What's new

Poor download speed over WiFi with Asus ac86u 5 GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guys, I was testing all night yesterday, so my suggestion is if you're in Europe or any other region where Channel (149-165) is locked, try DFS channels. DFS channel & Select 80 mhz.

Solution: With DFS channels my Speed improved on 5 Ghz, it went from 270 mbps to 400-480 mbps. Almost there. 532 is max my isp can give me, but 480 mbps is close tho.

I don't know why the Asus is crippled on 5 Ghz. But if you're facing speed issues on 5 Ghz & think you're not getting full speed try Higher channels.

Solution 2: Disable Tx Bursting, load the original latest firmware.

Last edited:
Guys, I was testing all night yesterday, so my suggestion is if you're in Europe or any other region where Channel (149-165) is locked, try DFS channels. DFS channel & Select 80 mhz.

Solution: With DFS channels my Speed improved on 5 Ghz, it went from 270 mbps to 400-480 mbps. Almost there. 532 is max my isp can give me, but 480 mbps is close tho.

I don't know why the Asus is crippled on 5 Ghz. But if you're facing speed issues on 5 Ghz & think you're not getting full speed try Higher channels.

You do realise that you have dug up a thread that died 12+ months ago?

You do realise that you have dug up a thread that died 12+ months ago?
But people will still be seeing it sooner or later.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I recently purchased an Asus RT-AC86U.

I've now set it up, downloaded and installed the latest version of firmware from Asus and I'm not getting the download speeds over WiFi that I was expecting to get.

My internet plan is 300Mbps down and 300Mbps up (PPPoE). Wired conection is ok but on WiFi i only get half of the download speed so usually its about 160Mbps. Upload speed on WiFi is ok.

I restore the router to stock settings, there is only my isp login and password and the rest settings is default.
I was trying to change channels but there is no difference, i also doesn't see any interference from my neighbors.
I made a test on my laptop which has an ac network card (2x2) and iphone 8 and the result are the same.

Can anyone please advise me on how to increase the download speed over WiFi? or should i just give back the router to the store?

I have the same issue. my internet plan is 1000Mbs. wired connection - I am getting 923 mbps download and 867 mbps upload, however for wifi , the speed comes down to 229 mbps for download and 540 mbps for upload. For the wireless connection I am sitting 3 feet away from the router.

my model number is RT AC 86AU.

I purchased these two routers yesterday and was hoping to get good wireless speed in my home.
Should I replace them and pick up a stronger wifi router combination?
or replace it with ASUS ZenWiFi AC (CT8)?

any suggestions?

kind regards

Dheeraj

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!