What's new

Questions About QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor Device Priority

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bikermiker

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. This is my first post here. I'm new at all this so uh... just setting expectations.

I did a search and did not find what I was looking for so here are some questions regarding the Device Priority portion of the QoS Bandwidth Monitor settings page.

I have set a few items as highest priority and one as lowest. The network traffic from the lowest priority device is still hogging the network and blocks higher priority devices (synology traffic set to lowest, typically cloud file transfers).

a. I am running Dual Wan with routing rules. This is happening on the same WAN.
b. One of my devices is behind a bandwidth limiter.

Is there anything about "Device Priority" or my setup that would render it useless ie, lowest priority device is not giving way to highest/medium device?

Is adaptive QOS turned on in the tab over ?
No. It is set on Bandwidth Limiter.

FAQ isn't clear regarding Device Prioritization vs Adaptive QoS. It would make sense that Adaptive has to be on but the instructions don't state having it on is required. If it's in there I surely missed it.

I'm assuming that Adaptive QoS needs to be turned on instead of Bandwidth Limiter?

Never used bandwidth limiter.

But I know that device priority works with adaptive QOS.

It's weird they put it on a separate page without a note stating that QOS has to be on in the tab over.

If you post the output of

Code:
tc class show dev eth0

We could get hints if the router is attempting to prioritize devices with bandwidth limiter enabled.

Last edited:
Never used bandwidth limiter.

But I know that device priority works with adaptive QOS.

It's weird they put it on a separate page without a note stating that QOS has to be on the tab over.

If you post the output of

Code:
tc class show dev eth0

We could get hints if the router is attempting to prioritize devices with bandwidth limiter enabled.

No output.

class htb 1:9 parent 1:1 leaf 9: prio 1 rate 10240Mbit ceil 10240Mbit burst 0b cburst 0b
class htb 1:1 root rate 1024Mbit ceil 1024Mbit burst 1408b cburst 1408b
class htb 1:30 parent 1:1 leaf 30: prio 7 rate 1536Kbit ceil 1536Kbit burst 1599b cburst 1599b

class htb 1:9 parent 1:1 leaf 9: prio 1 rate 10240Mbit ceil 10240Mbit burst 0b cburst 0b
class htb 1:1 root rate 1024Mbit ceil 1024Mbit burst 1408b cburst 1408b
class htb 1:30 parent 1:1 leaf 30: prio 7 rate 1536Kbit ceil 1536Kbit burst 1599b cburst 1599b

That confirms that your 1.5Mbit bandwidth limit is applied, but no device prioritization is happening.

Apparently you need AdaptiveQOS running.