What's new

PS3 and incompatible wifi routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matthew79

New Around Here
Hello everyone. First of all, sorry for my English, I write from Italy, but here I cannot find forums such good and informative as this one.

Recently unfortunately I've bought 2 wireless modem/routers because I have to replace my DG834GT.

But those routers seem to be not perfectly compatible with PS3 wireless adaptor (Linksys WAG320N and Netgear DGN3500) although I've tried any possible setting, like putting them in B/G wireless only (of course I know PS3 doesn't support wireless N).

As a results the download speed from PSN is indecent.
I also own a Netgear DG834GT that works flawlessly with PS3, streaming, gaming and dowloading demos/games from PSN.

Let's talk about some numbers:

TRANSFER pc->PS3 wirelessly a non-transconded divx file 150 MB size:
1) Netgear DG834GT ->1:18 minutes
2) Linksys Wag320N -> 2:44 minutes

TRANSFER pc->PS3 wirelessly a non-transconded divx file 350 MB size:
1) Netgear DG834GT -> 2 minutes e 48 seconds
2) Wag320N -> 5 minutes 58 seconds

Also the Internet speed in incredibly slow, let's watch this test:

Netgear DG834GT setup:
All default, wireless speed 108Mbps Auto, Channel 6(auto)
Here the results after 10 days trying to make the WAg320N work with PS3:

Download from PSN with WAG320N wirelessly connected:

YouTube - LINKSYS WAG320N wireless internet speed PS3 and PSN

Download from PSN with Netgear DG834GT wirelessly connected:

YouTube - Netgear DG834GT wireless internet speed PS3 and PSN

With the DGN3500 I get similar results compared with the WAG320n.
Looking the net ang googling I've found a lot of similar experiences with WAG320N, WAG1260N as a specific proble of incompatibility wireless/PS3

This with PS3 fat 60bg and 80gb, PS3 slim doesn't seem to have any problem with the new N-wireless routers, but I'mj not sure of that.

Just to be clear: I've mention Netgear DG834GT just because these days I have this one to test and compare, but in the past I had good (normal!!!) internet result speeds with the 2 default routers Telecom gave me with my internet connection).

Now, seems that wireless N router have some issues of compatibility with PS3, but the latest models all have wifi-N capabilities. What's the solution, and which router can I choose trying to avoid this problems?

Thanks, Matteo.

Well those times are not bad considering what hardware router your using. What are you getting in forms of download speeds and upload from your ISP? Are you on ADSL system?

I got 20megabit ADSL connection, I usually have DownStream Connection Speed around 17000 kbps and UpStream Connection Speed 850 kbps.

No problem at all with my ISP, I download at 1,7 MB/sec from both pc, PS3 and oter wireless devices.

The problems started when I've changed my DG834G. Have you watched the videos above?

I got 20megabit ADSL connection, I usually have DownStream Connection Speed around 17000 kbps and UpStream Connection Speed 850 kbps.

No problem at all with my ISP, I download at 1,7 MB/sec from both pc, PS3 and oter wireless devices.

The problems started when I've changed my DG834G. Have you watched the videos above?

Are those your videos en Espanol on yotube? What happens if you use wired connection? Is it faster? One Gig file to load over the wireless going to drag that hardware. Where is this video coming from external HDD or over your network?

Yes, these Italian videos are mine.

They show the speed of downloading demo/game from PSN ads you can read above.

PS3 802.11 b/g wireless module has some kind of compatibility issue with new Nrouters, although they are supposed to be backwards compatible with b and g standards.

Yes, these Italian videos are mine.

They show the speed of downloading demo/game from PSN ads you can read above.

PS3 802.11 b/g wireless module has some kind of compatibility issue with new Nrouters, although they are supposed to be backwards compatible with b and g standards.

Everything you have on the network do you use any external switches? Or is everything feed into the router? That was Italian? My I am bad..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!