What's new

ONQ network panel and Pre-wired house no idea if works

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So curently.....

1 - Virgin Hub - Velop (WAN port) - ethernet socket which connects to the ONQ - POE switch which then feeds the remaining outlets on the ONQ off of which the 2nd Velop node is connected on the 1st floor landing for wired backhaul

When trying to reconnect the NH I have done so slightly differently as follows

2 - Virgin Hub - ethernet socket which connects to the ONQ - POE switch which then feeds the remaining outlets on the ONQ off of which I have connected the NH in the same 1st floor landing spot as the 2nd velop node. Before I got the POE switch the NH worked just fine in this setup using the traditional switch in place of the POE one.

The Virgin hub (awful thing) is not in modem mode as I just never got that working so I just left it in router mode and turned off the wifi and the NH was connected directly and working fine this way before.

The logic behind maybe going back to the NH over the Velop is the perfomance of the NH is pretty great and covers the whole house when placed on the 1st floor just as well as the velop and to have one less box in the pile of spaghetti that sits next to/behind my TV

Is the NH configured as an access point or a router? Are you connecting to the NH's WAN port or a LAN port?

So when using the Velops the first unit was configured as the main router for your LAN, doing DHCP, DNS, etc. Now that you've removed that the Virgin Hub is providing all of those functions. Log into the Hub and double check that you haven't disabled its DHCP server.

Thanks, was not something I did consciously but I'll check.

Annoying thing is when the NH is connected there is obviously a network there but no device will connect to it, internet or no internet.

Annoying thing is when the NH is connected there is obviously a network there but no device will connect to it, internet or no internet.
OK didn't quite realise that you can't even connect to the NH. Maybe it's somehow got confused because your IP address range is now different. I would hard reset the NH, connect a laptop directly to it by Ethernet and set it up again as an access point.

Velop is back on right now and the velop was in router mode which maybe could have contributed as in theory before both would have been in router mode. I have now put the velop into bridge mode so will try the NH again later, if it still does not work then I guess I'll have to try the factory reset.

On the fence as to what one to keep but wanted to give the NH an extended run on the 1st floor before I sold it, especially as one of my cats wiped out the hinge on it which will affect resale!

Is the Virgin Hub in modem mode or router mode? If it's in modem mode it must be connected directly to the Nighthawk's (in router mode) WAN port. It should not go via a switch. It would help if you could post a diagram showing how all of your devices are connected together.

Actually you can go via a switch if you're able to config vlans and can live with the bandwidth limits trunking involve - though obviously in this case it's easiest to just direct patch the modem to the routers wan port at the patch panel

The NH still did not work so will try the factory reset today.

It is very odd and I can only assume that something is going on with the Virgin hub when I connect the NH but as I cannot log into either admin when I do there is no way to know!

Not being able to get into either device sounds like an ip conflict which could happen if the nighthawk in ap mode fails to get a dhcp lease and self-assigns an ip that is the same as the hub ( since everyone seems to 192.168.1.1 as the default)

Try pulling out the cable in it's wan port, rebooting it and connecting to it over WiFi to check it's settings are sane.

I just factory reset the NH and no dice, I think it is just a case that feeding the WAN port through the switch/ONQ wiring does not work if I plug the NH directly into the Virgin hub it is ok.

It has made my decision for me though as the NH is just too big to sit by the Virgin hub so I’ll be sticking with the Velop which in fairness is pretty good.

Did anyone verify that the ONQ wiring actually works for ethernet ?
i did not see any mention in the chain. Could be as simple as inconsistent termination pattern between ends.

The wiring seems to be working ok. Wired backhaul on the Velops is working (hard to tell for sure with the Velops but the speed from the nodes indicates wired BH)

My NAS is also working fine on another socket in the house and of course the POE injector is also doing it’s job.

I think it’s something to do with the POE switch, as I said above using a conventional powered switch previously I never had this issue.

If there is too much voltage drop over the run or insufficient current at the endpoint, then it can result in weird behavior. Has been seen on APs before. Have you tried the injector at the end of the run (between the wall plate and the device needing power ?

It’s the switch!

There was no link light from the internet feed but there was on the port to the Velop node. Then I disconnected and tried again and then there was a link light from the feed but no link light to the other one!

Just plugged in the old powered switch and all worked fine

Suspecting the POE switch is faulty. Powered it using the mains adapter to rule out an injector issue and it seems incapable of maintaining a link to more than one device.

Old school powered switch is fine.

Never done that with a switch before, just assumed they usually work OTTB. Will head off the NG support to figure it out, worth a try.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!