What's new

Parental control/Schedule block

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Akki

Occasional Visitor
My Little "Hacker" (self named)

Soooo. Just little story,
I just got in my son's room and he was still watching some Twitch Streams.
I was like wth?
And he goes, I really wanted to watch this so I saved video.... Then he goes, u know that I hacked your router... We started laughing.

90% of time he is connected over LAN. Parental control schedule is set to block at 11pm all kids devices.
What he did was, apperently, unplugged cable and reconnected over WIFI and viola he had internet.
Not that its really big deal as its our little "secret", but is schedule block supposed to work like this?

Thanks

My Little "Hacker" (self named)

Soooo. Just little story,
I just got in my son's room and he was still watching some Twitch Streams.
I was like wth?
And he goes, I really wanted to watch this so I saved video.... Then he goes, u know that I hacked your router... We started laughing.

90% of time he is connected over LAN. Parental control schedule is set to block at 11pm all kids devices.
What he did was, apperently, unplugged cable and reconnected over WIFI and viola he had internet.
Not that its really big deal as its our little "secret", but is schedule block supposed to work like this?

Thanks
You gotta block that MAC address of that wifi interface from the computer as well..

I assumed Windows PC then, take back the admin rights, give him only Power User, install Qustodio on his PC, iphone, you will be amazed how effective it's controlling the time, schedule of the screening!! I got Asus AC68U before just because of the feature,,,after a year I found Qustodio and hooked into it! My kids are just following the rules, screening time, app restriction I created in Qustodio...for now until they are 18 :)! I almost forgot the parental control of the Asus router,, it is just outdated parental control :)

Yeah, the router knows the computers by their networking MAC address. The wifi and ethernet interfaces on the computer have different addresses. You'll want to figure out which of the wifi MAC addresses correspond to his computer, and then add appropriate parental controls for that wifi MAC address.

Sadly, I've found parental controls to be fairly useless. My daughter just downloads tons of content during normal hours, and then watches it whenever she can.

Best 'parental control' I've seen was a customer with a table full of tech toys (and a house full of kids).

The kids were allowed access to their tech between certain hours. Otherwise, the devices were on this table. It (seemed) to work very well for the parents and for the kids.

Can't 'hack' anything if you don't have a device to do it with. :)

I asked the parents when this started and they said from their first toy (yes, the toys were neatly arranged too in another room). The kids ranged from 4 years old to teenagers.

The (varying) times were mornings for a couple of hours, evenings for a few hours, and a 'no device rule' from 7 pm/10 pm (depending on their age) to 7:30 am or so.

The key was that the devices would be locked away if found being used outside of the 'agreed' upon hours.

Mentioning this method to other parents has been hit or miss. Mostly because the new 'system' was attempted when the child's expectations and experience had been very different up to that point. :)

Maybe this will help new parents though?

I have 3 of them and usually i dont have problems, they listen and behave (knock on wood) - this was only as an extra measure.
Yet every once in a while they will ask me to extend times and for sure i would do it, especially if they have friends over or if its weekend.

I have a "hacker" in my household as well. What I did and continue to do is setup static IPs for their devices and block them using the assigned MAC. My kids or spouse don't know the wifi password (she never asked), and the lan jacks in their room aren't plugged into the patch panel unless I do it. ;)

Considering what we are doing when it comes to techy stuff, im glad he is into it as well :) Couple more years probably and those "hackers" will take over our setups!! heheh

Considering what we are doing when it comes to techy stuff, im glad he is into it as well :) Couple more years probably and those "hackers" will take over our setups!! heheh
I gcall it security training. Heck if I can "lock down" my network at home, doing it as work with less skilled people should be easy. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!