What's new

Optware and Sabnzbd

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AshAudis

New Around Here
Hi, i don't know if this is the best place to ask, it's the best i've come across. If there is another place i would be better at to get this information, please forward me on.

I've recently got a Asus AC56U Router on which i have installed the Merlin Firmware. I would like to be able to run Sabnzbd from it as the usenet client built in to the firmware is lacking in features.

How i understand it, it is possible to do such a thing by first installing download master and then uninstalling it, that puts optware on the router allowing me to go ahead with the installing of sabnzbd but that's where i get stuck.

Guide 1
http://linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/setup-usenet-client-with-optware.37963/
On this guide i run in to various errors.

Guide 2
http://www.acryan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3464
I know this guide isn't specifically designed for my router but it was worth a try, that guide seems to be work and the service even starts but trying to access the page with 192.168.1.1:8080/sabnzbd/ simply doesn't work, it's like nothing is running.

Other Information
I'm using a Mac but can access a Windows PC which is what i've used to create a Ext4 2gb Partition for optware. I'm using terminal to ssh to the router which i can do but have little experience in linux based systems so i'm limited to commands that i read in guides. It might be that the guides im using simply will not work with my router, if that's the case could anyone suggest a good usenet client that i could maybe get to work?

If you need any more information just ask. Thank you in advance.

I use nzbget+nzbtomedia coupled with sickbeard,couchpotato and headphones on entwate and it works really great.
I tried sabnzbd but it is too heavy on router and getting crashed within 10 minutes.

You can install nzbget in optware, it is available in optware repository.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use nzbget+nzbtomedia coupled with sickbeard,couchpotato and headphones on entwate and it works really great.

Would you please post a tutorial or elaborate on your setup here? Are all of those available on entware, or what else did you need to install to get it up and running?

I have an Asus RT-N66R running the Merlin firmware, and I am want to install all of this. I've just started tonight and was able to install optware, nzbget, and nzbtomedia. (I haven't had luck yet with CouchPotato, and I didn't try the others yet.)

Interested

I'm interested in this as well as i've had two major issues with the stock firmware.

1) It doesn't come close to maxing out my 22MB connection when downloading from usenet servers. If I do it directly from my pc client however, it does.

2) the only nzb I let finish downloading did not get post-processed at all and therefore can't be streamed to any of my devices.

Perhaps you can share if these were issues for you and if there was a simple fix. If not, i'm ready to try the optware options in the first reply.

Thanks!

You could also try getting nzbget running on my Debian build.
Just skip the OwnCloud part.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=15528

I haven't tried it yet as I run nzbget on my NAS but seems like a nice one to try although the hardware isn't that powerful for this kind of thing.

Also if you make use of ssl for you news server in nzbget you have to use RC4-MD5 for a cipher on less powerful machines to get better transfer rates.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!