What's new

pfSense - long term review (Rangley based) - pfSense SG-4860

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Can buy these direct from the pfSense folks, or pick up the Netgate variant...

Surprising performance out of a Intel Silvermont based unit (Rangley C2558) - seems like pfSense works very well on these boxes.

See the comment below about OpenVPN performance on this unit - the power of Intel QuickAssist and AES-NI instructions...

We use OpenVPN tunnels to both our Fremont, CA and Las Vegas, NV datacenters. These tunnels are able to push line rate speeds of 100mbps to both datacenters simultaneously without issue, and will even support a third to our Sunnyvale, CA pfSense firewall. Furthermore, the tunnels generally stay up for at least 30 days straight.

http://www.servethehome.com/pfsense-sg-4860-6-month-review-great-firewall-router-combo/

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these units, FWIW...

I'd done some research a few months ago and found the Netgate hardware to be quite fairly priced and very compatible with *BSD but JJ Duru pointed out that alternatives are out there.

On one side, I really want to support pfSense and buying an embedded device directly through them lessens the threat of quirks (I dunno if the nanobsd kernel/system is still used, but it's not exactly mainstream, which is a negative), but a "full" PC would be much more versatile.

If you do ultimately get the Netgate device, I am very interested to know about your experience.

I would wait a couple of weeks. Version 2.3 will be out in a couple of weeks. This way you can start with pfsense 2.3.

I would wait a couple of weeks. Version 2.3 will be out in a couple of weeks. This way you can start with pfsense 2.3.

I dunno if starting with a new release is a good idea...

Granted, if you are going to do such a thing, the *BSD branch of Unix is probably the safest bet. (OMG, 802.11n support ~12 months ago... slow down. ;))

If you do ultimately get the Netgate device, I am very interested to know about your experience.

Pulled the trigger on the RCC-VE 2440...

Should be here by the end of the week - shipping from Austin, TX to San Diego...

Why are you returning it?

Regardless of preconceptions, I would at least try it before returning it (assuming that is an option).

Not returning it - ordering it... should be here by Friday..

Oh!... by "seems like it'll be a return to pfSense...", you meant you will be buying more of their products in the future?

:D

Pulled the trigger on the RCC-VE 2440...

Should be here by the end of the week - shipping from Austin, TX to San Diego...

I could of drove over and picked it up. I then could of given you a complete run down on how well it works...LOL

Last edited:
Oh!... by "seems like it'll be a return to pfSense...", you meant you will be buying more of their products in the future?

I did pfSense a while back and it was pretty good back then (used in a test lab environment), so looking forward to seeing where the platform has evolved since then.

Why are you returning it?

Regardless of preconceptions, I would at least try it before returning it (assuming that is an option).
lol,
it was a "return to (using) pfSense"
not
"return (for refund) to pfSense"

Well, it arrived - letting it soak for a bit - running Centos7 for the moment...

Pretty solid little box - more later...
Congratulations! :)

I guess you know that pfSense 2.3 RC was released today?

Looking forward to hear about your experience with this little box and pfSense.

Kind regards,
Ole