What's new

[OFFICIAL] RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.382.18547

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3.0.0.4.382.18547 lowered my HDD transfer speeds to 5MB/s from above 30 using USB3.0 and interference on 2.4GHz disabled...
Darn, first time I had issues with this so went back to to 3.0.0.4.380.7743 and all good again...

Is your HDD format on EXT2/3/4? Because it could be the same behaviour that RT-AC86U has with 382 baseline and SMB transfer (it randomly drops the SMB reads from >100Mb/s to 15 Mb/s). FTP is not affected by this problem, so I think it should be related to some I/O or EXT filesystem issues and SMB transfers

Yes, mine is Ext 3 and it worked fantastic ever since I did format Ext 3 a couple years ago, not one error.
No way I would go back to FAT or NTFS...only good 3.0.0.4.380.7743 works in that respect.
I chatted with Asus, suggested first to factory restore and set up router from scratch, always a pain with all the settings...they then said that may not help since firmware rollback immediately resolved the issue...
They somehow logged the issue with their engineering team...

Are your FTP transfers affected by this?

Wonder why Asus dosen't give an Ext3/4 formatting option from the router interface and only FAT/NTFS/NFS options are available from the drop down?

Upgraded the router through the GUI, which seems quite ok.
I anyhow reverted to Factory Defaults and manual configured the router again.
I noticed various cosmetic updates and little additions in the GUI and one nasty GUI bug.
  • New icons for the left navigation pane.
  • IPv4 and IPv6 Firewall settings combined on one page.
  • New Factory Defaults - Initialize option, next to the Restore button.
  • Administration - System page re-arranged (e,g. SSH and FTP settings above each other).
  • Administration - System: new HDD Hibernation option (as mentioned in the release notes).
  • Status pane shows a new field with network port status and speed.
  • Status pane does not update CPU and RAM usage and it crashes after a while (it automatically reverts back to the Login page, or it does after clicking another item on the screen). Same result with Firefox and Edge.

I finally updated today, and so far, nothing problematic. WiFi speeds appear the same, and all aspects of functionality are fine.

What's your ext. HDD formatting?
Curious if others experience slow transfer speed using EXT4 and the new firmware, or just me?

Sorry, I'm not using the NAS function. I have a dedicated ASUSTOR 6102T for that.

- Did you notice the overall interface responsiveness being a bit on the slow side?
- Initialize option, do you know what that means?
- HDD Hibernation option? My ext HDD always timed out after inactivity for a while, takes a while to spin up when you access it after it timed out, what is this hibernation option doing?

The GUI seems sometimes less responsive.
Internet speed is as usual for me, I have not performed an ultimate speedtest yet.

Restore:
upload_2017-11-24_7-10-33.png

Initialize:
upload_2017-11-24_7-11-15.png

HDD Hibernation:
upload_2017-11-24_7-12-4.png

Im surprised you get those speeds at all.
Wan-lan speeds are noted at 754.5Mpbs

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/old-tools/charts/router/bar/74-wan-to-lan
...snip
when i researched the RT-AC68U on SNB using WAN to LAN as a filter the stated d/l max was 931Mb/s.
here's a recent one on my setup here in Auckland, NZ on a 1Gb / 500 Mb connection
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6807805381

not bad hey? And i'm consistently seeing these speeds or similar peak hour or not

Mbps (Megabit per second)
Can you attach an external HDD to it, EXT4 formatting and check transfer speeds?
I'm getting super slow 5MB/s but only with that new Firmware, 30MB/s with previous firmware transferring files using SMB.
yep Mbps. I did a new search and the later RT-AC68U is shown as 938 Mbps WAN to LAN. Mine's an A2 model (orig F/W ver was 3.0.0.4.378) which is a 2014 model and i'm running ASUS Merlin 380.6_4
edit: i'm also running the firehol script mentioned here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...ock-script-using-ipset-v4-and-v6.38935/page-1 here's another speedtest i've just done now whilst streaming the Cricket (Ashes - Australia v England) and doing general uploads to my 3rd party backup site http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6823071443

Last edited:
ok. well. my 2Tb ext hdd is an Apple formatted one used for time machine.
supposedly the Asus router, according to the doco is supposed to support HFS+ for Time Machine backups - again one of the reasons i bought this 2014 machine.
but no
do i have Linux computers yep.
EDIT: i have 2 Sun X2200 M2 servers available at home but they are loud.
let me know what test you want and i'll see if i can attempt it.
i have a few PCs, Virtual Box VMs and HDDs that i can spin up

edit2:
re: your firmware? from my unix side it's a Samba issue. and yeah you;ll go "thanks" but what Linux flavour, kernel ver, samba vr are you running versus what is the server you are trying to connect to (version, flavour of Linux etc).

This will help determine what is the issue.

Last edited:
Samba has been around for many years, so it's unlikely your issue is a new one. Sorry to be blunt.
going thru normal stuff here which you may have done:

test it with copying to another computer via scp or sftp/ftp
test it with USB stick

mount/share if windows a shared space, on the network copy it that way - see what delay you have

edited: typos

Last edited:
All OK again in my case with USB 3.0 4TB WD My Book formatted to EXT4 connected to RT-AC68U, interference disabled.

Initially right after new firmware, the SMB transfer speed went from 30 MB/s to 5 MB/s. Rolling back firmware immediately solved the issue back to 30MB/s

Then unmounted the HDD, plugged back in, turned on Share and Media Server and right away speed is back up to now 48 MB/s, perfect for my use.
To be honest I have no clue how that all happened but basically don't think it has anything to do with the new firmware 3.0.0.4.382.18547
Couldn't access my home computer with the iOS AiCloud App so finally decided to restore the router and voila, everything is working fine.
I'll probably do so after future firmware upgrades as well before doing much else...

V1JNfJ9.jpg

Last edited:
Traffic Analyzer only accounts for Internet traffic.
My RT-AC68R has always counted LAN traffic as well as WAN in the Traffic Analyzer. Previously my RT-N65R only counted WAN traffic.

I've always used Asus' firmware.

Could I have a setting wrong somewhere?