What's new

Rbr50v2 Conversion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cool, well here's the link! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BITNgWNralEcBh6oRXDeQIq7pPpbQvQx/view?usp=sharing let me know if it works for you, and I am no way responsible for bricked devices ;)

Yes please, I'd be interested in the config to block future updates :)

props to @kvr, I'm only following his steps above, nothing clever from me!
Yes, it worked, almost perfectly.

Here is what I did. Since the modded firmware was based on 2.7.4.24, I made sure the RBR50 v2 orbi had 2.7.4.24 router firmware first. Then just flashed your modded firmware, using the web interface. And it became an RBS50! Functionally it worked well, with both wireless backhaul and wired backhaul to the existing RBR50 router (running in AP mode).

Only caveat is it could not be flashed to any other versions of RBS50 firmware: it is stuck at RBS50 2.7.4.24. When I checked the hidden info via http://[converted RBS50 ip]/hidden_info.htm , I saw
Board Model ID : RBR50
Board Data : 1101
So, these board data points were still kept in router mode. And since 2.7.4.24 version removed telnet functionality, I could not use these commands to correct:
artmtd -w board_data 1102
artmtd -w board_model_id RBS50

My guess is that this router (rather than satellite) board identification is the reason no other RBS50 firmware can be loaded to it. If there is a way to modify the board id, that would be a perfect solution. Not sure if a mod based on an older version of firmware with telnet functionality could work, since after flashing we could log in and execute the artmtd commands to change the board id.

Regarding how to prevent netgear from auto updating, we just need to block all orbi devices on the home network from accessing the following 2 sites:

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
updates1.netgear.com

There may be different ways to accomplish this. What I do is to set up an adguard home (e.g. on a raspberry pi) to act as the DNS server for my home network. Then create a couple of custom filtering rules, like below. The 192.168.1.2-4 are LAN ip addresses of orbis.

||http.fw.updates1.netgear.com^$client=192.168.1.2|192.168.1.3|192.168.1.4
||updates1.netgear.com^$client=192.168.1.2|192.168.1.3|192.168.1.4

Yes, it worked, almost perfectly.

Here is what I did. Since the modded firmware was based on 2.7.4.24, I made sure the RBR50 v2 orbi had 2.7.4.24 router firmware first. Then just flashed your modded firmware, using the web interface. And it became an RBS50! Functionally it worked well, with both wireless backhaul and wired backhaul to the existing RBR50 router (running in AP mode).

Only caveat is it could not be flashed to any other versions of RBS50 firmware: it is stuck at RBS50 2.7.4.24. When I checked the hidden info via http://[converted RBS50 ip]/hidden_info.htm , I saw
Board Model ID :RBR50
Board Data :1101
So, these board data points were still kept in router mode. And since 2.7.4.24 version removed telnet functionality, I could not use these commands to correct:
artmtd -w board_data 1102
artmtd -w board_model_id RBS50

My guess is that this router (rather than satellite) board identification is the reason no other RBS50 firmware can be loaded to it. If there is a way to modify the board id, that would be a perfect solution. Not sure if a mod based on an older version of firmware with telnet functionality could work, since after flashing we could log in and execute the artmtd commands to change the board id.

Regarding how to prevent netgear from auto updating, we just need to block all orbi devices on the home network from accessing the following 2 sites:

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
updates1.netgear.com

There may be different ways to accomplish this. What I do is to set up an adguard home (e.g. on a raspberry pi) to act as the DNS server for my home network. Then create a couple of custom filtering rules, like below. The 192.168.1.2-4 are LAN ip addresses of orbis.

||http.fw.updates1.netgear.com^$client=192.168.1.2|192.168.1.3|192.168.1.4
||updates1.netgear.com^$client=192.168.1.2|192.168.1.3|192.168.1.4
Glad it worked for you

I tried changing the model and board ID like the v1 method and the orbi doesn't boot at all.

The modified firmware allows it to boot as an RBR50 but during the boot process identifies it as a satellite, hence the reason these values remain unchanged.

If you wanted to run a different version it would need to be modded in the same way first (I'm happy to this for you if you want to run a different version)

This is also why it's a good idea to block updates, as I'm not sure what it would try and update it with, I've got tons of pis hanging around so may have a play with creating a DNS server

Glad it worked for you

I tried changing the model and board ID like the v1 method and the orbi doesn't boot at all.

The modified firmware allows it to boot as an RBR50 but during the boot process identifies it as a satellite, hence the reason these values remain unchanged.

