What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi RMerlin,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I went into "Open Network and Sharing Center". I then went into the "Manage the Wireless Networks" link. I highlighted the SSID and clicked on "Remove". I clicked on "Add" and selected "Manually create a network profile". I input all the SSID name and security key data in the next window. I go back to the "Change Adapter settings" link and I double click on my newly created wireless profile. I see that it the wireless connection is indeed connecting to the internet under the "IPv4" settings...and then a few seconds later, the IPv4 settings state "No internet access".

It is able to connect to the internet for a few seconds...and then the connection is lost/disconnected.

This is happening on my HP 6450b Probook laptop computer. I finally got the Dell E5520's to work. The HP is frustrating the heck outta me.

Delete and recreate the wireless profile on all affected computers.

Merlin,

Is there a similiar build with the sdk5 for the RT-AC66U?
Hi,

The AC66U is native on SDK6 - not version 5 avaliable.
This was already discussed, and a small search in the forum would give you an instant anser... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

3.0.0.4.374.33 rebooting

I'm seeing random reboots on my RT-AC66U since updating to 3.0.0.4.374.33. The logs seem to restart after the reboot, is there anything specific I can grab to provide more insight as to what might be causing the reboot?

I'm seeing random reboots on my RT-AC66U since updating to 3.0.0.4.374.33. The logs seem to restart after the reboot, is there anything specific I can grab to provide more insight as to what might be causing the reboot?

Not really simple to troubleshoot random reboots since that requires a serial cable connected to the internal serial header to get the actual kernel panic message (if a kernel panic was the cause of the reboot).

Best is to try to simplify your setup in an attempt to isolate the cause, like disabling Download Master, unplugging USB disks, etc... There can be many potential causes for random reboots: could be corrupted USB disks, HW acceleration incompatibility with your ISP, failing to erase nvram and manually reconfigure from scratch after upgrading from a FW version that was too old, corruption in your nvram settings...

I've just given in and regressed my RT-N66U to 3.0.0.374.32 due to very poor performance of my iPhone 5S in 2.4Ghz WiFi. Performance on 5Ghz was fine but I couldn't get the range to use throughout my house, however when I was on 2.4Ghz I would struggle to do most simple tasks such as update twitter etc.

Speed tests on 2.4 Ghz showed me a few hundred kilobits rather than the 5 megabits I usually see.

I am not sure I had this problem from first installing 3.0.0.374.33 or if iOS 7.0.3 has caused it, but trying 802.11d+h on the RT-N66U and reset network settings on the iPhone made no improvement.

I've been pretty diligent keeping up with previous releases (including the 33 beta). The only significant change is I recently enabled IPv6 on the router. I'm not using USB sharing, no JFFS, no guest networks, etc.

I've just given in and regressed my RT-N66U to 3.0.0.374.32 due to very poor performance of my iPhone 5S in 2.4Ghz WiFi. Performance on 5Ghz was fine but I couldn't get the range to use throughout my house, however when I was on 2.4Ghz I would struggle to do most simple tasks such as update twitter etc.

Speed tests on 2.4 Ghz showed me a few hundred kilobits rather than the 5 megabits I usually see.

I am not sure I had this problem from first installing 3.0.0.374.33 or if iOS 7.0.3 has caused it, but trying 802.11d+h on the RT-N66U and reset network settings on the iPhone made no improvement.

Switching to the sdk5 build would have solved your problem, as it uses the exact same driver as build 374.32.

I've been pretty diligent keeping up with previous releases (including the 33 beta). The only significant change is I recently enabled IPv6 on the router. I'm not using USB sharing, no JFFS, no guest networks, etc.

See what happens with IPv6 disabled.

Switching to the sdk5 build would have solved your problem, as it uses the exact same driver as build 374.32.
Thanks RMerlin

I was having a dumb moment - I'm now back on 374.33-sdk5 for the time being.

Hi

With this firmware (not as bad as the one before) my vpn client Service state turns off by itself? Back at my isp and when access the router find openvpn client service state OFF. Their is something buggy with openvpn in the last 2 firmwares for me? Why would this happen please?

Regards

Hi

With this firmware (not as bad as the one before) my vpn client Service state turns off by itself? Back at my isp and when access the router find openvpn client service state OFF. Their is something buggy with openvpn in the last 2 firmwares for me? Why would this happen please?

Regards

Check the system log, it will tell you why the client was stopped.

