What's new

QNAP Intros AMD Quad-Core Powered Rack-Mountable NAS Series With 10 GbE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
qnap-ts-x63xu.jpg
The TS-x63XU series, available in hot-swappable 4, 8, and 12-bay designs with single or redundant power supply options, are rackmount enterprise NAS devices powered by AMD’s G-Series GX-420MC quad-core 2.0 GHz processor and dual channel 4GB DDR3LSO-DIMM RAM (upgradable to 16GB).

Aside from already having four GbE interfaces, each TS-x63XU model also includes a single 10 GbE NIC to help accelerate business-related operations such as virtualization and hi-res video production.

The TS-x63XU series supports storage features such SSD caching, tiered storage allocation, and block-based snapshots, and works with VMware, Citrix, MS Hyper-V virtualization solutions that use Windows, Linux, Unix, Android VMs, as well as Docker and LXC containers.

Running QNAP’s QTS OS, the TS-x63XU series supports a variety of apps available through the QTS App Center, including cross-devices file syncing with Qsync, QIoT for IoT app development, and surveillance services via QVR Pro.

For storage expansion, customers can either use QNAP’s UX-1200U-RP or UX-800U-RP expansion units or employ other QNAP NAS devices’ unused disk space with the VJBOD service.

Available now, models in the series and pricing are:

Single power supply models:
  • TS-463XU: 4-bay, 1U rackmount (four GbE, one 10 GbE, two USB 3.0, three USB 2.0) - $1,349
  • TS-863XU: 8-bay, 2U rackmount (four GbE, one 10 GbE, two USB 3.0, two USB 2.0) - $1,549
  • TS-1263XU: 12-bay, 2U rackmount (four GbE, one 10 GbE, two USB 3.0, two USB 2.0) - $1,749

Redundant power supply models:
  • TS-463XU-RP: 4-bay, 1U rackmount (four GbE, one 10 GbE, two USB 3.0, three USB 2.0) - $1,599
  • TS-863XU-RP: 8-bay, 2U rackmount (four GbE, one 10 GbE, two USB 3.0, two USB 2.0) - $1,799
  • TS-1263XU-RP: 12-bay, 2U rackmount (four GbE, one 10 GbE, two USB 3.0, two USB 2.0) - $1,999

price of a 4 core AMD udoo with the same CPU, about $300 for a 25W TDP AMD quad core with integrated vega and arduino compatible as well, however despite the usb-C port it does not come integrated with 10Gb/s as the SoC integrates 2 10Gb/s NICs and a 16 lane PCIe 3.0 as well along with dual channel memory.

Seriously these prices, i mean they dont even come with the drives, only PSU and ram. The highest end udoo you can order is the same quad core AMD 25W TDP CPU but with for almost $600 which includes PSU, case, 16GB of ram and SSD.

The TS-x63XU series, available in hot-swappable 4, 8, and 12-bay designs with single or redundant power supply options, are rackmount enterprise NAS devices powered by AMD’s G-Series GX-420MC quad-core 2.0 GHz processor and dual channel 4GB DDR3LSO-DIMM RAM (upgradable to 16GB).

This is an extension of the x63 series that was originally launched in shoebox/desktop format - decent performers... nice to see it in a rack config - should be nice for a small business/medium enterprise as a filer...

The GX-420MC does have the horsepower to push 10Gbe packets across the LAN... see the QNAP TS-563 Review on the main site...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/32886-qnap-ts563-turbo-nas-reviewed

price of a 4 core AMD udoo with the same CPU, about $300 for a 25W TDP AMD quad core with integrated vega and arduino compatible as well, however despite the usb-C port it does not come integrated with 10Gb/s as the SoC integrates 2 10Gb/s NICs and a 16 lane PCIe 3.0 as well along with dual channel memory.

You are comparing two different things... a hobby/maker board vs. an OEM dedicated solution. The target market here is not the maker/hacker board folks, that's what the Udoo is for..

You are comparing two different things... a hobby/maker board vs. an OEM dedicated solution. The target market here is not the maker/hacker board folks, that's what the Udoo is for..

