What's new

Per Client DNSMasq

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tanner Harman

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to set individual clients to force into google safe search.

To set it Globally in DNSMasq you insert the string

address=/www.google.com/216.239.38.120

Is there a way to add something in front of it like an ip address or Mac address of a device to create different rules for different devices?

Reasoning behind this is to force google safe search, but to make an exception for certain devices because some members of the Family are needing access to medical information that get blocked by it.

Is there a way to set individual clients to force into google safe search.

To set it Globally in DNSMasq you insert the string

address=/www.google.com/216.239.38.120

Is there a way to add something in front of it like an ip address or Mac address of a device to create different rules for different devices?

Reasoning behind this is to force google safe search, but to make an exception for certain devices because some members of the Family are needing access to medical information that get blocked by it.
See this thread.
Also, the help has more details:
Code:
dnsmasq --help

Thank you for your quick answer. So in short based on your answer, yes it's possible, just needs to be researched and played with to figure it out?

I just tried a few variants looking at the options.
Apparently, using the linked thread's usage does not work.

A work-around might be to use a family-safe DNS provider, then you can set certain clients to use only that DNS in the firmware. If you use OpenDNS, you can configure it to use SafeSearch. It's probably a better option so you don't have to add dozens of google domains to your dnsmasq config just in case they try to find a way around it plus you have more family-safe options.

I have looked into OpenDNS and have not found an option to set up google safe search in there.

I tried this, but it didn't seem to work. Any tips from something like this?

dhcp-host=BC:85:56:EA:E5:B5,set:SafeGoogle
dhcp-host=A0:48:1C:C0:7B:B7,set:SafeGoogle

dhcp-option=tag:SafeGoogle,option:address=/www.google.com/216.239.38.120

I have looked into OpenDNS and have not found an option to set up google safe search in there.

I tried this, but it didn't seem to work. Any tips from something like this?

dhcp-host=BC:85:56:EA:E5:B5,set:SafeGoogle
dhcp-host=A0:48:1C:C0:7B:B7,set:SafeGoogle

dhcp-option=tag:SafeGoogle,option:address=/www.google.com/216.239.38.120

You already looked at this link, right?

You already looked at this link, right?
I did. It works for sure for every client connected to the network. The desire for a per client option is the fact that I want to keep everyone safe, however there are a couple people in the house that need to search medical things and we are wanting to create an exception to the rule for them. I though maybe if I added it per client as above we could get it to be just for that device.

I did. It works for sure for every client connected to the network. The desire for a per client option is the fact that I want to keep everyone safe, however there are a couple people in the house that need to search medical things and we are wanting to create an exception to the rule for them. I though maybe if I added it per client as above we could get it to be just for that device.

Can you then set a custom DNS for yourself and others in the parental control settings to bypass the router's own dnsmasq setting? I'm sort of interested in doing the same but I couldn't get it to work when I tried the link I provided. I'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Can you then set a custom DNS for yourself and others in the parental control settings to bypass the router's own dnsmasq setting? I'm sort of interested in doing the same but I couldn't get it to work when I tried the link I provided. I'll figure it out, I'm sure.
I was able to get it to function properly! When input in the DNSMasq, we can set the global Custom 1 to the Ip Address of the router, Custom 2 to the DNS system you want to use, and Custom 3 respectively.

Ex.
Custom 1 - 192.168.1.1
Custom 2 - 208.67.222.123
Custom 3 - 208.67.220.123

That way it goes in order of resolving URL's from 1, 2, or 3. If you want to set a bypass for an individual client, then you set it to custom 2 and it will resolve from 2 and 3 respectively while skipping the DNSMasq altogether.

I wonder if it would be possible to set up Two DNSMasqs with two different names... That way you could even get super custom with things like YouTube too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!