Today my son complained his tablet dropped internet connection.
He is on Parental Control and I checked. All good.
Allowed until 21:00 and internet dead at 20:00 on his tablet.

Because last Sunday we changed to winter time, I checked the routers internal time.
The GUI shows correct time, as well the "date" command using telnet.
Nothing weird on the System Log page as well.

So I reboot the router and all is OK again.

To me it seems the Parental Control was still running on summer time. :confused:

Oh, I use "Manually set the daylight saving time" on the Admin page.
With previous firmware, setting it 'Automatic GMT+1 Amsterdam' did not work correctly when changing DST.
Not sure if this is already fixed but I don't mind typing the values myself.
That's why it's still on manual. (I type them in after every FW update.)
NTP Server: nl.pool.ntp.org

Last edited:
It's possible that when DST gets applied, all the various services aren't aware of the change, in which case a reboot is required.

I can't think of any simple fix for this at the software level, so people will simply have to reboot as needed on these two yearly events.

OK, no problem.
Thx for the quick reply. :)

Last edited:
See the lengthy wireless troubleshooting post I made in the Asus Wireless forum - all my recommendations are there.

Thanks Merlin.

I reviewed all the recommendation. The suggestion for inSSIDer was great. It clear shows all the available networks for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. When I am in the office, I see plenty of 5GHz networks. At home, I see none.

I tested a number of other routers: WD My Net N900, Asus RT-N66U, Netgear WNDR4500 in addition to the Asus RT-AC66U.

Only the WD My Net N900 shows the 5GHz band. It is also the only router which does not have a Broadcom radio for the 5GHz band.

I have ran out of options and assume the Dell Wireless 1540 card (should be using a broadcom chip) and the 5GHz radios don't play well together. :(

Check the system log, it will tell you why the client was stopped.

The ON switch actually gets turned OFF. Log seems all normal and device related (DHCP) except

Oct 27 20:45:34 miniupnpd[1269]: upnp_event_send: send(): Connection reset by peer
Oct 29 06:12:26 rc_service: httpd 1266:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
Oct 29 06:12:46 rc_service: httpd 1266:notify_rc restart_vpnclient1
Oct 29 06:12:46 kernel: tun: Universal TUN/TAP device driver, 1.6

The latter is me starting it again and I am pretty sure openvpn was functioning and IP vpn'd on the 28th since I check this every day now. Thanks, this never happen while using older versions.

Regards

Thanks Merlin.

I reviewed all the recommendation. The suggestion for inSSIDer was great. It clear shows all the available networks for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. When I am in the office, I see plenty of 5GHz networks. At home, I see none.

I tested a number of other routers: WD My Net N900, Asus RT-N66U, Netgear WNDR4500 in addition to the Asus RT-AC66U.

Only the WD My Net N900 shows the 5GHz band. It is also the only router which does not have a Broadcom radio for the 5GHz band.

I have ran out of options and assume the Dell Wireless 1540 card (should be using a broadcom chip) and the 5GHz radios don't play well together. :(

I was able to get the Dell Wireless 1540 working and would like to share what the trick was.

There is a setting called Xpress Technology in the advanced settings. By enabling Xpress Technology, the 5GHz network showed up.

From Wikipedia: Xpress technology is Broadcom's standards-based frame-bursting approach to improve 802.11 wireless LAN performance. It is a software-based implementation of the frame-bursting originally in the IEEE 802.11e draft specification, and is found in the Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME) specification.

When Xpress is turned on, aggregate throughput (the sum of the individual throughput speeds of each client on the network) can improve by up to 27% in 802.11g-only networks, and up to 75% in mixed 802.11g and 802.11b networks.

The technology achieves higher throughput by re-packaging data, reducing the number of overhead control packets, so that more useful data can be sent during a given amount of time.

Not sure why enabling this options makes a difference.

So it does seem that if I disable IPv6 then the rebooting stops.

IPv6 is not critical for my needs, but I wonder if anyone else has seen similar results? Comcast is my ISP.

So it does seem that if I disable IPv6 then the rebooting stops.

IPv6 is not critical for my needs, but I wonder if anyone else has seen similar results? Comcast is my ISP.

There's currently an issue with Comcast and IPv6 where it fills up your routing tables. I suspect this might be leading to resource exhaustions, followed by a router reboot.

Comcast blames Asus, and Asus blames Comcast. People in the middle of them blame the old kernel used by Asuswrt. So at this point, there is no real solution if that's the same thing affecting you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!