What's new

problem connecting on 5 ghz band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Iorakog

New Around Here
hi. i have the asus ac66 and i had installed the beta 359 firmware.The problem is that usually i cannot connect to the 5 ghz band but i can see it clearly.Sometimes i can connect with the 5 ghz band work for a little time without a problem and then again stops working without any reason.i tried also the dd-wrt firmware for this router but still the same problem.I dont know what to do!my laptop is a macbook pro retina , iphone 5 , ipad 4 and mac mini all with the same problem when you try to connect or when you connect but after a while the efficiency drops.Moreover i tried to tweak the professional mode of 5 ghz band but still with no effect.

Hi,
How did you set up the 5GHz band?

5 ghz config

Frequency 5 ghz
Wireless Mode : N only
Channel bandwidth : 40 MHZ
Control Channel : 40
Multicast Rate(Mbps) : OFMD 36
Preamble Type : long
RTS Threshold : 2000
DTIM Interval : 1
Beacon Interval : 50
Enable TX Bursting : ENABLE
Wireless Multicast Forwarding : ENABLE
Tx power adjustment 75 MW

after a lot of try an error i stayed on this configuration but still i have problem.
I believe that is a firmware error and i am waiting for the new update to fix this.

Frequency 5 ghz
Wireless Mode : N only
Channel bandwidth : 40 MHZ
Control Channel : 40
Multicast Rate(Mbps) : OFMD 36
Preamble Type : long
RTS Threshold : 2000
DTIM Interval : 1
Beacon Interval : 50
Enable TX Bursting : ENABLE
Wireless Multicast Forwarding : ENABLE
Tx power adjustment 75 MW

after a lot of try an error i stayed on this configuration but still i have problem.
I believe that is a firmware error and i am waiting for the new update to fix this.

Re-boot the router to factory specs and leave the settings alone.

Control CH: AUTO
TX Power: 80

My friend now the problem with the connection is slighly better than with the factory conditions,at first i tried as i told before with the factory conditions and then i tried with step by step all the possible configurations,the latest configuration i posted is better than all the others until now but not the best!the problem still exist,5 ghz band connection sometimes degrades to not usable or you cannot connect at all !any solution that works all the time or a firmware upgrade to resolve the problem once and for all!

May I ask what is the 5 Ghz device on the other end? It may have a cheap wireless card in it that's causing the problem. I'm running 354 firmware with factory set up and my 5 Ghz devices are blazing fast with 5 bars connection and they are upstairs and the RT-N66U is down stairs.

Have you tried to measuse the signal strenth of the 5 GHz band ? I use inSSIDer on my laptop to see if the signal fluctuates. As you can read in othreads here in the forum there are issues with the Broadcom driver on the AC66U. I have been waiting several months now for Asus to deliver a new stable driver. I have only PC:s and laprops with Win 7 connected on the 5 GHz band with Asus USB-N53 without any problems regarding connection.

My friend now the problem with the connection is slighly better than with the factory conditions,at first i tried as i told before with the factory conditions and then i tried with step by step all the possible configurations,the latest configuration i posted is better than all the others until now but not the best!the problem still exist,5 ghz band connection sometimes degrades to not usable or you cannot connect at all !any solution that works all the time or a firmware upgrade to resolve the problem once and for all!

Thank you but i dont want to buy an extra adapter for my laptop just to connect to my expensive router on 5 ghz band!i bought an expensive router to have the best right here right now and not to wait for a firmware update for just the basic performance!this is just ridiculous!anyway so the only thing i can do is to wait for a firmware update and nothing else!

The problem is that the rule that the most expansive router is automatictly the best does nor work here. As I mentioned I have been waiting for a new stable Broadcom driver for several months now. I did not say that you should by an extra adapter , I just wrote how it worked for me. Unfortunately I have only one Apple product , an Ipod which connects on the 2.4 GHz without any problems. Look for a program as the the inSSIDer on Win to monitor how your wifi-network and the surrounding networks are situated and the signal strength. Have you tried to call the Asus support if they have any suggestions to solve your problems ?

Thank you but i dont want to buy an extra adapter for my laptop just to connect to my expensive router on 5 ghz band!i bought an expensive router to have the best right here right now and not to wait for a firmware update for just the basic performance!this is just ridiculous!anyway so the only thing i can do is to wait for a firmware update and nothing else!

I am from Greece and it is not easy to call to anybody!i will wait for a driver that works!the thing is that we have to inform asus about this instability in order to work on an update for this particular problem!

So Asus has support I think in Greece as well in Sweden where I live. Asus is informed , Jeremy from Asus who is on this forum has been given the information several months ago but he can not say when the new vricer will come.

I am from Greece and it is not easy to call to anybody!i will wait for a driver that works!the thing is that we have to inform asus about this instability in order to work on an update for this particular problem!