1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

optimizing roaming between APs sharing the same SSID

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Mine Ong, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Mine Ong

Mine Ong Occasional Visitor

hi all,

I finally swallowed my pride, ditched my AiMesh setup and reverting back to using multiple APs sharing the same SSID. The dream of having a centralized management for wifi was simply not attainable: I am battling constantly with unstable wifi with frequent drop-out. At least with multiple APs, I know for certain that once connected, the wifi connection will be stable.

What I am trying to do is to make sure a wireless client is able to roam freely between multiple APs, always connecting to the strongest APs. I noticed that with AsusWRT, everything in default (after nvram reset, but set up in AP mode with wired backhaul), a wireless client will try to stay with the original AP and not necessary the AP with the strongest signal.

In addition to the asus main router, I have 2 identical asus router set up as AP with wired backhaul, all sharing the same SSID but at different channel.

My question is: is there a guide in this forum for optimizing a setup with multiple APs ahring the same SSID?

regards,

2. Smokindog

Smokindog Regular Contributor