What's new

Merlin - automatic firmware update possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOrbit

Regular Contributor
I am tasked with occasional maintenance of a couple of family AX86U routers with Merlin firmware at remote locations. I know official firmware has this option, but Merlin does not. Any reason this option was removed from Merlin? Is there any way to automate firmware updates?

Any reason this option was removed from Merlin?
Because that service communicates with Asus' servers, not mine.

Is there any way to automate firmware updates?
No, and I have no plan to ever offer such a feature, sorry. I don't have the resources to ensure the reliability and security of such a service that could potentially get hijacked, and compromise tens of thousands of routers. A large company such as Asus does.

A large company such as Asus does.
I am beginning to question even the security of Asus offering such a feature. To me, there are alot of things that can go wrong with automatic updates. Then the user doesn't notice until the last minute, and no one knows what actually happen to break things at this point. There are too many variables that can go wrong in an automated upgrade process including network instability, corrupted downloads, and not to mention if the user doesn't realize an automated update is taking place when they hard restart the router. Too many unknowns for me to trust it. This is one of the reasons I choose to use your firmware @RMerlin because you don't have an automated process.

Last edited:
I'm sure if you're registered on github you can set up an automated email notification for when the releases are updated. Not a fully automated upgrade, but at least an instant notification directly to your phone.

I'm sure if you're registered on github you can set up an automated email notification when the releases are updated. Not a fully automated upgrade, but at least an instant notification directly to your phone.
This is a good response! I love it. Or maybe a feature on the router that sends an email report when the router detects new updates available. Then the user can update at their leisure using the method of their choice.

This is a good response! I love it. Or maybe a feature on the router that sends an email report when the router detects new updates available. Then the user can update at their leisure using the method of their choice.
Diversion already has it. Under communication, there's a firmware update notification option.

Diversion already has it. Under communication, there's a firmware update notification option.
I know. I was talking about a firmware level adaptation as opposed to firmware level automated update process. To me, this is a compromise for not offering an automated process. I personally do not support automated update processes because they lack the human element of detection. While humans are highly error prone and highly fallible, we also have an ability to detect failures when processes are not fully automated. We can see what is going on. With fully automated, we are in the dark especially with a process that can brick the router.

Last edited:
I'm sure if you're registered on github you can set up an automated email notification for when the releases are updated.
They also offer RSS feeds for that (no registration required).

We can see what is going on. With fully automated, we are in the dark especially with a process that can brick the router.
Which manual checks (that cannot be automated) do you perform before flashing firmware?

Which manual checks (that cannot be automated) do you perform before flashing firmware?
Review of user feedback for common threads that might affect my network configuration.

The other bit, particularly with the merlin firmware is best practise is to remove USB keys before install.

If I'm putting the network through the stress of a router upgrade I want to maximise the chance of success and no remedial work after. Waking up to a broken network from an automated rollout isn't my cup of tea.

I am tasked with occasional maintenance of a couple of family AX86U routers with Merlin firmware at remote locations. I know official firmware has this option, but Merlin does not. Any reason this option was removed from Merlin? Is there any way to automate firmware updates?
Apart from the reasons that @RMerlin has for not offering this feature, I am of the opinion and even more so in a router, not to be constantly updated, except for something truly justified, such as a vulnerability fixed or a bug fixed, or as in the case of version 388 that included the vpn wireguard, but beyond that, in production equipment, I do not usually recommend to update it constantly.

I usually do at most, except in critical cases, 1 update every 3/4 months.

As per RMerlin, the removal of the usb isn't required.
I stopped removing the usb, since RMerlin posted, and have experienced zero issues upgrading.
Happy to be corrected. I've just seen so many posts on these forums recommending it on threads with upgrade problems that it's become part my my upgrade process purely from a risk avoidance perspective.

I'd always go in to an upgrade on something like a router with the lowest risk I can - even if it's a couple of extra steps it's far less painful than winging it and picking up the pieces.

I am beginning to question even the security of Asus offering such a feature. To me, there are alot of things that can go wrong with automatic updates. Then the user doesn't notice until the last minute, and no one knows what actually happen to break things at this point. There are too many variables that can go wrong in an automated upgrade process including network instability, corrupted downloads, and not to mention if the user doesn't realize an automated update is taking place when they hard restart the router. Too many unknowns for me to trust it. This is one of the reasons I choose to use your firmware @RMerlin because you don't have an automated process.

That feature can be turned off in stock Asus firmware.

Yes, there are some routers/networks where removing the USB devices doesn't need to be done for a successful firmware upgrade.

Can I predict which these networks will be? No.

I can suggest that Safely Removing the USB devices via the GUI, then, rebooting the router via the GUI, before flashing the new firmware will work. Yes. With a very high margin of success. :)

I'm sure if you're registered on github you can set up an automated email notification for when the releases are updated. Not a fully automated upgrade, but at least an instant notification directly to your phone.
Best to subscribe to the RSS feed at Sourceforge instead, as I don't issue "Github releases".

I am beginning to question even the security of Asus offering such a feature.
By security, I mean the risk of malicious hijacking. In addition to Asus having an actual team of sysadmins to monitor their servers, their firmware images are also signed with an RSA key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!