What's new

R7000 reboots spontaneously

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddaenen1

Very Senior Member
It seems the consumer devices in my network, my 3 AP's are now the weakest links. Out of nowhere, my R7000 has started to spontaneously reboot. I did not change anything to the router nor to its configuration since i bought it about a year ago and flashed it with the latest available firmware at the time. This started several weeks ago for the first time and has happened a couple times since. I have tried switching it on and off, did a powercycle but no luck to date. The only thing i haven't done is a reset, which will happen over the weekend.

Anyone experience with this? Could i fix this with moving to alternative firmware that is more stable?

I highly recommend you flash FreshTomato on it. The last few or so NG firmware releases have not only removed features (TimeMachine, Downloader, DLNA, etc) but have introduced quite a few issues as well, judging by how many people have issues on NG's forum

Maybe check/switch the AC adapter?

Good one but i don't have any replacement. The issue is, the router reboots and the log is empty so i have nothing to trace it back to.

I highly recommend you flash FreshTomato on it. The last few or so NG firmware releases have not only removed features (TimeMachine, Downloader, DLNA, etc) but have introduced quite a few issues as well, judging by how many people have issues on NG's forum

I have read this in other forums too. I do not need many features as i use it as an AP which predominantly services wifi in our living room and a hardwired connection of our TV to the network. Nothing else.

I am actually thinking of trowing it out and replace with a GS108PE switch and a Cisco WAP571 AP connected through POE to get more stability as the living room wifi is probably the most crucial one in the house.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If its losing power suddenly I dont think that would be logged. It just sounds electronic to me.. I would think its overheating or its the adapter..I dont see how firmware would make it reboot.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183990908847...Y9Z_wLeynt503rn5lKiMpaoEYwmc-khRoCvbcQAvD_BwE

Appears to be 12V, 3.5A..
You might be right. The router and power supply are in a cabinet underneath the TV and next to the fireplace. It might well be the case that it overheats which makes it reset but then again, it only happens occasionally and after the reset it just continues to operate perfectly for days or weeks.

oh.. I have my 7800 out on top of my entertainment center by the TV...further, I have it elevated on top of 2 old TV remotes so it gets airflow underneath. Very early 1990s NetGear
routers were notorious for overheating.