If you wanted to run a different version it would need to be modded in the same way first (I'm happy to this for you if you want to run a different version)

This is also why it's a good idea to block updates, as I'm not sure what it would try and update it with, I've got tons of pis hanging around so may have a play with creating a DNS server

Thanks! Are you saying that if I could telnet (I could not under 2.7.4.24) and execute the artmtd commands to change board identification to RBS50 I would actually brick it? That's very good to know since I might be tempted to do that under an older version where telnet is still possible.

As I noted, likely because of the board identification as RBR50, no other RBS50 firmware can be loaded. So, the risk of netgear auto updating is really about auto flashing back to RBR50, correct?

If you don't want to deal with DNS configuration to block netgear auto updating servers, you can just use voxel firmware. One of the great things about voxel is it never auto updates. I like the V9.2.5.1.19 version of voxel firmware for detailed transmit power control. That version is over 2 yrs old, and it can stay that version forever. I would greatly appreciate it if you help make a modded firmware for RBR50v2 to BRS50v2 conversion for Voxel's V9.2.5.1.19 version.

Just two things to pay attention to: (1) downgrade stock firmware to 2.5.2.4 first and then flash the desired version of voxel firmware (2) do not try to reset your RBK to factory default settings under voxel. flash the stock version first to perform reset.

PS: after running your modded firmware v2.7.4.24 for almost a day, I noticed 2 more limitations: (1) in web interface, the converted RBS50v2 shows up as a satellite, but stuck with a backhaul status of "Config Sync" rather than "Good", although functionally it works fine. (2) in orbi app, the converted RBS50v2 does not show up.

Yes it would brick! I had to use UART to change them back.

Strange on the backhaul status as its showing as good for me, I'll have a look at the voxel firmware! Do you flash the same version on satellite and router? I opened the zip and saw both version in there!

Yes it would brick! I had to use UART to change them back.

Strange on the backhaul status as its showing as good for me, I'll have a look at the voxel firmware! Do you flash the same version on satellite and router? I opened the zip and saw both version in there!
Did some research on reddit and looks like different firmware versions between router and satellites could cause backhaul status not showing as good. All of my orbis (router and satellites) are on voxel V9.2.5.1.19 while this newly converted satellite is on stock V2.7.4.24 alone. After you experimented voxel firmware successfully, maybe you can share the modded firmware for voxel V9.2.5.1.19? ;)

By the way, did you see the converted satellite showing up in the orbi app?

Right I've had a play this evening and have now got the router and all satellites on voxel firmware with backhaul status showing correctly and all showing in the app :)

I'm running the latest voxel version but I've also modified the v9.2.5.1.19 and the stock v2.5.2.4 (not sure that was really necessary but I'm getting quick at it now)

The only way I could flash was the converted RBR50 was via tftp, the web interface wouldn't let me flash modified or stock RBR firmware

Anyway here's the link to the folder containing all the modified firmware versions https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OIY-LzWgfw7jH8lb1kx0M-oVRuiTIKOn?usp=sharing

Right I've had a play this evening and have now got the router and all satellites on voxel firmware with backhaul status showing correctly and all showing in the app :)

I'm running the latest voxel version but I've also modified the v9.2.5.1.19 and the stock v2.5.2.4 (not sure that was really necessary but I'm getting quick at it now)

The only way I could flash was the converted RBR50 was via tftp, the web interface wouldn't let me flash modified or stock RBR firmware

Anyway here's the link to the folder containing all the modified firmware versions https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OIY-LzWgfw7jH8lb1kx0M-oVRuiTIKOn?usp=sharing
Think this is the perfect solution: same version of voxel firmware on all orbis, including the converted RBS50v2 using the mod. All satellites are showing Good backhaul status and all satellites are showing up in the app.:cool:

The only things that could reveal it is a converted RBS50v2 is when you see the board identification data points in the hidden_info.htm page and bigger memory and flash sizes than a true RBS50v2 (484MB/512MB rather than 230MB/128MB) that can be seen in the debug.htm page.

Think this is the perfect solution: same version of voxel firmware on all orbis, including the converted RBS50v2 using the mod. All satellites are showing Good backhaul status and all satellites are showing up in the app.:cool:

The only things that could reveal it is a converted RBS50v2 is when you see the board identification data points in the hidden_info.htm page and bigger memory and flash sizes than a true RBS50v2 (484MB/512MB rather than 230MB/128MB) that can be seen in the debug.htm page.
After using the new setup for overnight, a couple of points to note regarding other differences between a converted RBS50v2 and a true RBS50v2. Still VERY happy with the RBR to RBS conversion for the v2 hardware!

(1) The login password for telnet or ssh is unknown. I tried using the web gui password, which would work for all my other orbis in the system, and it did not work for the converted RBS50v2. Also tried "password" and no go either.

