1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

pre-install OpenVPN question

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by DutchMike, Nov 10, 2018.

1. DutchMike

DutchMike New Around Here

I recently bought an Asus RT AC68U router and it all seems to work fine, but has one nasty little habbit.
    I have a Synology DS214play NAS, which contains my data and a Synology DS115J at my parents house on which I store my backup.
    My local IP-ranges is 192.168.0.x, the IP-range at my parents hous is: 192.168.2.x and the VPN IP-range is 10.8.0.x

Between the DS115J and the Asus is an OpenVPN connection, which is functioning very well. The only problem with the default firmware is, that the VPN-IP-adress changes per time the connection is (re-)established. The connection is always on, but when the connection is lost, the router assigns a differtend IP-adress to the DS115J when the connection is online again.
    The daily backup is not working at irregular intervals, when the VPN IP is changed, so I have to check it every day to see if it has changed.

My question is there a way in the Asuswrt-Merlin-firmware to assign an fixed VPN IP-adress to a device?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Can you clarify;
    Is the VPN at your parents' house running on the DS115J or their router?
    At your end presumably you're running the VPN on your AC68U. Is that a VPN client or a VPN server?

4. Martineau

Martineau Very Senior Member

Yes.

So when the DS115J connects as a VPN Client to your RT-AC68U hosting the OpenVPN Server, then you can use the CCD file to assign a static IP Address from the appropriate OpenVPN Server IP pool.
    How to set a static IP to OpenVPN TUN clients

NOTE: If your RT-AC68U is the client then the CCD static IP configuration will be on the router at your parents.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  5. DutchMike

DutchMike New Around Here

thank you both for your reply!
    The OpenVPN-server is running on my Asus RT AC68U and the Synology DS115J is the client of the Asus RT AC68U.

I'm going to check out the link you gave me @Martineau and will give it a try shortly!

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!