What's new

Questions from new Voxel firmware user (R7800)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

G.Wiz

New Around Here
Long time Asus user running asuswrt-merlin. Recently got R7800 and after hours of hair-pulling found it unusable with NG firmware. Tried DD-WRT but had issues with UI. Flashed V1.0.2.69SF and all good with noted exceptions below.

Is it possible to restrict router admin access to specific devices on LAN?

Also, is there no WoL feature? Have this accessible from webui in merlin and sorely miss it.

Lastly, a minor quibble, but when naming and categorizing attached devices and applying changes, some device changes doesn't stick: blank page loads and after returning to Attached Devices, settings same as before.

Long time Asus user running asuswrt-merlin. Recently got R7800 and after hours of hair-pulling found it unusable with NG firmware. Tried DD-WRT but had issues with UI. Flashed V1.0.2.69SF and all good with noted exceptions below.

Is it possible to restrict router admin access to specific devices on LAN?
No. Router log in is open to the LAN side devices for ease or need of access from any device when the need arises.

Also, is there no WoL feature? Have this accessible from webui in merlin and sorely miss it. I don't think NG supported this as it's a limited use feature not used by many. Possible might be a telnet configuration or PortForwarding configuration. Maybe others will know about this.

Lastly, a minor quibble, but when naming and categorizing attached devices and applying changes, some device changes doesn't stick: blank page loads and after returning to Attached Devices, settings same as before.
Possible known UI issue in NGs core stock fw which Voxel builds his from. He can only build certain sections of the stock FW from the core code. In some cases NG has to make corrections to this core code before it migrates thru Voxel FW.

Thanks for the response and clarifying my "minor quibble" which was also an issue with dd-wrt.. Router has been stable with Voxel's since this past Sunday; seems to be a keeper.

I've been thinking about switching from my Asus AC86U Merlin to the R7800 Voxel for a while now. I'm curious to try this well regarded router for a change, after being with Asus for several years.

I switched from R7800 to Asus 86U and I don't regret switching :p. Though I still appreciate Voxel's efforts to still support this Netgear abandoned router.

I switched from R7800 to Asus 86U and I don't regret switching :p. Though I still appreciate Voxel's efforts to still support this Netgear abandoned router.

Haven't switched...yet, but am sorely missing Asus. Works with stock out of box, feature set for my use case easily accessible via gui.

There was a FW release just this past July 2019 for the R7800. Not sure I would call it "abandoned". o_O

There was a FW release just this past July 2019 for the R7800. Not sure I would call it "abandoned". o_O

That was just a hot fix for a security issue nothing else was changed. Netgear has not released a firmware upgrade since January of 2019. That is the longest it's ever been. I am also starting to wonder if Netgear is on the verge of dumping support for the 7800 I sure hope not.

With the 7800 being generally available in 2016, I wouldn't expect any further support from NG, IMO, today. :(

Ya the R7800 had been one of NGs work horses, however it has been on the docks for past few years. I presume eventually NG will probably call it EOL sometime in the future. I see the R7000 is still going and it had an update last month and still seems to be going. Though it maybe not long for EOL as well. Only NG knows. :oops:

That was just a hot fix for a security issue nothing else was changed. Netgear has not released a firmware upgrade since January of 2019. That is the longest it's ever been. I am also starting to wonder if Netgear is on the verge of dumping support for the 7800 I sure hope not.
But at one point, when the router is stable, why a new firmware? Do you update your BIOS when it's working fine? Unless there is a security risk, there's no need, and even the makers recommend not to update when things are working well.

EOL. I do not think so. First, release of a stock firmware is rather rare event. All the time. Usually when new security hole was found for all routers.

Second, there was problem with QoS server name resolving in January if I am not mistaken when it could not be resolved. Currently it is ok.

updates.r7800.netgear.streamboost.yeti.bigfootnetworks.com

you may ping it. It is alive.

Third. And I did not see R7800 in EOL list. I've seen R7500v1...

P.S. And also my releases decreases the number of alarms to NG support for R7800 (forcing NG to release of new stock :)

Voxel.

I've had 2 86U's which i have had to return due to the wireless dropping, i picked up the R7800 after i heard about Voxel's firmware. :)

I've had 2 86U's which i have had to return due to the wireless dropping
Really? I was sure that ASUS routers are pretty stable re: wireless connection. Have you tried firmware from Merlin for your 86U?

Voxel.

Really? I was sure that ASUS routers are pretty stable re: wireless connection. Have you tried firmware from Merlin for your 86U?

Voxel.
Hi Voxel. Yeah I have used Merlin no issues there. I think the 86U's i had were faulty to be honest, I know its a good router but fancied a change.

I don’t claim to know a great deal about router manufacturing and support periods but from what I can tell it is still possible to purchase brand new R7800’s from large and small online retailers. While I was shopping for a good deal on one, I noticed them go out of stock on a well known website and then for them to have more stock a week or so later.

Appreciate that this doesn’t necessarily mean they’re still being produced but orders for them are being serviced, seemingly, so I would not think Netgear would be able to rationalise making a widely available sold new product EoL if that meant they ceased software / vulnerability support for it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!