What's new

R7000 Bridge Mode Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

worldturning

New Around Here
Have 2 R7000's, one as the router and the other as a bridge. With both updated to firmware V1.0.2.120_1.0.17, the bridge will not connect if it is booted/turned on more than 8 ft. away from the router. The 5 GHz light is lit but solid.

If I boot/turn on the bridge 8 ft. or less from the router, the bridge will connect to the router (5 GHz light blinks). I can even pull it more than 8 ft. away from the router (as far as the length of the ac cord plus the length of the surge suppressor) and the bridge will stay connected.

I downgraded the firmware on the bridge to V1.0.1.22_1.0.15 and it now connects to the router when it is booted/turned on more that 8 ft. away from the router.

The R7000 bridge is now about 35 ft. away from the router connecting several home theater components. It replaced an R6300 being used as a bridge which I wanted to give to a friend to upgrade their current router. I might just go with a cheaper option since there doesn't appear to be any speed difference with the R6300. Posted this issue in the Netgear forum too.

I seem to have a similar issue....my main router updated just fine and is running great. My R7000 that was set as a bridge seemed to start the upgrade ok, and then became unresponsive. I let it sit for about 45 minutes, and still no ping or response.

Tried rebooting the router, and no ping after that, tried a normal reset, 30-30-30 reset, and tftp new firmware when i get the few pings during initial power up. Nothing is working....looks like the latest firmware bricked my router.

Any ideas on how to un-brick, or revive my poor baby? Thanks!

I submitted a support email with a very brief discussion about what my issue was and what I had attempted in order to get the router functional again. Without any follow up questions, I got this response....

I have narrowed down your issue to what seems to be a hardware problem on the R7000. Your product has 337 days of hardware warranty remaining. You are entitled to warranty replacement of the product.

I have initiated a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) on the product. You will receive a separate email containing a link to complete the RMA process. Please check your spam folder if you are unable to find the email for the RMA. If you need any further assistance on the RMA please contact us at 1(888) NETGEAR or 1(888) 638-4327.​

Looks to me like they are already aware of this issue and are RMA'ing all affected units....Thanks for the link for the serial console....luckily I'll just be able to get a new router, and not have to resort to any of that wizardry!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online