What's new

OpenVPN for Asus RT-N16?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dave Kolb

Occasional Visitor
I downloaded and installed "Asuswrt-Merlin - build 378.50 (7-Feb-2015)" which the readme-merlin.txt notes implied it had OpenVPN CLient and Server (not advanced) yet the VPN menu did not show any OpenVPN support. Perhaps I missed it. Should it be there or not? If not, does any ASUS or Merlin firmware version support OpenVPN Server and Client? I'm current running ASUS firmware "3.0.0.4.378_4850-g727db45" and also see no OpenVPN support yet their FAQ dialogs show it in the examples.

Any reason the RT-N16 was dropped? I thought it was a pretty capable router.

If I can't do OpenVPN on the RT-N16, what is the current best ASUS router supported by ASUS and Merlin?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,
No fun with OpenVPN on MIPS routers and the N16 has a very small memory which simple do not work anymore with the latest (most secure!) OpenVPN implementation. :oops:
If I can't do OpenVPN on the RT-N16, what is the current best ASUS router supported by ASUS and Merlin?
Go for a ARM based router with the highest CPU clock avaliable - would be the RT-AC5300 with 1.4 GHz CPU clock - but not yet supported by Merlin. :rolleyes:

As a good intermediate step you can go for the AC68U (or better the AC68P with higher base CPU clock) and overclock it as outlined here - the AC68U/P is supported by Merlin (as you can see from my footer)! ;)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

RT-AC68U or RT-AC56U (when wireless is less important) would be best bang for the buck.

I would not recommend RT-AC5300 right now as it`s future is currently unclear from Merlin side.
If you really want/need an 1,4Ghz CPU go for RT-AC3100 or RT-AC88U instead, both are supported by Merlins firmware. But IMHO they are both overpriced right now...

Last edited:
RT-AC68U or RT-AC56U (when wireless is less important) would be best bang of the buck.
Thx. Wireless is important as currently I'm unable to get CAT5 to my IPTV or my wife's home office, and I have some wireless speaker plans.

Then go for RT-AC68U/P/R and avoid RT-AC87U, it has its own can of worms with 5Ghz wireless.

Last edited:
Just ordered the RT-AC68U and the RT-N16 will become my backup!

Any suggestions for a well matched and reasonably priced 802.11AC PCIe adapter?

Thanks!

I would recommend Asus PCE-AC68 but it is a bit pricey...
TP-Link Archer T8E is much cheaper and should do the job as well.

Ofc there is also an OS factor...with what OS you plan to use that.

I downloaded and installed "Asuswrt-Merlin - build 378.50 (7-Feb-2015)" which the readme-merlin.txt notes implied it had OpenVPN CLient and Server (not advanced) yet the VPN menu did not show any OpenVPN support. Perhaps I missed it. Should it be there or not? If not, does any ASUS or Merlin firmware version support OpenVPN Server and Client? I'm current running ASUS firmware "3.0.0.4.378_4850-g727db45" and also see no OpenVPN support yet their FAQ dialogs show it in the examples.

Thanks,
Dave

OpenVPN was not supported on the RT-N16 because it only had 32 Kb of nvram, and keys/certificates were taking too much nvram. And accidentally filling up nvram leads to losing your entire router configuration.

RT-N16 support was dropped in part due to the numerous limitation of the 32 KB of nvram, and also because I had too many models to support, and the RT-N16 was an old model, and also the least downloaded one. Also, plenty of reliable alternatives for the RT-N16, starting with Tomato.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!