What's new

Really bad quality on 2.4Ghz - help troubleshooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gil80

Regular Contributor
Using RT-AX88U with Merlin fw.

This is the settings I have on the 2.4Ghz:
1697732424143.png

and:
1697732445807.png

Going to site survey > advanced troubleshooting:

advanced_troubleshooting-2.4-1.png

I get really bad results when testing speeds with clients that are 5 meters in direct line of site (i.e., Samsung Galaxy S23+, or my laptop). Barely scratching 11Mbps download.
I made sure there are no other clients downloading.

How can I solve this? It wasn't like this... it kind of got worse in the recent months.

If you live in urban area - don't push for 40MHz on 2.4GHz. Use 20MHz channels only. Find the channel with usually more bandwidth available. May be different than common 1-6-11 understanding. Good luck.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5...a-slow-wifi-on-asus-router-ax88u/td-p/1647868
you are not the only person with such issues

on android you have program wifi analyzer that should help you to find channel not used by different routers. Set channel manually not allow for auto - do not use DFS channels.

do you have any USB dev connected - USB very offten share that same power supply with wi-fi 2.4GHz can drastically impact performance.
in Samsung when you connected check what MAC you have - Advanced > MAC address type > Phone MAC. do not use Randomised MAC.

last think I notice in the past same issue when WPA2 password was to short - It should be 63 characters (do not use 64 as same device have limit to 63 like garmin) a lot generator online like
https://rottenwifi.com/wifi-password-generator
password you have can be hacked very fast - it is funny that Asus showing it as very strong :) Did you notice some1 else connecting to your wi-fi.

Last edited:
It's worth looking at System Log > Wireless Log to see your utilisation. As the channel utilisation increases, error rates increase and throughput speeds drop, though 11Mbps does seem extreme!

Actually, auto channel at 20 MHz is your best bet. Do not mess with the Professional settings. Also, use Dual Band SmartConnect. Use Auto channel on 5 GHz as well. In fact, use default WIFI settings! You will be surprised how well they work.

Some disparate advice...

Note: there /could/ be a reason nobody else around is using channel X (assume the other routers are using "auto" channel). If so, your experience could be even worse by jumping on that "available" channel. Have to test to know. "Auto" is most usually a safe bet.

From what I tested, channel 6 seems clear, so I'm using that.
Actually, auto channel at 20 MHz is your best bet. Do not mess with the Professional settings. Also, use Dual Band SmartConnect. Use Auto channel on 5 GHz as well. In fact, use default WIFI settings! You will be surprised how well they work.

I'm not sure what are the default settings anymore in the professional tab. I've messed with it quite a bit to see if I can improve things.
Do you happen to know how to obtain the default settings?

I'm not sure what are the default settings anymore in the professional tab. I've messed with it quite a bit to see if I can improve things.
Do you happen to know how to obtain the default settings?

After such experimentation (the firmware can get confused, imo), it's a good idea to Hard Reset and then configure the non-default settings from scratch.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!