What's new

R7000 worth buying?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oblivious

New Around Here
Hey everyone... I have a $100 gift card for Dell and I've been wanting to upgrade my router for a while now... Using the gift card if would get the nighthawk for around 80 bucks brand new... My question is would it be worth it? Official reviews state it's a fantastic router while first hand reviews say it's good but has problems....

Most official reviews don't test the router over time.

For 2-3 days at a time, the R7000 is the best of the AC1900 routers in my opinion.

And then everything goes south.

I'm using one as we speak *smile*, and it depends on what firmware you use and how you use a router. It has worked great for me using dd-wrt firmware, although right at the moment I'm using an early version of tomato firmware (Victek's) to look at stability. Great so far, including IPv6, but I need to see a lot more uptime here before I can say that it's stable.

My advice to anyone buying any router is to make sure that you can return it if it doesn't meet your needs. Of course, that advise applies to many things in life.

Anyways, the stock firmware isn't doing fantastically from what I hear *smile* but I really don't care about that, personally. I never used Asus firmware on my RT-N66U, either.

Last edited:
This late in the game I would wait and use that $100.00 gift card on an AC3200 or AC2350 router. Just my opinion. Good luck.

My opinion is that manufacturers are releasing very good hardware with immature software, that's true for Buffalo, linksys, netgear, I never used Asus so I don't include, my Buffalo WZR-1750DHP as released was a crap, same history with my 2 previous Buffalo units, until few weeks no descent firmware for it, thanks God there are good developers in ddwrt and current build is good enough, maybe with the time also will improve this router over its specs. Same history you will read on R7000, and very likely to repeat with R7500 and R8000, the industry lacks software quality control, this is shameful but true.

This late in the game I would wait and use that $100.00 gift card on an AC3200 or AC2350 router. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Not sure that I'd jump from the frying pan into the fire like that, have to wait for firmware to stabilize, and pay more for the pain. The R7000 very likely has all the functionality that you'll need, and having stable firmware available for it makes it a good way to go.

That's my opinion. As I said, I'm using the R7000, it is serving me well, and I'll be using it for the foreseeable future. You'd have to have some home infrastructure to need a wireless-3200AC or wireless-2350AC router.

Not sure that I'd jump from the frying pan into the fire like that, have to wait for firmware to stabilize, and pay more for the pain. The R7000 very likely has all the functionality that you'll need, and having stable firmware available for it makes it a good way to go.

That's my opinion. As I said, I'm using the R7000, it is serving me well, and I'll be using it for the foreseeable future. You'd have to have some home infrastructure to need a wireless-3200AC or wireless-2350AC router.

Understandable Roger. I always appreciate your input and respect your opinion. I've been a router enthusiast for years and all this talk about AC2350, AC3200, UM-MIMO, Tri-Band has me hyped. I always been a guy for the latest technology. And sometimes it does back fire on me.

As basic as my setup will be I don't think I'll be tinkering too much with it after I get it setup.

id love an r7000 personally thats all i would take over my rt-ac66u

As basic as my setup will be I don't think I'll be tinkering too much with it after I get it setup.

Hopefully, you don't run into the switching issue because that will affect even basic setups.

I don't use my router for anything other than wired and wireless connectivity. No NAS features, no QoS, no port forwarding, nothing like that.

And the R7000 couldn't handle it. Every 2 or 3 days it would forget it's layer 2 forwarding table and assume everything was connected to the wired switch, even wireless clients.

If you have an R7000 search for KONG dd-wrt, he managed to maintain an stable branch for some newer hardware and the R7000 is his personal router too, so hid ddwrt is well debuged, have two versions one with transmission (BT) and another with Zabbix (std)

(same file is good for asus ac68u and some routers)

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

Last edited:
Short update: dd-wrt implementers are working on the two major shortcomings of the firmware, CTF module is being added, and IPv6 is also being worked on. So the future is looking good for dd-wrt.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!