What's new

Permission denied when trying to create folders and files on a USB drive using ReadyShare / Samba.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdysthe

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I upgraded my router from a R7000 to a R7800. I used an external USB drive with the R7000 formatted with ext4. Everything worked. The drive is detected and mounted on the R7800 and I can browse and read the content, but I can only write to existing folders and new create new folders using the ReadyCloud web interface. When I try to create new folders from my laptop through smb / Samba I get a permission denied error message and when I try to add files to a folder created with ReadyCloud I get the same permission denied message This regardless of what kind of device I use to connect with, Windows / Linux computer, my phone or a laptop.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot and possibly fix this? If I have to I can back up the data and format the drive again.

I am using Voxel's firmware without any modifications and/or additions and everything else works perfectly

in the readyshare does the write access say 'all no password' or 'admin'? it should be 'all no password'

in the readyshare does the write access say 'all no password' or 'admin'? it should be 'all no password'

Yes, 'all no passwords' is set for the old share that was there from the R7000 which works, and the new that doesn't. It was also set for the shares I made to test this. I'm beginning to wonder whether I need to reformat the drive.

I figured this one out. Somehow the permissions for the drive which is formatted ext4 wasn't 777. A couple of the old folders had 777 which were the ones I could still write to. I changed the permission for the volume to 777 and it all worked again. I have no idea who that got changed though, but I have had it hooked up to my old R7000 for nearly three years. I took the time to reformat and check the drive and it works great now with my new R7800

I am using Voxel's firmware without any modifications and/or additions and everything else works perfectly

You are using ext4 with full support of the features of this FS. Samba user by default is "admin". But your disk directories owner is "root". And "admin" is not "root" (superuser).

So just try to mount your shared disk as a root. SMB password for root is the same as your WebGUI. After this you should get full access to disk directories.

Voxel.

You are using ext4 with full support of the features of this FS. Samba user by default is "admin". But your disk directories owner is "root". And "admin" is not "root" (superuser).

So just try to mount your shared disk as a root. SMB password for root is the same as your WebGUI. After this you should get full access to disk directories.

Voxel.

Brilliant. I didn't think of that. Thanks!

So you are saying if I used a file system like fat32 I would not have to worry about this? As a Linux user I prefer ext4, or even xfs, but I could not get xfs to mount on the router. I've read somewhere that a recent update to xfs isn't supported by the router kernel.

So you are saying if I used a file system like fat32 I would not have to worry about this? As a Linux user I prefer ext4, or even xfs, but I could not get xfs to mount on the router. I've read somewhere that a recent update to xfs isn't supported by the router kernel.

If you would use fat32 there should not be such problems. But I would recommend to use ext4 of course. As a Linux user ;-)

For me such restrictions (permissions) are rather advantages but nor drawbacks. You can set e.g. admin owner to selective folders on your disk. Rest are just tabu (read-only, only for root user). Usual for a Linux user.

Voxel.