What's new

pre-install OpenVPN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DutchMike

Occasional Visitor
I recently bought an Asus RT AC68U router and it all seems to work fine, but has one nasty little habbit.
I have a Synology DS214play NAS, which contains my data and a Synology DS115J at my parents house on which I store my backup.
My local IP-ranges is 192.168.0.x, the IP-range at my parents hous is: 192.168.2.x and the VPN IP-range is 10.8.0.x

Between the DS115J and the Asus is an OpenVPN connection, which is functioning very well. The only problem with the default firmware is, that the VPN-IP-adress changes per time the connection is (re-)established. The connection is always on, but when the connection is lost, the router assigns a differtend IP-adress to the DS115J when the connection is online again.
The daily backup is not working at irregular intervals, when the VPN IP is changed, so I have to check it every day to see if it has changed.

My question is there a way in the Asuswrt-Merlin-firmware to assign an fixed VPN IP-adress to a device?

Can you clarify;
Is the VPN at your parents' house running on the DS115J or their router?
At your end presumably you're running the VPN on your AC68U. Is that a VPN client or a VPN server?

My question is there a way in the Asuswrt-Merlin-firmware to assign an fixed VPN IP-adress to a device?
Yes.

So when the DS115J connects as a VPN Client to your RT-AC68U hosting the OpenVPN Server, then you can use the CCD file to assign a static IP Address from the appropriate OpenVPN Server IP pool.
How to set a static IP to OpenVPN TUN clients

NOTE: If your RT-AC68U is the client then the CCD static IP configuration will be on the router at your parents.

Last edited:
thank you both for your reply!
The OpenVPN-server is running on my Asus RT AC68U and the Synology DS115J is the client of the Asus RT AC68U.

I'm going to check out the link you gave me @Martineau and will give it a try shortly!