What's new

[Preview 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 early test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When I open the DDNS site on my router I get this error message:
"Unauthorized registration request!"

Seems that my router is not able to update the ddns name anymore after the update.. What could I do? =/

Code:
Apr  9 19:13:43 rc_service: httpds 463:notify_rc restart_ddns_le
Apr  9 19:13:43 start_ddns: update WWW.ASUS.COM dyndns, wan_unit 0
Apr  9 19:13:43 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Apr  9 19:13:43 ddns_update: connected to nwsrv-ns1.asus.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
Apr  9 19:13:46 ddns_update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 401 |Authorization failed^M Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 17:13:44 GMT^M Server: Apache^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.6.30^M Content-Length: 0^M Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8^M ^M
Apr  9 19:13:46 ddns_update: retval= 2, ddns_return_code (,401)
Apr  9 19:13:46 ddns_update: asusddns_update: 2

Anyone? Is this a general problem with the ddns from asus with the new build or just a dirty update problem?

Anyone? Is this a general problem with the ddns from asus with the new build or just a dirty update problem?
Not quite an answer to your situation, but RMerlin has said that the ASUS DDNS is tied to the router MAC. I changed routers and got that exact message, so I just switched to dynu.net DDNS. There are scripts for various DDNS providers on the Wiki.

Not quite an answer to your situation, but RMerlin has said that the ASUS DDNS is tied to the router MAC. I changed routers and got that exact message, so I just switched to dynu.net DDNS. There are scripts for various DDNS providers on the Wiki.
I actually use dyndns, which is supported by the ASUS firmware (Merlin, too).

Wow, thanks for your answer.. But I am speechless.. Somehow the update really did change my Mac address oO I left the standard router name sine the beginning which has a part of the Mac in it and now that is different to the Mac..

did you try with different "name".asuscomm.com?
or contact asus, maybe they have an email-address for ddns releated problems e.g. if you want to change your name to a different router.
otherwise it will get free after 3 (or 6) months not updating it.

I am speechless too if this really happened to you!!!

Just had a deeper look at the Mac addresses of each adapter, br0, eth1, vlan1 and 2 have the right Mac, eth0 has a different one. I have a VDSL modem on the wan port and using pppoe. Possible that the router is copying the Mac from the modem or something like that?

Last edited:
I was Previously running 384.4_2 and was getting a loss of connectivity (mostly external) after anything from 29s of minutes to many hours. Sometimes it fixed itself after a number of hours.

I noticed some bridge reconfiguration in the logs.... Spanning tree activity... And disabled the protocol. This seemed to resolve my issues.

I then upgraded to the alpha which also worked well.

I don't yet know why the stp disable helped or if it's down to another errant device on my network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you running bridges in repeater mode? I saw the same thing after upgrading to 384 branch of code on all of my asus routers. I disabled stp on the central router, but my problems persisted.

I was too lazy to change the other two repeaters to standalone routers, disable their stp and then set them up as repeaters again. For now I'm back to 380 codebase. I also noticed some dhcp irregularities and arp issues with the repeater units. I'm running igmp on all of them for my video streams. Waiting until 385 stabilizes a little more before i dip my toes in again.

Not sure if its possible or how much work it would entail but i would like to see "hotmail" added to the list for email alerts. I dont use gmail/aol and the other two ive never even heard of.

It would be way more work to add hotmail to the firmware than it would be for you to create a gmail account and set it to forward all email alerts to your hotmail account.

Are you running bridges in repeater mode? I saw the same thing after upgrading to 384 branch of code on all of my asus routers. I disabled stp on the central router, but my problems persisted.

I was too lazy to change the other two repeaters to standalone routers, disable their stp and then set them up as repeaters again. For now I'm back to 380 codebase. I also noticed some dhcp irregularities and arp issues with the repeater units. I'm running igmp on all of them for my video streams. Waiting until 385 stabilizes a little more before i dip my toes in again.

A person like you should try the aimesh on official build. I don't have a need to try it yet but i wondered. It looks promising but hadn't heard feedback.

No bridges in use as such..... But sonos implemented its own black box mesh network.... That's one suspicion. The other one is the cable router (in modem mode)... Because.. Well it's isp provided and many have bugs...

But this is all speculation. If I get a chance I'll try more debugging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NAS drive problem mentioned is somewhat resolved. The latest Win 10 update didn't help, but a restore point rollback and reinstall seems to have partly addressed that issue.

Last edited:
Factory reset the router and start from scratch.
I had the same problem with the 5300.
Same problem with official ASUS FW 384.20648 on AC5300

RMerlin, is it possible to not have to use a ddns-start script and just tell the router what its address should be, without having to input anything else? my ISP is providing DDNS as a free service and I don't have to configure anything other than pick a name on their management website. i see that the list of supported services keeps expanding, but my domain/ISP hasn't been added yet. it's not a big problem, the only thing that it would be nice is to not have to manually edit the exported .ovpn file every time i have to recreate it.

Running 384.5_alpha2-gcc44562 on RT-AC87U. One of my wired cameras shows up in the client list as wireless, but when I login to the camera itself it indicates as expected that it is connected wired, not wireless. Maybe the constant TX/RX rate of "1" is a sign that something is strange in the client list with this device?
Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 7.24.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 7.24.24 AM.png

Running 384.5_alpha2-gcc44562 on RT-AC87U. One of my wired cameras shows up in the client list as wireless, but when I login to the camera itself it indicates as expected that it is connected wired, not wireless. Maybe the constant TX/RX rate of "1" is a sign that something is strange in the client list with this device?
View attachment 12688 View attachment 12689
Tx/Rx of 1/1 is normal. When my TV goes into power saver mode, it will show 1/1 constantly. Once it comes out of power saver mode, those values increase.

Tx/Rx of 1/1 is normal. When my TV goes into power saver mode, it will show 1/1 constantly. Once it comes out of power saver mode, those values increase.

That's interesting... now I'm wondering whether the camera is really communicating on the wired or the wireless interface. I'll check for a link light on the switch (on another floor), but I'm not sure if that would give me a solid answer even if it's on. The only reason I'm trying to figure this out is that I'm trying to keep as much camera traffic off my wireless as possible because they are... always quite talkative. ;)

Commits log shows GPL 384_20648 was merged. Cool. :cool:

Thanks for all you hard work, Eric!

There's very little changes in that GPL.

my ISP is providing DDNS as a free service and I don't have to configure anything other than pick a name on their management website
After picking name on their manage website, can't you start using that hostname/link? My previous ISP has something like this, since they know which customer pick which hostname through login in their website, they can link that hostname to my IP automatically without having to configure anything on my router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!