What's new

Voxel R7800 Voxel Internet Speed seems capped

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

senpai

New Around Here
Hello.
1st off I would like to thanks Voxel and Kamoj. I am new to Linux, so please bare with me.

I am on V1.0.2.80.4SF and have been having issues with internet speed when using OpenVPN (IPVanish). I have 2 devices connected and every report the same speed.
I get 30 - 35 mbps while using IPVanish on the routerand on a mobile device.
If I disable it I can get upto 250 mbps (i have comcast at 300+ )

the thing is, that when I run the IPVanish application on win10, I get close to 220 mbps. (this make my head hurt :))

at this point I do not know for what else I need to look for and or change.

this is the .opvn:
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote iad-a03.ipvanish.com 443
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
ca ca.ipvanish.com.crt
verify-x509-name iad-a03.ipvanish.com name
auth-user-pass IPVanishVPN.auth
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth SHA256
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-DSS-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA

I did compare the logs when I connect via router with ipvanish enabled and running IPVanish thur app.
i did notice that snd and Rcv buffers were a bit different, but i have not found any why to actually change it.
I did change it in the /etc/init.d/openvpn-client file but that did not help.....

any way I thank everyone in advance for taking a look....

Senpai

I'm also using IPvanish and also seeing that maximum download speed is around 35 Mbps.

Reason why your Win10 can reach much higher speeds, it because it has a much faster CPU than the router.

But, I did read that some people were getting OpenVPN speeds of 70 Mbps or even higher on a R7800 running Voxel FW.

My explanation for IPvanish not reaching this 70 Mbps: (don't have proof though)

OpenVPN client tries to set the send and receive buffers to 786432 to improve the speed.
(--sndbuf 786432 --rcvbuf 786432 in/etc/init.d/openvpn-client)

But if you connect to IPvanish, then their OpenVPN servers push a smaller buffer setting to the client:

(PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp,dhcp-option DNS 198.18.0.1,dhcp-option DNS 198.18.0.2,rcvbuf 493216,sndbuf 493216,explicit-exit-notify 5,comp-lzo no,route-gateway 172.21.22.1,topology subnet,ping 20,ping-restart 40,ifconfig 172.21.xx.xxx 255.255.254.0,peer-id 6,cipher AES-256-GCM')

And perhaps also some other VPN providers use a cipher that is less strong?

Anyways, I'm only using the VPN tunnel to route my torrent traffic through it, so to lower speed isn't really bothering me.

EDIT: probably the pushing of "cipher AES-256-GCM" by IPvanish also has a great negative impact on the speed.

Last edited:
R. Gerrits thanks for the info.
I did some speed testing and it seems that on the 2.4 ghz channel i am getting 30-40 mbps on the Main router/modem (C7000). 5 ghz does 350 mbps.

it seems like the R7800 (Voxel firmware using Ipvanish) router some how is using the speed of the 2.4 even though i am on the 5ghz.

Without IPvanish I do get 240 - 250 mbps.
seems strange.

It is simply a coincide that your 2.4 Ghz WiFi and the IPvanish VPN both max-out at around 30-40 Mbps.

If I connect to my R7800 via 2.4 Wifi, then speedtest (without VPN) will get about 100 Mbps down.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!