What's new

[Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 pre-release test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed on my AC3200 (did factory reset) and has been running fine for the past few days by looking at the logs however I've started having issues on one of my 5GHz. Devices will start to buffer and slow down considerably and eventually loose all connectivity. Devices on 2.4GHz and the second 5GHz radios are fine.

This is not a complaint but an explanation of my experience. I experienced that same strange issue with IPv6 on the 384.3_alpha1 that I did on the previous beta3 and when I roll back to the 382.2_beta2 it goes away. I also saw it on the asus 384.10007 so I"m thinking that there's a component in the 384 that disagrees with my setup.

I check on this two ways: I look at the network dialog box in windows and it shows that IPv6 has no internet connection and then I use the router GUI which will not show any clients on the system log tab IPv6 page. All network clients have the latest drivers and power management is turned off on them.

Edit: Its not you Merlin as the 382.2_beta2 just did the same thing so I'm perplexed. I just went ahead and rolled back to the factory 384.10007 and might go back to a previous firmware.

I have had similar issues with Win 10.
No problems with a number of Apple devices though.

Leads me to suspect it’s a Microsoft ‘oddness’.

I googled “how to force IPV6 on Win 10”, & one of the pages is a Microsoft ‘fix’ to force your PC to prefer IPV6. (Then fall back to IPV4 if required).

YMMV.

I suppose it’s a good thing you are getting some malicious sites trapped by AI Protection.
I’ve verified my counts haven’t changed since I updated firmwares & no trend micro test links throw up a warning page so I’m assuming AI Protection simply isn’t working for me at the moment. Not sure what else to try other than a clean wipe. I’ve turned AI Protection on off multiple times, rebooted ( via router’s GUI ).
As for your previous posts about the Trend Micro blocking page, it seems AB-Solution is the reason it doesn't appear (although it still functions correctly otherwise). Maybe @thelonelycoder can share some insight.
I can shed some light how I tested that neither Skynet nor AB-Solution seem to block anything relevant to AI-Protection.

I run @john9527 improved IPset version, which does not differ binary wise much from the build here except the improvements for Skynet to work better with the hardware it is installed on.

That said, here are my test steps:
- Enable AI-Protection, all options on main screen are enabled.
- Skynet and AB-Solution is enabled and I'm following the logfile during this test to see if anything relevant is blocked. Note that AB4 is installed on the test router but that does not have an impact as the hosts files in use are the deciding factor what gets blocked.
- Cleared OS cache on PC I test this on.
- Cleared browser cache on both browser I use to test: Chrome and Firefox, the latter is my everyday browser.
- Opened the AI-Protection page on router to check Hits counter, all are 0.
Opened https://success.trendmicro.com/solu...the-web-reputation-feature-in-officescan-osce and did some of the tests in Chrome, Firefox.
- Hits counter increased
- Opened http://wicar.org/ and http://www.ianfette.org/ and did some more tests in Chrome, Firefox blocks both with its own protection mechanism.
- Hits increase
- Logfile shows no blocked domains relevant to AI-Protection, they may circumvent it by using IP based queries and Skynet does not block these.

Conclusion: I can rule out AB-Solution or Skynet from hindering AI-Protection to work on my router.

I can shed some light how I tested that neither Skynet nor AB-Solution seem to block anything relevant to AI-Protection.

I run @john9527 improved IPset version, which does not differ binary wise much from the build here except the improvements for Skynet to work better with the hardware it is installed on.

That said, here are my test steps:
- Enable AI-Protection, all options on main screen are enabled.
- Skynet and AB-Solution is enabled and I'm following the logfile during this test to see if anything relevant is blocked. Note that AB4 is installed on the test router but that does not have an impact as the hosts files in use are the deciding factor what gets blocked.
- Cleared OS cache on PC I test this on.
- Cleared browser cache on both browser I use to test: Chrome and Firefox, the latter is my everyday browser.
- Opened the AI-Protection page on router to check Hits counter, all are 0.
Opened https://success.trendmicro.com/solu...the-web-reputation-feature-in-officescan-osce and did some of the tests in Chrome, Firefox.
- Hits counter increased
- Opened http://wicar.org/ and http://www.ianfette.org/ and did some more tests in Chrome, Firefox blocks both with its own protection mechanism.
- Hits increase
- Logfile shows no blocked domains relevant to AI-Protection, they may circumvent it by using IP based queries and Skynet does not block these.

Conclusion: I can rule out AB-Solution or Skynet from hindering AI-Protection to work on my router.

I take back my comment, in testing last night after disabling AB-Solution the blocking page appeared as it previously wouldn't, this must have been a coincidence as it shows in my tests just now. I guess the feature its-self is just buggy.

Was under the impression that to change the system password one enters any combination of characters and symbols up to 16 long and then hits 'apply'.

I checked the owners manual and it does not say anything about needing to reboot the system after hitting 'apply'. Someone may want to check up to see if this is an alpha f/w only issue or a regular thing no one explained or documented for stock f/w.

Guest wifi has same problem. Apply has no effect. Need to reboot router for new setting to take effect.

I installed on my AC3200 (did factory reset) and has been running fine for the past few days by looking at the logs however I've started having issues on one of my 5GHz. Devices will start to buffer and slow down considerably and eventually loose all connectivity. Devices on 2.4GHz and the second 5GHz radios are fine.

I moved a couple devices from the 5GHz wifi in question to the other 5GHz wifi and I no longer have problems with those devices.

when will come out a stable version 384.3 for ac86u?thanks

There is not even a beta released yet :) patience!

@RMerlin,

Is it already known when alpha 3 is coming? Can you show a changelog here? ;)

Is it already known when alpha 3 is coming? Can you show a changelog here? ;)

I don't know, and changelog is the commit log.

I take back my comment, in testing last night after disabling AB-Solution the blocking page appeared as it previously wouldn't, this must have been a coincidence as it shows in my tests just now. I guess the feature its-self is just buggy.
Likely a browser cache issue. I had to clear it to see the redirect page.

3.0.0.4.384.20308 for the 86U fixes a down link issue I've been having with my iPhone where's the max capable link speed drops from 866 to 433, no idea where the fix lies, I'm assuming the binary blob files though.

I know you're still in alpha on the old GPL so I'm assuming it's going to be a while before it hits your firmware.

i see .384 now listed from asus for the rt-ac5300. will you be adding that model anytime soon to the pre release schedule? i may switch back to my rt-ac3100 for the time being if not. i like the 5300 a lot but really would rather keep merlin on it.

Why? 380.69_2 still works fine.

@RMerlin I tried compiling the latest git for the RT-AC56U. It compiled and installed fine but again Adaptive QoS wouldn't start. Went back to the latest 384.x beta you provided and it started fine. I don't know if there's some change you didn't commit yet or subsequent commits broke it again.

This time I'm actually able to reproduce the issue. Thing is, there's no error at all in the log. Since that code is closed source, tracking down what is going on will be difficult.

This time I'm actually able to reproduce the issue. Thing is, there's no error at all in the log. Since that code is closed source, tracking down what is going on will be difficult.
This matches exactly the behavior I've seen. Even a factory reset did not help when I tried to troubleshoot this, very disappointing.

No idea if it's the same thing, but on my fork there were cases where qos would attempt to start before the WAN was fully up and silently fail. You can make a qos-start script (there are two cases with args init and rules on traditional qos) to put some data in the syslog to check the sequencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.