What's new

Pixelserv -c setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DonnyJohnny

Very Senior Member
Creating a new thread for my info and not to flood the official thread.

I would like to know what is your -c setting for most of you all..

Mine is 150 and memory is at 3.968 (1.6%) using the new OpenSSL lib.
But I still find it not enough after 3 and a half day with 15 purge.

No problem keeping it in the original thread - helps people keep track of relevant info.

If it’s not enough, bump it up. No harm in trying it anyway. I’m at just shy of 5 days on -c 150 and only have hit 141. These certificates are quite small and I don’t imagine there’s any harm in higher cache if your lan can use it.

Since memory usage is Low, I will increase to 180 to monitor for now...
I am also a Low end user.

mine is set to -c 500

"sct 296 cert cache: # of certs in cache" and memory usage 6.3% with 3d 13:33 uptime. 413 MB of 512MB RAM is used on my router and I don't care how much RAM is used.

1.92 / 1024.00 MB Swap is used, router is up for more than 12 days.

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

mine is set to -c 500

"sct 296 cert cache: # of certs in cache" and memory usage 6.3% with 3d 13:33 uptime. 413 MB of 512MB RAM is used on my router and I don't care how much RAM is used.

1.92 / 1024.00 MB Swap is used, router is up for more than 12 days.

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/
Nice, 12 days... 296... let’s see mine in 12 days.

6.3% is 32mb. U have bigger ram compared to my 256mb.

When I am Low on memory, Skynet sometime give me issue in retrieving banmalware list as I used bigger custom filter list.
I know likely it is due to my old usb2.0 thumbdrive having some read/write performance issue.
I have like 45-35mb ram left on avg. during Skynet update, the swap can go to 35mb ram.
So for me, I want to keep some spare ram to prevent issue for now.
I have no doubt in efficiency of linux memory management.
But till I change my noob thumb drive.....

Nice, 12 days... 296... let’s see mine in 12 days.

Just a reminder, my router is up for 12 days but pixelserv's up time is 3 days and 13 hours :)

Also if you have enough space on your thumb drive you can setup SWAP, I think even 256 MB will be enough.

Mine is 150 and memory is at 3.968 (1.6%) using the new OpenSSL lib.
But I still find it not enough after 3 and a half day with 15 purge.

Finding the right -c X will be an iterative process. Doesn't hurt to start with a bigger value (for people already using the new openssl lib).

My two instances in load balance mode after 11 days. I'm still on the first issue of 2.1.0. '-c 250' but only used up ~200 slots so far.

n1 is RT56/Entware. n2 is Edgerouter X/Debian.

Memory usage on n1.
3FL5RIM.png

Memory usage on n2.
AKVvyik.png

Both have same amount of requests. n2 ends up using less memory. This is a surprise to me because memory situation used to be much worse on Debian than Entware.

I did have a new openssl lib on Debian. Seems its effect is even more profound than on Entware.

Finding the right -c X will be an iterative process. Doesn't hurt to start with a bigger value (for people already using the new openssl lib).

My two instances in load balance mode after 11 days. I'm still on the first issue of 2.1.0. '-c 250' but only used up ~200 slots so far.

n1 is RT56/Entware. n2 is Edgerouter X/Debian.

Memory usage on n1.
3FL5RIM.png

Memory usage on n2.
AKVvyik.png

Both have same amount of requests. n2 ends up using less memory. This is a surprise to me because memory situation used to be much worse on Debian than Entware.

I did have a new openssl lib on Debian. Seems its effect is even more profound than on Entware.
Hmmm... whatever... I think I can spare 6mb for that 250 cert... lol

currently 2day 6hr, my -c 200 has 153 cert cache.. memory 4.220mb at 1.7% of 256mb. Looking good...

I think -c 250 should be more that enough for my surfing habit tav at 28ms.

ould you check if you're on the new openssl lib? 6.3% translates to ~30MB memory usage. That sounds like the old openssl lib.

I've checked and it was "libopenssl - 1.0.2n-1b" :( so updated to 1c

Currently at 172 and the memory is 4.123mb at 1.6%.
I see that even the cert cache increase, not necessarily the memory will move upward. Compare to my last 153 at 4.22 at 1.7%.
Not consistent. Anyway, that’s a good sign assume cert cache hit 200, likely memory is still at around 5-6mb the most.

I see that even the cert cache increase, not necessarily the memory will move upward.
Not consistent.

It's not correct to assume that more cached certs will directly translate into using more memory, and hence use it for a direct comparison at certain point in time.

This is not about consistency. It's simply wrong to assume so. Many other factors will affect memory usage at certain time in pixelserv-tls.

E.g. pixelserv-tls (as part of rc.3 improvement in hunting down memory hog) will proactively unallocated freed memory back to OS when being idle for a long time. It's about 1.5 hours if I recall correctly on top of my head.

It's generally true, however, that the trend shall be higher *peak* memory usage with more cached certs. It's based on one assumption: a busier home LAN & browsing activities with more cached certs.

With the NEW openssl lib, people shall not be worrying about memory usage. I would bet it'll be always way less than your dnsmasq process :)

5 days. Memory at 3.76mb at 1.5% Guess i htop at the wrong time.., memory too Low... lol

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!