What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LongRangeSkeet

Regular Contributor
Hello all. I've been looking for a replacement router that primarily has good Active Queue Management features and came across the RT-AX88U. I've used stock firmware on ASUS routers in the past but I do not have any experience with Merlin.

I couldn't find any answers to my questions while searching the web and so here I am.

I read somewhere that ASUS routers with certain chipsets do not support AQM very well or if at all. Does this specific model actually support either FQ_Codel or CAKE, and if so, does it implement them well?

I've read that all DOCSIS 3.1 modems have DOCSIS-PIE AQM built-in, which can lead to significant latency spikes and jitter while having AQM settings enabled on a router.

Is this router's AQM/QOS compatible with a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem or can it be configured to work together?

Thanks.

Fq_codel has been implemented but it lacks driver level support, apparently the kernel version is lower than what cake required, from what I last read.

Fq_codel has been implemented but it lacks driver level support, apparently the kernel version is lower than what cake required, from what I last read.

Bummer. So it looks like no reliable AQM support then, is this true for both the stock and Merlin firmware?

What is this "Adaptive QOS." Does it actually work as advertised or is this another ASUS marketing gimmick?

Thank you.

Stock firmware does not support fq_codel, only my firmware does.

The missing fq_codel features at the driver level are mostly related to people running at line speed (i.e. a 1 Gbps connection). It won't make any measurable difference for the vast majority of users.

Adaptive QoS uses Trend Micro's DPI engine to classify traffic, and assign them to priority queues. It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job without requiring people to manually create a bunch of rules for their network. My firmware improves on top of it by replacing sfq with fq_codel.

I am intrigued. In Merlin, can I have both the Adaptive QOS and fq_codel turned ON at the same time? Will this all work without issues while IPv6 is enabled and using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem?

I am intrigued. In Merlin, can I have both the Adaptive QOS and fq_codel turned ON at the same time? Will this all work without issues while IPv6 is enabled and using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem?
Yes, that's is my setup. And I use the FreshJR script as L&LD mentioned above to gain more fine control over QoS.

Yes, that's is my setup. And I use the FreshJR script as L&LD mentioned above to gain more fine control over QoS.

By any chance, are you using this setup on an RT-AX88U? I would just like to know how stable and functional this particular model is at the moment. I read some reviews that say that this model may have some serious stability issues.

@LongRangeSkeet if you're reading this on a mobile device, try physically turning it sideways to landscape mode to see the signatures of the posts. :)

Yes, he is using 2x RT-AX88U's and for myself; rock steady indeed. :)

By any chance, are you using this setup on an RT-AX88U? I would just like to know how stable and functional this particular model is at the moment. I read some reviews that say that this model may have some serious stability issues.
No stability issues on both off my RT-AX88U. I updated about a year ago from RT-AC86U and RT-AC88U and both of these routers had issues. On the RT-AC88U half of the Ethernet switch died on me and I experienced constant memory leaks. I had to set a nightly reboot scheduler to keep it going. The RT-AC86U would sometimes not reboot and just hung there with all LCD lights off. So far both of the AX88U's work as expected with all the scripts as per my signature loaded.

Last edited:
@LongRangeSkeet if you're reading this on a mobile device, try physically turning it sideways to landscape mode to see the signatures of the posts. :)

Yes, he is using 2x RT-AX88U's and for myself; rock steady indeed. :)

Ah yes! I'm not really that observant :)

No stability issues on both off my RT-AC88U. I updated about a year ago from RT-AC86U and RT-AC88U and both of these routers had issues. On the RT-AC88U half of the Ethernet switch died on me and I experienced constant memory leaks. I had to set a nightly reboot scheduler to keep it going. The RT-AC86U would sometimes not reboot and just hung there with all LCD lights off. So far both of the AX88U's work as expected with all the scripts as per my signature loaded.

Superb! Then it sounds like a worthy replacement for my XR500, which I really regret buying. It seems to me that Merlin is pretty much plug and play when compared to OpenWrt, which is not guaranteed to run well on any of the "supported" hardware in the first place.

Ah yes! I'm not really that observant :)

Superb! Then it sounds like a worthy replacement for my XR500, which I really regret buying. It seems to me that Merlin is pretty much plug and play when compared to OpenWrt, which is not guaranteed to run well on any of the "supported" hardware in the first place.
Corrected my comment from AC to AX88U

Bummer. So it looks like no reliable AQM support then, is this true for both the stock and Merlin firmware?

What is this "Adaptive QOS." Does it actually work as advertised or is this another ASUS marketing gimmick?

Thank you.
Adaptive QoS works wonders for me I get way lower ping when I'm downloading an update on Xbox or Steam while playing a game at the same time or if my family is watching Netflix.

Adaptive QoS works wonders for me I get way lower ping when I'm downloading an update on Xbox or Steam while playing a game at the same time or if my family is watching Netflix.

Are you also using the fq_codel in addition or just the Adaptive QOS by itself?

Using the gui option for it under adaptive QoS, it's a toggle option there.
Is there an option available to set the packet overhead for the fq_codel? Are you able to choose what you are using: Fiber,DSL, Cable? Or is it just a simple set your bandwidth and forget it kinda deal?
Sorry for so many questions. Thanks.