What's new

Outside signal!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Germain

Occasional Visitor
Hi! I have a rt-ac86u and love it.. but outside of my house I have very poor signal! Can I put an unifi ubiquiti uap-ac-m or something else.. thanks

Hi! I have a rt-ac86u and love it.. but outside of my house I have very poor signal! Can I put an unifi ubiquiti uap-ac-m or something else.. thanks

You can try putting the Asus up higher in your house and putting the antennas in a \ | / configuration to see if you get better outdoor coverage, but barring that an outdoor rated AP hardwired to the asus LAN port will give you good coverage. You may have to play with the roaming assistant (Asus) and MinRSSI (Ubiquiti) settings to have your devices roam between them well and not get "stuck" on the worse signal. There are client side tweaks that are sometimes necessary too to make them roam well.

Thanks👍do you recommend ubiquiti uap-ac-m or tp-link eap255-outdoor

I've used Ubiquiti (indoor and outdoor stuff) and found it to be very good, you do have to install a controller on a PC to configure it, but it does not have to be running all the time. I don't have experience with the TP Link outdoor stuff but I can't see it being terrible, they make decent stuff, probably a bit less feature rich compared to Ubiquiti but I don't think they require the controller software. Their indoor stuff for the most part is fine, again less advanced features then the Ubiquiti but many wouldn't use those anyway.

I have a rt-ac86u and love it.. but outside of my house I have very poor signal!
My experience with the ASUS AX-series routers (AX86 and AX68 so far) has included greatly extended range. Your AC68 is very nice, but an AX replacement might be less expensive than something outdoor-rated.

My experience with the ASUS AX-series routers (AX86 and AX68 so far) has included greatly extended range. Your AC68 is very nice, but an AX replacement might be less expensive than something outdoor-rated.

Generally that only applies if the client is also AX (which I guess is pretty common now).

Surprisingly my AC1900 has excellent 2.4Ghz range, even outside, and my house is wrapped in several layers of aluminum and the 2.4ghz spectrum is quite congested around me. I did have a dedicated outdoor Ubiquiti AP (N150) which obviously gave much better speed and coverage but the radio finally died in it, and the Asus is serving my outdoor needs (very light) just fine. My 5 cameras all have plenty of bandwidth and I can take my laptop out on the patio and work via VPN fine as well. Granted my router is mounted on the ceiling of the 2nd floor, but still impressive range.