1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Preview] Early Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 test builds are available

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by RMerlin, Jun 24, 2018.

1. iManuB

iManuB Regular Contributor

I did another trial. I disconnected the Modem / router with 192.168.1.1 and I initialized the Asus RT-AC86U. He came back with 192.168.1.1.

Why if I leave the modem / router connected, do I keep 192.168.X.X? (ie what we decide and not that of dafault)?

After 15s, I'll see some leds blinking?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

Perhaps the 86U is smart enough to detect an IP conflict and jump onto 192.168.2.1

skeal, iManuB and eddiez like this.
  4. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

5. Iwakan

Iwakan Regular Contributor

Alpha2 running for 24 hours on AC68u and working great.

In my case random problem with AiProtection not loading on router startup is solved.

AiProtection events deletion not solved.

6. eddiez

eddiez Senior Member

You are right. The 2nd router detects that 192.168.1.1 is the incoming WAN and since WAN is a separate vlan, it picks the next subnet. I think :)

skeal and iManuB like this.
  7. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

Yes even Netgear does this.

Azguz likes this.
  8. iManuB

iManuB Regular Contributor

Nice! It's all clear! Thanks, guys! The best trial is to set a 192.168.10.1 and the next time when I need to initialize the router for new Merlin's firmware,see what happen.

skeal and scjr like this.
  9. GHammer

GHammer Regular Contributor

I have been running alpha 2 on my 86U for days with no errors, not even an odd log entry.
    WiFi on both bands is fine, LAN is fine, DDNS working, pretty happy camper at this point.
    I did have to stop using scheduled restarts as that caused the router to power off after 2 days.

10. jsbeddow

jsbeddow New Around Here

It is great that 384.6 alpha builds are proving to be stable, but until we get a build for the RT-AC68 that addresses the massive LAN to WiFi slowdown that occurs with this build, I'll have to stay on 384.5. Frankly, I'm surprised this has not seen more users complaining (and yes, I know it is not Merlin's fault, it is an Asus bug), especially given how popular this model router has been.

I can only hope that Merlin is waiting on receiving the source files for 384_21140 to continue development on this branch, or perhaps I (and other 68U users) will have to wait for that to be integrated into the next build (384.7 perhaps?).

I can confirm the transfer slowdowns seen in these threads, resolved by rolling back to 384.5.
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...low-wifi-lan-transfer-rate.47560/#post-415653

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-lan-to-wifi-downlink-throughput-issue.46992/

best.binoculars and Sanna1967 like this.
  11. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

I mean, you just linked to two separate threads (and there are a lot more complaints on this issue), not sure why you think there should be more people complaining. Maxing out WiFi to LAN is not a typical usecase and I doubt a lot of everyday users would notice.

Edit: to make this less of a rant, alpha2 still going strong in AP mode on AC3200, uptime was disrupted by an unnecessary power cycle (10+ days then 4+ now) but other than that it’s been very stable, logs quiet, no mention of “br0 entered promiscuous mode”.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  12. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Regular Contributor

I can confim too
    Fine for you if its work fine on AC3200, but this guy is talking about ac68 series o_O
    I noticed each time i tried 21045 or 384.6 alpha :oops:

13. jsbeddow

jsbeddow New Around Here

In fact, it is not WiFi to LAN that is slow, it is the inverse (LAN to WiFi) that is problematic in this case. So, in my case, transferring a large number of files from my (wired) LAN computer to a WiFi laptop (5Ghz band) was painfully slow - on the order of 5-7 MB/s, not the 40-50 MB/s that is possible with previous Merlin builds, as well as apparently fixed on newest stock Asus 384_21140 firmware (according to reporting by others).

kfp likes this.
  14. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

You’re right, that was indeed a typo.
    @jsbeddow since you sound more level-headed than others, is this problem exclusive to 68U? (and family??)

Just so others have reference, it was reported here and here that problem is fixed in 384.21140 so it’s just a matter of time Merlin gets access to the GPL archive and port the changes. There is no need for more reports of this issue or quoting me telling me how slow your transfers are.

Tekneek and skeal like this.
  15. jsbeddow

jsbeddow New Around Here

Thank you @kfp for the kind words: I wish I could say with certainty that the problem is exclusive to the 68U/P family of routers, but that is the only model I have for testing, so I cannot confirm one way or the other. There don't seem to be reports of other models being affected from what I can see.

Yes, I am well aware of the existence of the other threads on this subject (as evidenced by my linking to them previously), but was merely commenting that it seemed surprising to me that more attention to this issue hasn't been noted in this primary "384.6 alpha" thread. It would seem like a showstopper (to me at least) for users of this 68U family of routers.

16. Geraner

Geraner Regular Contributor

Not much details so far more than:
    ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.21140
    - Fixed bugs.
    - Improved system stability.

17. Gingernut

Gingernut Senior Member

@RMerlin

How should I setup the Default message log level & Log only messages more urgent than for system logs to debug a soft reboot issue I´m having?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  18. scjr

scjr Senior Member

384.6 alpha 2 still chugging along great here. Very stable alpha. :cool:

Clark Griswald and skeal like this.
  19. PolarBear

PolarBear Regular Contributor

Here too, uptime 14 days now

20. skeal

skeal Very Senior Member

Yup me too. AC3100 running excellent with all my scripts!!!

Vexira and scjr like this.
  21. FadgewackeR

FadgewackeR Regular Contributor

I have a recurring issue, which I've had on 384.5 and 384.6_alpha2-g5b076fc87 - I've never run stock firmware.

Essentially, the QoS Statistics screen, when left on for an extended period of time, ends up hanging / freezing, and the only way I can get back into the WebGUI is to restart via Putty or actually power cycle the router. This has happened multiple times as I've been working through Fresh's script and monitoring the activity generated.

Have any you experienced the same thing? FWIW I am a member of the fairly high memory usage AC86U club... ~90%

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!