(2) as you noted, once it has loaded the modded firmware, will have to use tftp to flash a new firmware. Apparently, the converted RBS50v2 was recognized as an RBR50 during booting and recognized as an RBS50 when running. So, the web gui would not accept any RBR50 firmware, modified or unmodified, stock or voxel. The web gui will, however, accept an RBS50 firmware, which could be unpredictable and risky! Hence the reason to block any auto updating! While it was on the modified voxel V9.2.5.1.19 RBS50, loading stock v2.5.2.4 RBS50 bricked it. I had to revive it using TFTP. Previously when it was on the modified stock 2.7.4.24, loading other RBS50 firmware by web gui would give the appearance of a successful flashing. But after rebooting, firmware version stayed at 2.7.4.24.

Last edited:
Done! :cool: Successfully created a near stock firmware that converts a RBR50v2 into an RBS50v2.

Basic steps
- Download firmware-mod-kit
- Extract RBS firmware
- Modify dni_project.sh to overwrite (almost) all code blocks like below with corresponding RBS values
- Make sure that the partition part is excluded from these mods
- Rebuild firmware
- Use dni-header-util to set device to RBR50 and recalculate header checksum.
- Flash firmware

Code:
/sbin/artmtd -r board_model_id | cut -f 2 -d ":" > /tmp/board_model_id
damn manjor props to you dude, and to @schmellic for the gdrive link. I picked up 2 sets of RBR50v2 + RBS50v2 at a church garage sale for $50 TOTAL.... I know crazy right. And i wanted to be able to use the spare RBR50 as a wired satellite. Worked perfectly!
Before i got to this forum, i was reading the much older posts involving connecting to the pins on the circuit board... i even had my arduino uno ready to go. So glad I didn't have to go that far, and that I found these steps. Thanks again!!
PS everything shows up perfectly in the app under 2.7.4.24 for all 4 pieces of hardware.

Cool, well here's the link! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BITNgWNralEcBh6oRXDeQIq7pPpbQvQx/view?usp=sharing let me know if it works for you, and I am no way responsible for bricked devices ;)

I signed up to this forum to say a huge thank you to everyone for this thread.

I have an RBR50, RBS50 and RBR50 (flashed with satellite firmware) and all are V1. I bought a RBR50v2 recently with the idea of flashing it as an RBS50 to extend my coverage and bricked it following the V1 method. I was lucky that the firmware which came with my RBS50v2 was V2.3.5.30 so I was able to enable Telnet - I changed the board id and model id, flashed it but as I mentioned, this bricked it.

Having found this thread, I unbricked it by opening the orbi, hooked into the tx/rx/gnd lines and got in to the console through a serial connection. I was able to change the board id back to 1201 and model back to RBR50. I then ran 'fw_recovery' option to start tftp and then flashed the RBR50 V2.7.4.24 firmware onto my RBR50v2. Through the web GUI I was then able to upload the modified firmware included here and this is now happily acting as another satellite.

Big props to you all, especially @kvr.

*edit - Link to google drive containing various modified firmware versions https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OIY-LzWgfw7jH8lb1kx0M-oVRuiTIKOn?usp=sharing
Cool you made the next step! I moved houses, had less spare time and most admit I lost interest a bit after I "solved" the initial problem. I dropped the ball, but very nice someone picked it up and ran with it. Kuddos to you!

Last edited:

*edit - Link to google drive containing various modified firmware versions https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OIY-LzWgfw7jH8lb1kx0M-oVRuiTIKOn?usp=sharing
Just registered to say thank you. This seems to be the only working method over the Internet to soft convert the v2.

Just registered to say thank you too, thanks to you I successfully converted the RBR50v2 to RBS and can use it as a satellite. Thanks a lot !

I uploaded Voxel firmware on my other devices too, but I lost the Access Control feature, is it normal or did I do something wrong ? (I use Orbi in Access Point Mode)
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-02-28 145523.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2023-02-28 145523.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 38
That's strange, it works fine for me, Perhaps it's the Access Point mode?

View attachment 48236
Thank you for your answer.
Yes it might be because of the Access Point mode, but with Netgear firmware this was available in Access Point mode. I might have done something wrong, I don't know what, that's why I was asking, but it's not really important I can live without it :)

Thank you for your answer.
Yes it might be because of the Access Point mode, but with Netgear firmware this was available in Access Point mode. I might have done something wrong, I don't know what, that's why I was asking, but it's not really important I can live without it :)
Netgear says that Access Control is one of the features not present when the router is in Access Point (AP) mode.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Disabled-Features-on-the-Orbi-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Hi All;

Firstly, great work on getting the RBR50v2 to become a RBS50v2!

Question...Any chance someone can apply the fix and recompile the image with the latest RBS50 firmware (v.2.7.5.4)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!