radio.
I'm also seeing this with my 5300 and 68p (converted 1900).

As I said, smart connect, we call "band steering" , the functionality does not handle client to connect/select which node will be connected. It handle client to connect/select which band will be connected in individual node.

If you can send log for me, maybe I can get some information from log.

As I said, smart connect, we call "band steering" , the functionality does not handle client to connect/select which node will be connected. It handle client to connect/select which band will be connected in individual node.

If you can send log for me, maybe I can get some information from log.

That's the way I though it would work as well. It appears to me that on my setup, the band steering is kicking the client off of that band but before it gets on another band of the same router, it moves to a different router. Once I set it back up the default way, I will send you the log. I'm a little hesitant to do it since it's so stable right now.

George

That's the way I though it would work as well. It appears to me that on my setup, the band steering is kicking the client off of that band but before it gets on another band of the same router, it moves to a different router. Once I set it back up the default way, I will send you the log. I'm a little hesitant to do it since it's so stable right now.

George

So I understand what you did so I can try the same...you've used smart connect for only your 5Ghz bands instead of all 3 correct? Also, what ssids display with this setup? Is it still only showing one across your home?

According RT-AC68U don't support SmartConnect, this function will not propagate to the RT-AC68U. It's applied in the RT-AC88U only.

Ok...So.. I have an RT-AC86U that supports Smart Connect as my main. I have an RT-AC1900P as a node. I'm pretty sure the AC1900p didn't support Smart Connect from a few firmware revisions ago.

With AiMesh, I only sign into the GUI of the Main Router RT-AC86U. How do I know what features are supported by my entire AiMesh? Main and nodes?? That seems like a big problem to me. I should be able to tell from the main router that certain features will not work depending on the nodes used? Otherwise I need to disconnect nodes, reset them, check their firmware and see if the function is there?

Additionally, I have AiMesh enabled with Smart Connect right now. RT-AC86U main and RT-AC1900p node. Using Wifi Manager, I can see the same SSID 4 times. Main: 2.4/5ghz and Node: 2.4/5ghz.

So on the main: devices will switch from 2.4<-> 5ghz based on the device and also the router will automatically knock devices off the network (2.4 or 5) and switch to the other band, if the rules match.
On the Node: Devices will only switch from 2.4<->5.hz based on the device (either automatically or manually).
Is this correct?

Is it better not to use Smart Connect at all in this case?

Last edited:
Just posting in this thread since it is still an issue in this version of firmware. Issue with AiMesh turned on. Main RT-AC86u, Node RT-AC1900P. Two computers connected via ethernet. Put PC2 in standby. PC1 gets disconnected from network. Resume PC2 and PC1 gets reconnected to network.

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

@arthurlien This doesn't seem to be happening today. Did something change? Did you guys get into my router and change something or is this totally random?

I also don't see all the net rate limit/callbacks messages anymore.

So I understand what you did so I can try the same...you've used smart connect for only your 5Ghz bands instead of all 3 correct? Also, what ssids display with this setup? Is it still only showing one across your home?

Not exactly... I have tri-band smart connect set up but I turned off the 5-1 radio in the professional tab under wireless. Then I adjusted the smart connect rule in the network tools under smart connect rule as the attached picture shows. It was my way to mimic the default settings of the 3100's (which serve as aimesh nodes in my setup). I'm basically trying to make the 5300 just like the 3100, with only two radios, one 2.4 and one 5.

I have tried switching to the 5-1 radio, rather than the 5-2, with the same setup but am not getting the same stable results. Maybe my 5-1 radio is messed up.

George

Attachments

• 5300.png
    5300.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 457
@arthurlien This doesn't seem to be happening today. Did something change? Did you guys get into my router and change something or is this totally random?

I also don't see all the net rate limit/callbacks messages anymore.

It's impossible to access your device before you give us the permission.

Agreed on the last point. Stuff like that should be a no brainer. Why should we have to re-input all that basic level stuff for every update? That's insane. If Asus can implement some way to back up more basic settings prior to a factory reset, that would be amazing.

I think a factory reset would fix a lot of issues for some people. If you want to save your settings and factory reset you could try this utility.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/NVRAM-Save-Restore-Utility

It's pretty much necessary to use roaming assistant, but it can be problematic, even with AiMesh.

I am using VoWifi (usual calls, but instead of 3G/LTE, phone uses your Wifi connection).

With RA enabled, when I walk around the house, calls get dropped off.

This is because RA will terminate the Wifi connection when signal is below treshold, and eventhough phone immediately connects to new Node / Main router, with better signal, it drops the call anyway.

I really hoped AiMesh would bring us a bit smarter roaming solution, smooth handover, but it does not. It's a great tool for extending the signal with little effort and administration, but that's all.

This is the problem of the client device or app that do not support roaming. Only router can never provides seamless roaming without the help from client device or app.

AFA factory reset, I've been using a rule-of-thumb that I reset when the major version number changes (ie 382 - 384). That is because there likely will be differences in the memory mapping, the number of configurable values, and/or the defaults. Not all settings are viewable/changeable in the gui.

Also, I reset NVRAM whenever a different CFE is flashed. That's a lot less often.

It would be much easier if user customizations could be exported/imported separately. Things such as client names, static IPs, passwords, SSIDs.... Maybe even stored in a json text file.

You can always work this out easily if you can do a bit command line.
1. Enable SSH in the settings
2. SSH to the router
3. use command line "nvram show > settings.txt

Then you can get all the settings in settings.txt, download it in your computer and you can found client names, static IPs, ......

Then you can make up a script such as:

nvram set xxx=xxx
nvram commit

to add the settings back easily. After adding all the settings, you can reboot the device and all done.

You can always work this out easily if you can do a bit command line.
1. Enable SSH in the settings
2. SSH to the router
3. use command line "nvram show > settings.txt

Then you can get all the settings in settings.txt, download it in your computer and you can found client names, static IPs, ......

Then you can make up a script such as:

nvram set xxx=xxx
nvram commit

to add the settings back easily. After adding all the settings, you can reboot the device and all done.
I understood some of those words. Any hand holding guides out there for people like me that can follow directions but don't know how to do what you just said?

Ok...So.. I have an RT-AC86U that supports Smart Connect as my main. I have an RT-AC1900P as a node. I'm pretty sure the AC1900p didn't support Smart Connect from a few firmware revisions ago.

With AiMesh, I only sign into the GUI of the Main Router RT-AC86U. How do I know what features are supported by my entire AiMesh? Main and nodes?? That seems like a big problem to me. I should be able to tell from the main router that certain features will not work depending on the nodes used? Otherwise I need to disconnect nodes, reset them, check their firmware and see if the function is there?

Additionally, I have AiMesh enabled with Smart Connect right now. RT-AC86U main and RT-AC1900p node. Using Wifi Manager, I can see the same SSID 4 times. Main: 2.4/5ghz and Node: 2.4/5ghz.

So on the main: devices will switch from 2.4<-> 5ghz based on the device and also the router will automatically knock devices off the network (2.4 or 5) and switch to the other band, if the rules match.
On the Node: Devices will only switch from 2.4<->5.hz based on the device (either automatically or manually).
Is this correct?

Is it better not to use Smart Connect at all in this case?

As a simple summary of mesh features:
Roaming assistance: kick off connection of a STA with weak signal and steer to connect to another router/node with better signal
Smart Connect: kick off connection of a STA based on the rules and steer to another channel within the same node