What's new

placement of switch in network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

juicymixx

New Around Here
Hello everyone. I'm trying to piece everything together and need a little help making sense of everything. At my location I have internet via cable. The location where the cable comes out of my wall to the cable modem is physically distant from where I want to place my wireless router, and in between I would like to run some wired connections to other equipment.

Would this work:
Run a wired connection from the cable modem (SB6141) to a gigabit switch, then from the gigabit switch to my wireless router (netgear R7000)? My concern was with having the gigabit switch between the cable modem and the wireless router (even though the router will do all the NATing and handle DHCP). I want the switch there since it will be physically close to several wired devices, and I need the wireless router father away to give access to other parts of the building. Will this be a problem?

Thanks.

No, this won't work for several reasons.

1) Even if the ISP you use gives you multiple IP's, you still won't want to connect these devices (I'm assuming computers, printers and/or NASes) directly to the outside world.

2) Plugging in the modem like this to a switch and then a router and other devices to it also will give you very spotty internet (if at all). Best case; only one device will have internet access.

3) Depending on what devices you're plugging it to the switch and the actual modem you have; the devices may not even see other clients at all (or they, them).

I'm sure there are other issues; but for this to work as you need you will have to send two lines to the router. One from the modem to the router's WAN port and one from the router's LAN port back to the switch.

Modem is not a router so your way wont work. Here is how it should be set up, but you might have to run or extend wires.

ISP Modem--> R7000--> Switch.

But, if you want to set it up your way, then get a Modem/Router in one combo. You might be able to rent one from your Cable company for a monthly fee.

Another option, is to get a basic 4 port router with out wifi and connect it between the modem and the switch.

Last edited:
Come on dude use common sense router first then switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!