What's new

R7800 Temperature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeKeiser

Hello everyone,

Just curious, what is the temperature of your R7800?
Mine is between 52°C and 56° in a room at 22/23°C
I think it's perfect; spec wise.
I also have a cooler for laptops, I can gain about 6/8°C when I turn it on, but it makes some noise in the bedroom, so...

Mine is wall-mounted flat against a wall with the ports on top, and I'm currently getting 46°C at room temperature of 21°C.
My CPU load is currently 5% so not using much.

WiFi temperature is ath0 - 40°C and ath1 - 36°C

Last edited:
55°C right now, Core 0 is at 7%, Core 1 at 3%. Warmer than yours, room temp is 22°C. Weird...
R7800 Temp_1.jpg

As long as you don't hit 75°C or higher, you'll be fine. Turn the cooler on only when it's hot/heatwave

The key seems to be mounting the router vertically. Better airflow, lower temperatures. :)

Code:
root@HERMES:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp

Room @ 21°C
Horizontal on top of laptop cooler.
Load is very low.

Code:
root@HERMES:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp

Room @ 21°C
Horizontal on top of laptop cooler.
Load is very low.
The cooler is on I presume? Even when mine is running, I never get those temps. Closer to 48°C, even when the router is "idle". Might be because the thermal paste is not applied properly on mine...

Another datapoint - and it sits horizontal on a USB powered laptop cooler.
root@R7800:/$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp

Code:

Horizontal, on a wooden shelf, no cooler, room temp ~ 23C.

My cooler is off. I'll turn it on and check again in 1/2h :)

EDIT :
So 1/2h later with the cooler on :

A bit better, but is it worth it? I mean, the fans make some noise :O

But there is something I don't understand. When I use Kamoj's addon, I get this :
R7800 Temp_2.jpg

54°C at the same time.
So which temp is the right one?

Last edited:
The cooler is on I presume? Even when mine is running, I never get those temps. Closer to 48°C, even when the router is "idle". Might be because the thermal paste is not applied properly on mine...

Yes, all the time. Silent and not in a living room.
After the problems I had with my first R7800 (nvram resets), I got the cooler at the same time as the new one from RMA.

PS: I have not been able to read those temps from netdata yet. If someone was successful doing that, please share.

The key seems to be mounting the router vertically. Better airflow, lower temperatures. :)

Looks like you are correct. As a quick test, I stood my router vertically on the front edge for a bit, and the temps dropped by a few degrees compared to when it was sitting horizontally.

Code:

Yes, all the time. Silent and not in a living room.
After the problems I had with my first R7800 (nvram resets), I got the cooler at the same time as the new one from RMA.

PS: I have not been able to read those temps from netdata yet. If someone was successful doing that, please share.

Hello :)

What do you mean exactly?

Hello :)

What do you mean exactly?
Netdata is cool monitoring tool available from Entware.
You can monitor all kind of information from a simple web page (CPU, memory, network, and more).
Netdata is able to report temperature, but I have not been able to set it up correctly on the R7800. Got it to work on Odroid N2 and C2 for temps.

It is ok, but a little high... particularly in a cool room. Was your router doing intense CPU tasks?
If not, the airflow is not optimal. Is the router in a piece of furniture? Or a place without air circulation?

I would suggest to get a laptop cooler just to be sure and give a long life to your router :)

My temps run a bit higher in a cool room. Do we think these are ok?

View attachment 25935

Mine would always hover around 72 degrees C. I just propped up my router on two supports (to allow airflow around the sides and now it is down to 64 degrees C. I'm fine with that.

It is ok, but a little high... particularly in a cool room. Was your router doing intense CPU tasks?
If not, the airflow is not optimal. Is the router in a piece of furniture? Or a place without air circulation?

I would suggest to get a laptop cooler just to be sure and give a long life to your router :)

Thanks for the reply. No, it seems to sit around this temp all the time, regardless of what the task is. It is out in the open, but kind of tucked away in a corner. Perhaps isn't quite getting the circulation it needs. Will look into a small laptop cool, thanks for the tip. Would be a shame for it to give up the ghost before it's time.

I've done a bit more testing of this and I installed DD-WRT to test it against that.
With latest version of DD-WRT (28th August) I get between 41-47C (wall mounted)

With Voxel and Kamoj I'm getting 45-55C depending on room temp, humidity and CPU load.

The Netgear firmware seems to have more going on which is running the CPU higher regardless of CPU load compared to a more basic setup like DD-WRT

This would appear normal for the Netgear/Voxel firmware so nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!