What's new

quick question about DHCP reservations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I only have the one router. Not using AIMesh currently, in fact I looked for options to turn that off initially after setting up the router. According to older threads, there isn't a way to completely turn the AIMesh feature off, even on a single router.

That's ok... other readers may have wireless nodes.

AiMesh is 'ON' if you add a node and 'OFF' if you don't.

OE

It depends on where you are coming from, but this is correct in most cases. If you already had a good AC Wave 2 capable router, a new AX router will show improvement to AX capable clients only. For example, if you have good working AC86U, upgrading to AX86U gives you nothing to existing AC clients, about 45% faster speeds to common AX 2-stream clients, 100% boost if you are lucky with 160MHz wide channel and you have a device with 160MHz support. AX radio is good for full speed wireless backhaul between two routers.
The AC router I upgraded from was this here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c4000/. According to the specs, it has the same, or similar CPU and RAM as the RTAX86S. The main differences I see are the overall theoretical speeds and the Asus is Dual Band the TP-Link is TRI-Band. So I think they both have the same guts beyond the WiFi speeds and specs. I upgraded because the TP-Link hasn't gotten firmware since 2019.

This router has the same BCM4908 CPU as in AX86U, 512MB RAM and 3x sets of 3x3 BCM4365E radios, AC Wave 2 with MU-MIMO support. It will have very similar to AX86U performance to AC clients. Tri-radio allows more active clients support and 2x bandwidth on 5GHz. It's a good hardware router, but TP-Link don't care much about firmware upgrades after 2 years mark. TP-Link routers are usually offered in a lower price range though.

This router has the same BCM4908 CPU as in AX86U, 512MB RAM and 3x sets of 3x3 BCM4365E radios, AC Wave 2 with MU-MIMO support. It will have very similar to AX86U performance to AC clients. Tri-radio allows more active clients support and 2x bandwidth on 5GHz. It's a good hardware router, but TP-Link don't care much about firmware upgrades after 2 years mark. TP-Link routers are usually offered in a lower price range though.
Yeah I used it for a few years, it was a good router, still is. Was just concerned without firmware updates, how long it wold take to become a security hole. Anyway, I moved to one of these earlier this year as my first WiFi 6 router: AX4400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router - TP-Linkhttps://www.tp-link.com › wifi-router › archer-ax4400. I wanted something more advanced though, because while TP-Link has been stable for me, between the lack of firmware, and fine tuned options (such as Asus provides) I wanted something a bit more dependable for long term support. That's where the search for Asus Routers came in, and really why I came here looking for more detailed info on them, than what I initially had. Anyway, the RT-AX86U is here to stay, I paid it off this month, and it's stable. I still have both TP-Link routers as well as the window to return them has closed on both.

You just wanted something new to play with. Any of the above routers would work about the same in your environment. TP-Link may not have too many firmware updates, but no much information of mass attacked or hacked TP-Link routers either. Asus routers are targeted more often.

You just wanted something new to play with. Any of the above routers would work about the same in your environment. TP-Link may not have too many firmware updates, but no much information of mass attacked or hacked TP-Link routers either. Asus routers are targeted more often.
I like new stuff, yes, however, in this case I also wanted to make sure I got something that would last and be supported. I have seen people criticize both TP-Link and Asus, and NETGEAR, and anything else. Asus has been appealing to me because of the user interface.
I didn't realize Asus was targeted more than TP-Link. I thought the opposite might be true due to lack of firmware updates. Never too late to learn something new ;)

Asus has been appealing to me because of the user interface.

It's new to you, but it's actually >10 years old already.
Original Dark Knight router RT-N66U had the same GUI in 2011:

1656975460056.png

In my opinion the GUI needs badly a complete overhaul and a modern new look.

It's new to you, but it's actually >10 years old already.
Original Dark Knight router RT-N66U had the same GUI in 2011:

View attachment 42472

In my opinion the GUI needs badly a complete overhaul and a modern new look.
Maybe that's why I like it. It has that retro SciFi look, I like. I wouldn't mind to see an updated version. I do wish Asus had given the option to change the theme in the special edition routers from the special edition to the classic look, but it's not a big deal. Seems like people who have asked before in older threads here, never found a way to change it either. Has @RMerlin ever mentioned giving his firmware for the routers a new look, or does he have to follow the guidelines Asus sets?

I wanted to add an additional question to my first on this thread. Does anyone happen to know if WMM APSD still causes issues with Apple devices? from what I've been able to find from reading threads on this forum, and other sites is, most of the problems were with older devices, but to watch it and turn it off if there are problems. With this said, what is the typical recommendation for this setting these days? to leave it on, or turn it off?
I haven't noticed any problems on the surface by leaving it on, on the 5Ghz channel, however I wanted to find out if it really does anything helpful, or if it's just marketing like most current terms.
Thanks

My oldest iOS device is an iPad Air 2. My oldest apple computer is a late 2013 13" MBP (I don't use much anymore.)
As mentioned, my iPhone 12 Pro Max, latest iOS doesn't seem to visually give any issues with the setting on. The iPad doesn't disconnect, but can sometimes really drop in wireless speed until I reboot it.

Doesn't apply to design elements. Asuswrt GUI just looks outdated, old PC game panel style.

No. Although modern mobile devices have own power management, keep it enabled on 5GHz and disabled for 2.4GHz IoT.
OK, that's my current setup enabled for 5Ghz, and disabled for 2.4. Thanks for the feedback. I was going to turn it off on 5Ghz as well, but it sounds like I can leave it as is, and not have problems.

@Tech9 : I just got done watching Security Now with Steve Gibson, and his main topic today was a newish Router trojan called Zoerat (not sure of the spelling) Anyway he mentioned Asus routers as one of the vendors targeted, but he mentioned the AC models, not the AX models. How relevant is this today? I have the latest firmware, and don't recall seeing any warnings against this on the forum. So was curious if it was still a concern to be aware of.