What's new

Really slow wifi on iPhone 8 Plus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Veridis

New Around Here
Router: RT-AC88U with 380.68_4

Speedtest to my ISP's speedtest server on wired ethernet: 936Mbps DOWN, 482Mbps UP

iPhone 8 plus 2.4ghz WIFI (Phone next to router) Speedtest to my ISP's speedtest server: 56Mbps DOWN, 57Mbps UP

iPhone 8 plus 5ghz WIFI (Phone next to router) Speedtest to my ISP's speedtest server: 18Mbps DOWN, 95Mbps UP

The 5ghz download speeds are not only slower, they are less reliable. So for now I'm stuck with 2.4ghz.
My old Nexus 6p (Android) Maxes out the 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection speeds.

Is there a known issue with iPhone devices? This is my first iPhone. Anyone has any idea what is wrong?

Thank you for reading!

No, no issues with any of our Apple products on out 68U on wither 2.4 or 5ghz. All devices (6S, 7, 7+, and a multitude of Apple laptops) all max out the WiFi on either frequency. I would take your phone into an Apple store, if one is nearby, and check speed with their WiFi. When I got my 6S (when it was first released) I had lousy WiFi. Apple swapped the phone and all has been fine since then.

Router: RT-AC88U with 380.68_4

Speedtest to my ISP's speedtest server on wired ethernet: 936Mbps DOWN, 482Mbps UP

iPhone 8 plus 2.4ghz WIFI (Phone next to router) Speedtest to my ISP's speedtest server: 56Mbps DOWN, 57Mbps UP

iPhone 8 plus 5ghz WIFI (Phone next to router) Speedtest to my ISP's speedtest server: 18Mbps DOWN, 95Mbps UP

The 5ghz download speeds are not only slower, they are less reliable. So for now I'm stuck with 2.4ghz.
My old Nexus 6p (Android) Maxes out the 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection speeds.

Is there a known issue with iPhone devices? This is my first iPhone. Anyone has any idea what is wrong?

Thank you for reading!

Try changing the channel and test in the same room but not right next to the router.

Charge your phone. I know it's sounds weird but last year just after I bought my iphone 7 plus I faced a similar issue. battery was around 15-20% I tried everything till battery dies and put the phone charge and leave it. After the battery fully charged all worked perfect and never had that issue. :confused:

Okay I tried the suggestions you guys gave.

Charged phone: No difference
Replacement iPhone 8 plus: No difference

Choose a fixed 5ghz channel and currently I can get around 150 DOWN and 100 UP in the same room. At least isn't something pathetic like 18 DOWN.
My Surface 2017 on 5ghz wifi does 252 DOWN 222 UP in the same spot.

I also set a daily reboot schedule just in case.

My settings based on recommendations I read on the forum:

FHl9O8d.png

UIvX2Bl.png

Choose a fixed 5ghz channel and currently I can get around 150 DOWN and 100 UP in the same room. At least isn't something pathetic like 18 DOWN.
My Surface 2017 on 5ghz wifi does 252 DOWN 222 UP in the same spot.
That depends on the maximum channel bandwidth and the amount of spatial streams used by the client.

Try channel 36. I doubt the iPhone would be susceptible to that, but it's worth trying.

actually if I recall on previous iPhone models they are only capable of 20mhz bandwidth.. had similar issues years ago on 2.4ghs and that was the reason.. have to leave on auto for force it to lower width on the router for them to run stable. most likely same situation still.. try it anyway n let us know.

actually if I recall on previous iPhone models they are only capable of 20mhz bandwidth.. had similar issues years ago on 2.4ghs and that was the reason.. have to leave on auto for force it to lower width on the router for them to run stable. most likely same situation still.. try it anyway n let us know.

Only for 2.4GHz - Apple has traditionally not allowed Wide Channels in 2.4GHz.

In 5GHz 11ac - they support 80MHz channels - and most recent devices at 2 stream there...

Asus is known to be less than friendly to Apple devices - not sure why, but it's a constant item here on the SNBForums...

Going back to OP's problem - not much info to go on actually - both devices are broadcom based - and you didn't mention if you're running common SSID or not.

Best case though - move a few feet away from the AP - right up next to it - one can actually overdrive the radio a bit.

In the enterprise space - Apple's IOS devices are one of the references for planning purposes when mapping out network coverage, and they support 11r/11v quite well there.

Goes back to what I mentioned earlier - most Asus/Apple problems are not Apple, they're Asus... we don't see these issues on other consumer brands like Netgear, Linksys, TP-Link, DLink, etc...

we don't see these issues on other consumer brands like Netgear, Linksys, TP-Link, DLink, etc...

I disagree. Hit Google with queries, you'll see plenty of them.

Many more iOS clients than AP's - consider that... and there, the consensus on the forums here - not IOS...

And I'm telling you, you'll get complains from every other manufacturers. It's NOT unique to Asus. Just look for user feedback outside of these forums (which are heavily Asus AND Broadcom-centric, so they are not usable statistical metrics) - issues are reported with other manufacturers just as well. I vaguely recall even providing Google search results from other websites to confirm it last time we had this very same argument.

Ultimately, Broadcom driver code is the same regardless of the router manufacturer. Any issue tied to wifi will be the same across router manufacturers, as long you compare identical chipsets. Otherwise, I could say that the RT-AC55U (Qualcomm-based) has fewer iOS-related issues than Netgear's R7000 (Broadcom-based), and therefore it's a Netgear-unique issue...

For what it's worth, I had the same issue with my iPhone 7 and N66U earlier in the year, and never figured out any solution other than slumming it on 2.4GHz. With that said, my 5GHz has now started working normally again, just as mysteriously as it stopped working*.

* I actually have iOS madness to thank for discovering this — it turns out that if you have icloud keychain syncing on, resetting network settings on your iphone (aka the universal solution of last resort) will remove your wifi passwords from all devices. After directly connecting a laptop to my router to find out what the 5GHz password was and forgetting to grab the 2.4GHz one, I ended up trying it on the iPhone again out of laziness.

I've never had any wireless issues on any of my Apple devices and I pretty much own them all, (Macbook Pro, iPhone 7, iPad Pro, Apple TV, Apple Watch) on 2 different Asus routers, latest being the AC86U.

Getting back to the performance issue - try resetting the network settings on the iPhone - Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

When asked, say yes, and the phone will reboot - then go back and set up the WiFi

Sometimes - when moving from an older device to a newer device, settings can get into a sub-optimal state.

I've experienced slow wifi and occasional timeout on address resolution after upgrading to _4 from _2 on my AC88, same settings nothing changed. after increased pressure from the house holds, i decided to give the beta version a try, and after the upgrade it seems everything is back to normal. i'm getting a 250Mbps down and around 300 up within a 10-15m range from the router (no walls in between), on the 5G, i have a 1G fiber broadband.
Maybe there is an issue with _4 with RT-AC88U, not sure.
Beta seems pretty stable, no major issues so far.
Good luck.

Disconnect your iPhone from Wifi,try another Wifi connection,I suspect it's the phone,maybe there's something wrong with the phone,my iPhone 8 used to be slow at work.Then I found out that the phone was out of space.
This is an important revelation: most people don't understand that an operating system managing a bulging filesystem can tend to slow the whole device/machine down. Further, digital data isn't considered safe from loss unless it's backed up in a minimum of 3 different physical locations - in the case of a phone, your desktop computer is one, the cloud is a second, and you need to find a 3rd that works for you...maybe a 2nd cloud.
I met a filmmaker/documentarian last night who lost 16 hrs of irreplacable footage because she trusted one hard drive.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!