What's new

Portforward dont work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Henric

New Around Here
Hi

Problem: Port forwarding docent seem to work.

Having a asus rt-n66u router, FW Merlins latest EM-version and a synology DS414 NAS. All working brilliantly, however now I want to access the NAS form outside my LAN and now the problems start.

I have setup a portforward in the router.
Name: HTTP server, Port: 5000, Local ip: "the ip my NAS has been assigned", local port: blank, protocol: TCP.

A DDNS pointing to my external ip has been setup and verified my my NAS.

What do you need for information to be able to help me? It buggs my that I can't be able to solve it on my own, hope some can help.

Regards
H

1) What does your Internet connection look like? Is there another modem in front of your Asus box?
2) What URL and/or program are you using to access your Synology? Depending on that you might need to forward addtional ports (see Synology documentation)
3) You are trying to forward the HTTP connection to DSM, you might want to change that to port 5001, which is the HTTPS connection
4) Verify the DNS record from an outside location using the nslookup command prompt tool (nslookup [your dns name])

Hi

Problem: Port forwarding docent seem to work.

Having a asus rt-n66u router, FW Merlins latest EM-version and a synology DS414 NAS. All working brilliantly, however now I want to access the NAS form outside my LAN and now the problems start.

I have setup a portforward in the router.
Name: HTTP server, Port: 5000, Local ip: "the ip my NAS has been assigned", local port: blank, protocol: TCP.

A DDNS pointing to my external ip has been setup and verified my my NAS.

What do you need for information to be able to help me? It buggs my that I can't be able to solve it on my own, hope some can help.

Regards
H

As per Lancer's reply and also check the firewall rules
Code:
iptables -nvL --line

to see if there are any hits on your FORWARD / VSERVER rule.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi

A huge thanks for helping.

1) What does your Internet connection look like? Is there another modem in front of your Asus box?

Fiber, hence no modem or nothing.

2) What URL and/or program are you using to access your Synology? Depending on that you might need to forward addtional ports (see Synology documentation)

Synologys own iphone apps, per documentation port 5000 is the one you need to use too look at files (the most basic thing)

3) You are trying to forward the HTTP connection to DSM, you might want to change that to port 5001, which is the HTTPS connection

Correct you are, however I'm trying to get the bloody thing working before I go into the more secure (and permanent) solution.

4) Verify the DNS record from an outside location using the nslookup command prompt tool (nslookup [your dns name]

Right... http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php you mean something like this.

Domain: what do I type here, the dns adress: http://carbon1.synology.me?
Server: ??
Query: ?

As per Martineau reply, this is a bit over my head... don't know what to do with it, also I'm on a mac so it dosn¨t work on mac.

Regards

Every application on the Synology box requires a port forwarded in the router. 5000/5001 for DSM access, 7000/7001 for file station etc.

Your external/public ip is what you use, plus the forwarded port ie. 70.75.xxx.xxx:5000

I have found that if my ISP connection is not in bridge mode it is problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Synology NAS on my home network (AC68U). You need to forward the port to your NAS internal IP address not to the outside IP.

I have ports forwarded for DSM (tcp, port 5000), photo station (tcp, port 80), DS Cloud (tcp, port 6690) and WebDAV (tcp, ports 5005, 5050). I use my NAS internal ip address, which in my case is 192.168.1.9. DDNS gets the outside world to your router and the port forwarding gets it to the NAS.

To access DSM through an outide web browser, use your DDNS name or public IP address plus port 5000: http://XXX.XXXX.NET:5000. Inside your network would be 192.168.X.X:5000. That should do it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: