What's new

ONQ network panel and Pre-wired house no idea if works

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the out of the box settings for those smart managed switches should just work - but when logged in as well as being able to check/update the firmware, you can also view the port status which may give you a clue as to what’s going on

first thing I’d do is log in to it, check/update fhe firmware then factory reset it just in case it’s got some weird values in the nvram causing it to act weird

Logged into the switch and did a reset but could not figure out how to update the FW. Downloaded it but updating it via maintenance just failed.

There was a green ethernet setting that was on before the reset but even with that off the issue persists. Both link lights display for a few seconds and then one eventually switches off.

log back in an check what version of the firmware it has currently - if it’s MILES behind current you may well find you can’t just flash to the current in one step, you maty need to apply the intermediate updates as well

also make sure when on the maintenance/download page that you HAVE selected 'firmware' as the upload type, not configuration and set the upload mode to http (so you can upload from your browser)

It's also possible you used the maintenance/upload page - netgear is the reverse of most of the world and when they say 'upload' they mean _from_ the switch _to_ another device (for backup), so you want 'download' to pull a firmware/config file _from_ another device _to_ the switch

That is what is confusing, there is no download button anywhere and it had to be done manually downloading the FW and using the TFTP or HTTP methods.

Anyway got it updated ok eventually, did a factory reset but the issue persists. It has to be faulty I guess.

Going to try a different switch (found a TP Link one with pass through) if that does not work I'll probabnly give up and probably swap my Linksys for an Orbi and just go with wireless backhaul

The linksys was ok on the suspect switch? Could you somehow be triggering the loop back protection with the nighthawk plugged in, that would cause the switch to turn the offending ports off

The linksys was ok on the suspect switch? Could you somehow be triggering the loop back protection with the nighthawk plugged in, that would cause the switch to turn the offending ports off
No, this was what actually prompted me to check the switch, I checked the sysinfo on the velop and it was wireless backhaul I guess the wireless backhaul is better on this one than I thought.

The manual says that a loop is indicated by 'Link/ACT LED is flashing continuously on all connected ports and the network is disabled' which is not the case but I guess given it is hooked up to the ONQ it could be a loop.

The old powered switch is fine in the same setup though It is netgear too a GS108 vs a GS108T for the new POE one) and if it is a loop issue then I would have no way around it given how I want to use it. If it is a loop then every chance I guess that the TP link replacement I have ordered will not work.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!