What's new

Perplexing Problem: Managed Switch shows as offline but is in fact working.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JEofMPK

Regular Contributor
Managed Switch shows as offline but is in fact working.

I have a Managed Netgear switch GS308EPP connected to an XT9. The switch powers 2 IP cams. After migrating my whole network to a different ISP (which should have no relevancy) and physically moving therefore reattaching all hardware I am finding I don’t see the Netgear on the Client list. Am also not able to access the admin page using the Netgear discovery tool. The Netgear switch however shows up as “offline” in the XT9 in the “Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list” section of the router GUI. Both IP cams are working fine.

How to get the Netgear switch to appear back on the client list?

Are you using a different subnet now with the Asus compared to your old Netgear router?

Power cycle and maybe reset the switch. I assign a static IP address at the switch and set the router DHCP to start handing out address at .20. All my cams, NAS, managed switch and servers have static addresses below .19.

Gents, I was dumb. A restart of the switch solved the issue. WIll do the static IP. Am using the same subnet. Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated.

Static IP on network devices is a good idea. The switch comes online faster than the router, probably wasn't able to grab a DHCP IP, and gave up. Reboot made it try again (now that the router was online) and it got one.

The switch will always work, the IP address is just for the management functions, it needs no IP connectivity to act as a plain switch though.

You may also notice even with static IP it may disappear from client list as there is very little traffic to/from the switch (practically none when you aren't in the management interface), and some actually go into a power saving mode and the management interface does nothing until it sees an attempt to connect to it.

However if you leave the client list open for 5-10 seconds the Asus does an ARP scan of the whole subnet and as long as the switch responds (no reason it shouldn't as long as it has an IP) it will pop back up in the list.

How to get the Netgear switch to appear back on the client list?

Have you considered that the WebUI may have crashed?

The GS308 will run just fine based on the last valid configuration that was committed to in the switch side of the SoC.

I've been down this very same path with Netgear switch not responding

That would match the observation that power-cycling the switch fixed it.

I noticed before switching my TP-Link to static that it would come up with its previous DHCP IP for a certain amount of time, then it would give up and have no IP at all if it couldn't get a DHCP response (or maybe it went to a default 192.168 or something). I suspect that is probably the case here, but either way, reboot is the fix.

The way I see it, network infrastructure like APs, switches, routers, should be static, and if you want a persistent IP on anything else, use DHCP reservations, since the network connection to those devices won't come online before the router does. Plus if your router or its DHCP fails, you know what IP is on those devices so either put a backup router in that subnet or set your PC to that range static and you can get into them.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!