What's new

Possible Bug with Multiple Guest SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HumanPanda24

New Around Here
Hi Merlin users,

Can someone confirm the following for me. I am using an RT-AC3200 with 384.5

My setup is the RT-AC3200 is being used in AP mode.
Smart Connect Setup for the main SSID.

Then I have 3 guest networks, one for each band such as

SSID_2G
SSID_5G_1
SSID_5G_2

This would have the same passphrase as the main SSID.

This is for some stuff like the Echo which does not like Smart Connect or if I want a device to only connect to a certain band.

With this setup it works 100%. The problem is however if I setup another guest network as we are allowed to have 3 per band.

The 2nd SSID would be

SSID_guest and has a different passphrase so I can give it to guests and change it later. The second I add this 2nd SSID the 2G band stops working. This 2nd SSID can be on any band but, it still breaks the 2G band. The 5G bands however still work. The SSID shows but, when you try to connect it fails.

I see this on all devices such as my phone which is Dual Band connect to SSID_2G and even devices that only have 2.4Ghz try to connect to either the main SSID or SSID_2G. The moment I take it off the issue still occurs but, if I take it off and then take off SSID_2G and renable it, it works again.

Can someone with an RT-AC3200 with 384.5 please confirm for me?

Edit: This did not happen before I updated to the latest firmware. It was working for ages before then. I forgot what version it was though.

I have also done a factory reset and initialize and the issue occurs right when I add the 2nd guest SSID.

2.4 Ghz is not very stable across several models (Asus/Broadcom driver issue), just search around the forum and you’ll see.

I think it’s due to the fix for KRACK, 2.4 band just get very intolerant of interference. Adding a second guest SSID likely increased the interference and that’s the threshold for your environment.

In any case, guest SSIDs provides no isolation in AP mode so you don’t really need to turn it on in the first place.

In any case, guest SSIDs provides no isolation in AP mode so you don’t really need to turn it on in the first place.
We really need SSID for guest in AP mode as well!

Yes, friends maybe have access to the network, I know them and it is ok for this time, but they dont know my SSID-password, only that easier one for guest, and I can change it all the time with no problems!
To change my SSID-pw is hard work on 50 devices!

So please dont tell us there is no really need for it only because you in your environment have no need for it!

Adding a second guest SSID likely increased the interference and that’s the threshold for your environment.
And what do you mean with added interference by more SSIDs?
That cannot happen on one AP, interference can only occour between different APs on same channel!
One AP will use time multiplex for more SSIDs, so a decrease of about 3% utilization per SSID used by this AP for beacons.

Last edited:
We really need SSID for guest in AP mode as well!

So please dont tell us there is no really need for it only because you in your environment have no need for it!

Then set it in router mode and turn off NAT, firewall and DHCP.

Just because you’d like to use Guest mode in an unconventional way doesn’t mean that that should be included in the firmware. Having it in AP mode would just confuse people when it doesn’t provide any sort of isolation.

Then set it in router mode and turn off NAT, firewall and DHCP.

Just because you’d like to use Guest mode in an unconventional way doesn’t mean that that should be included in the firmware. Having it in AP mode would just confuse people when it doesn’t provide any sort of isolation.
And whats the benefit or difference in your solution with routermode and all turned off?

There still is only ONE connection through WAN to my main router-modem (which I cannot change to bridge mode).
The same situation for my other router on second floor ...
Ethernet devices are connected on main router.
They still will all be accessible via guest-SSID from router, in both modes guest and router.

What do you think why they have AP-mode else than for simolar cases as my situation?
Really unconvetional, everything not matching your mind will be unconventional.

And whats the benefit or difference in your solution with routermode and all turned off?

What do you think why they have AP-mode else than for simolar cases as my situation?
Really unconvetional, everything not matching your mind will be unconventional.

The difference is that you can use Guest mode? Isn’t that the whole point of your comment?

Expecting Guest mode to provide isolation is conventional, you don’t care about isolation and want to use it because you don’t want to change wifi password every time guests come over, that’s unconventional. I think that’s objectively true and really no need to argue there.

There is no guest mode, we are discussing guest-SSID, there are more than 1 reason for guest-SSID, not only for isolation.

These are custumer-routers for various customer requirements, not professional routers which you may refer to.
Thats why they got router, AP and repeater or bridge-modes with some easy features we want to use without troubles out of the box like others are doing.
And they offer these features so they simply shall just work like supposed to.
There are no limitations stated by asus that this or that constellation wont work reliable.

There is no guest mode, we are discussing guest-SSID, there are more than 1 reason for guest-SSID, not only for isolation.

These are custumer-routers for various customer requirements, not professional routers which you may refer to.
Thats why they got router, AP and repeater or bridge-modes with some easy features we want to use without troubles out of the box like others are doing.

I’m ok to use whichever terminology you’re cool with, Guest mode, Guest wifi, Guest SSID, doesn’t make a difference to me. If you use your Asus in router mode and disable NAT, firewall and DHCP you essentially have AP mode + the ability to use Guest wifi.

I’m not talking about business grade routers. It’s just that your usecase is not as common as you think it is, and when most people enable Guest wifi they actually expect and want that isolation.

And they offer these features so they simply shall just work like supposed to.
There are no limitations stated by asus that this or that constellation wont work reliable.

It is working like they are supposed to. If they really offered Guest wifi in AP mode when it can’t provide the isolation everyone expects, then *that* is not “working like they are supposed to”.

It’s not a question of instability or reliability, there is no isolation at all, all the time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!