What im saying is that all these dedicated NAS offerings are so overpriced and while the drives may cost more in total that does not necessarily mean that NAS providers should follow suite with the HDD providers in price hikes as it causes a cumulative price hike. So far both storage and RAM prices already slow consumer purchasing since most of them goes to various OEMs then to miners and other specific purpose hardware.

The SoC is very very capable far better than intel atoms and ARMs while also having a vega GPU and 2 10Gb NICs built in alongside a bunch of goodies, but seeing the pricing that others show when using this SoC makes you wonder whats going on with many dedicated NAS manufacturers when DIY tends to be better and cheaper. you could go out there, getting yourself a B350 or the newer variant (i favour the asus b350 strix for its good VRMs and that they are cooled) alongside an APU and spend far less to fit more, including a chassis (2U if the heatsink is smaller) with a bunch of hot swap bays and decent dual hot swap PSUs.

Heres a challenge, lets put together parts to see if we can build something better and cheaper. We'll use US pricing as thats whats typically quoted. lets troll the NAS manufacturers by putting together better NASes ourselves. Im sure i could do better price/spec wise but not much time to search however because of the AMD CPU choice it can also power your projector, movie theater, TV, etc.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yLmNzY $734.70
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817147006 $287.79
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219024 $182.51
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG7G66902 2x$16.27
Total:1237.54
Specs: ryzen 5 2400g (quad core with 8 threads and vega 11 GPU), 16GB of ram (not the best price but can upgrade to 64GB in future when ram price drops)
decent 500GB SSD for OS m.2 form factor
one of my favourite AMD boards (has onboard intel NIC, good sound and VRMs for budget board)
2x 10Gb NICs (i think they are SFP+ which is awesome as 10Gb SFP+ direct is cheaper and easier than 10Gbe) and 4 port intel Gbe NIC
2 transparent 2 port sata cards for a total of 8 sata ports
case has 8 hot swap sata ports, redundant PSUs, 2U form factor. Factoring in overheads its probably the same price as the cheapest offering but with way better specs.
Space to add usb-c/thunderbolt cards.

What im saying is that all these dedicated NAS offerings are so overpriced and while the drives may cost more in total that does not necessarily mean that NAS providers should follow suite with the HDD providers in price hikes as it causes a cumulative price hike. So far both storage and RAM prices already slow consumer purchasing since most of them goes to various OEMs then to miners and other specific purpose hardware.

Understood - but don't jump on someone's press release...

I think it's an easy thing to forget that when people buy the dedicated solution they're buying MORE than just hardware.

I think it's an easy thing to forget that when people buy the dedicated solution they're buying MORE than just hardware.
i know, the hardware selection i found isnt really the best because many of the components are harder to find and tend to be overpriced. The issue im trying to point out here is the price it would cost a regular user to obtain a decent NAS solution like this. Typically when a home, SOHO or SMB user buys a NAS, it would typically cost less than their PC excluding the drives. The main problem with many inexpensive NAS is the CPU they have being inadequate for things like video. For instance not only can you use a NAS for everything file related including syncing, but you can have a networked login with the storage on the NAS, you can have an IP camera system that uses the NAS and much more. What im saying is that the price to own such a decent NAS is typically the biggest problem. When i built my own NASes they costed me about the same price including the drives. My first NAS cost about £1000 or less for a used phenom ii, 16GB of ram, an unlockable motherboard, a nice low profile copper heatsink that keeps it cool when overclocked, a server case, hot swap drive bays, 6x3TB WD reds (this was a time when 4TB was the largest capacity and drives were cheaper), 2TB WD black, some random PCIe cards for storage and usb, a used SFP+ NIC.

My latest NAS uses a used AMD Piledriver CPU, 32GB of ram, 5x 8TB seagate NAS drives, 1TB WD blue (WD black stopped working), used SFP+ NIC all for about £1500.
The power supplies i use (i tend to swap them about depending on needs like if i attach GPUs) are seasonic, evga, and another decent brand.

This one costs the same as my NAS but without the drives and for way less ram.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!