What's new

Proton Wireguard Client Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChitlinNoodleSoup

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus RT-AX86U running version 388.2.2. I currently use Wireguard server on the router so that I can connect to my home network remotely. That's been working perfectly for months. I recently started using Proton VPN at home for privacy, and I'd like to configure my network such that remote devices connected via the Wireguard server running on my router get routed out the Proton Wireguard client also running on my router. I created the Wireguard client config for Proton VPN and added it to my router. It connects with no issue. I then created a rule in VPN Director to tell devices in the 10.6.0.1/32 subnet (devices connected to Wireguard server) to use Wireguard client 1. Remote traffic still routes through my home network, and I can see everything on my LAN, but my public IP still shows as the WAN IP from my ISP and not from the VPN. I've made sure to disconnect and reconnect to the VPN from my phone, and I've tried turning off / on the Wireguard client in the router.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible, or am I just missing a step somewhere? Thanks.

I then created a rule in VPN Director to tell devices in the 10.6.0.1/32 subnet (devices connected to Wireguard server) to use Wireguard client 1.
10.6.0.1/32 is not a subnet, its a single ip (10.6.0.1 in fact, which is only your server peer ip). Use /24 instead to cover the entire 10.6.0.x subnet to also include connected clients ip.