What's new

Print server with all in one printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wackychimp

New Around Here
Hi all,

New here and I've found lots of good info. Got a quick question:

I am looking to add a print server to my home network (wired Cat5E plus wireless) because I want to share our all-in-one printer.

I have a small Linksys print server that worked well with our old printer but in this case if I hook it up to our AIO I can print, but I can't scan stuff into my desktop (over the print server). We also have a laptop, plus my wife and I both bring our work laptops home once in a while and need to print. I'd like to be able to print without having the desktop on all the time... which is what I have to do now.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Multifunction printers generally aren't fully supported by print servers unless they specifically are designed to support them.

I can't recommend any specifically. A search for "Multifunction print server" will turn up a few.

Best approach is to buy an printer with built-in network support (for next time). :)

Hi all,

New here and I've found lots of good info. Got a quick question:

I am looking to add a print server to my home network (wired Cat5E plus wireless) because I want to share our all-in-one printer.

I have a small Linksys print server that worked well with our old printer but in this case if I hook it up to our AIO I can print, but I can't scan stuff into my desktop (over the print server). We also have a laptop, plus my wife and I both bring our work laptops home once in a while and need to print. I'd like to be able to print without having the desktop on all the time... which is what I have to do now.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks!

You can share out the all-in-one as a printer only using a print server that has USB cable and LAN cable. DLINK DP-301U works great. I have 3 of those with USBR7500 which also can be used.

One these print servers are connected to your printers in my case 4 USB printers, laser 3 colors and all-in-one. Each print server has it's own IP address very easy to setup them up. I place all the drivers on one PC or in my case another Server OS. Doesn't have to be Server can be a PC that you leave on always. This is optional or you can use CDs instead for each PC you setup to that print server IP.

Entry level AIO models generally don't have TWAIN drivers (the scanning component) that support going via print shares. You can come across some that work with some print servers, but officially it's not supported.

Pickup an AIO model which has a built in NIC....plugs right into the network. Many newer entry models now have features only seen on higher end models now...such as scan to folder, where from the scanner it will "push" the scanned image to a shared folder on a PC on the LAN.

HP 4100 series works.. I don't see the point to run all the house just to scan something in then run all the way back to press scan. If you want to use it to print that's okay the SNB device will do it. Yes you need to load the drivers then for the device and IP address. Once done your system can see the device in My network places.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!