What's new

rc_service: ntpd_synced 3399:notify_rc restart_diskmon -> PPPoE restart

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ms74ro

Occasional Visitor
Hello!
I have a problem with an Asus RT-AX86U Pro router, every time the command that produces this log "rc_service: ntpd_synced 3399:notify_rc restart_diskmon" is executed, the PPPoE connection is reset and therefore the assigned IP is automatically changed. This happens once a day. The problem becomes annoying because I need to have a fixed IP as long as possible.
This also happens on the original firmware from Asus. I switched to the Merlin version believing that this was fixed in this version.
Another problem is the appearance of the date of May 5 in the log, even though the router was reset from the button several times.
I mention that I have nothing connected to the USB ports.

Last edited:
The ntpd_synced message usually appears because the WAN connection was reset, not the other way around.

May 5 is the default date the router has before it's able to sync with NTP. So every time you reboot your router it will start with the May 5 date.

I still think it's the other way around, that it's something in the firmware that causes the disconnection. I tested the internet connection for an hour with a technician from the ISP and there were no disconnection problems.

May 5 08:05:56 ovpn-server1[3379]: Initialization Sequence Completed
Sep 5 14:23:05 ntpd: Initial clock set
Sep 5 14:23:05 rc_service: ntpd_synced 3399:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Sep 5 14:23:05 disk_monitor: Finish
Sep 5 14:23:05 disk_monitor: be idle
Sep 5 14:23:05 ddns: ppp0 has not yet obtained an WAN IPv6 address.(10)

Maybe. The part of the log you posted looks normal. Post a section of the log that shows the problem you're experiencing.

Are you using IPv6? There were some bugs around DDNS and IPv6 which may or may not be fixed in the current firmware.

What router and firmware do you have? AFAIK RT-AX68U Pro is not a valid model.

IPv6 is enabled. I will disable it to see if it still happens, but surely that is not where the problem comes from.

1693917429294.png

The router appears in the list of devices supported by the Merlin firmware

Maybe. The part of the log you posted looks normal. Post a section of the log that shows the problem you're experiencing.
I posted exactly that log from the moment the problem appeared

the attached pictures are from September 3
the one with white is from a server that indicates the moment of disconnection

Attachments

• log router.png
    log router.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 69
  • log server.png
    log server.png
    3 KB · Views: 67
I posted exactly that log from the moment the problem appeared
The 5th May entry followed by the ntp entry indicates that your router was booting up. Save the entire System Log and post it to pastebin.com and provide a link to it for us to look at.

I'd also suggest you change "Log only messages more urgent than" to "all".

Thanks. I see you're no longer using Merlin's firmware.

There's nothing in the log to suggest any problems with PPPoE. It looks like the power to router was turned off and then on again at about 12:07. It's possible that the router crashed and part of the log was lost prior to 12:07 but there is no crashlog to suggest that's what happened. Check for loose power connections.

Last edited:
the router is new, bought 4 months ago

I deleted the merlin log, I'm going to restart it and when the problem happens again, I'll repost the log

Asus routers have had poor support for IPv6 in the past. I see your router is using IPv6 a lot. If possible disable IPv6 and just use IPv4 to see if that improves things.

I disabled it earlier, 10x
This problem brought me to that moment when I feel like giving up on asus and switching to a dream machine from ubiquiti. If it happens again, I will send it under warranty, maybe it has power problems on the motherboard. There were times when we entered wireless 2.4 and it simply restarted completely. Then I reset and reconfigured it and it stopped doing that but keeps disconnecting from PPPoE.

It happened again, I connected to the wireless network and immediately the PPPoE connection was disconnected.

from Sep 5 22:06:23 Mastiff: init

Attachments

• log server.png
    log server.png
    3 KB · Views: 65
It happened again, I connected to the wireless network and immediately the PPPoE connection was disconnected.

from Sep 5 22:06:23 Mastiff: init
OK to be clear, the problem is not the PPPoE connection being disconnected. The problem is that your router crashed and rebooted itself.

This time there was more information in the log file including the crashlog entries. Unfortunately it doesn't tell us much about the problem other than it was a memory error in a kernel module. Prior to the crash the log was filled with the following repeating messages:
Code:
Sep  5 21:31:14 rc_service: watchdog 9316:notify_rc stop_aae
Sep  5 21:31:14 rc_service: watchdog 9316:notify_rc start_mastiff
Sep  5 21:31:14 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Sep  5 21:31:15 Mastiff: init
Those are related to the Alexa/IFTTT function of the router. That may or may not be the cause of the crash. If you're using Merlin's firmware you can set "Disable Asusnat tunnel" to Yes which might make those messages go away.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-3004-388-4-beta-is-now-available.86109/post-856313

At the end of the day it looks like a firmware bug. So there's probably very little you can do about it other than hope it's fixed in a firmware update or replace the router with a different model.

After deactivating "Disable Asusnat tunnel" the router did not restart for no reason, more than 24 hours have passed and it is ok.

The only log lines that still appear with "crashlog" are

May 5 08:05:08 kernel: Kernel command line: coherent_pool=4M cpuidle_sysfs_switch pci=pcie_bus_safe console=ttyAMA0,115200 earlycon rootwait mtdparts=brcmnand.0:2097152(loader),264241152@2097152(image),524288@266338304(crashlog) root=/dev/ubiblock0_4 ubi.mtd=image ubi.block=0,4 rootfstype=squashfs cma=0M

May 5 08:05:08 kernel: 0x00000fe00000-0x00000fe80000 : "crashlog"