What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there progress on the rt87u or can I just not find it

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

I have noticed in the log since I updated, that I see on the hourly DDNS update:

Code:
Feb 20 18:53:01 watchdog: Hostname/IP mapping error! Restart ddns.
Feb 20 18:53:01 rc_service: watchdog 304:notify_rc start_ddns
Feb 20 18:53:01 start_ddns: update DOMAINS.GOOGLE.COM dyndns, wan_unit 0
Feb 20 18:53:04 ddns: ddns update ok

My DDNS is Google Domains, and it seems to be updating ok. The "mapping error" is new from before.

I get the same mapping error with dyndns.org.

Have you updated the client app to the latest version v77?
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/downloads

And I haven't updated Asus firmware yet, because I use PIA as well (v77 with Windows 10).

No, I am still on v75, but I plan to upgrade tonight.

PIA support says I may have a firewall issue, but up to now has had no effect. I should be able to figure that part out tonight, but I don't think it will have any effect.

Due to the NVRAM corruption issue, I am now tempted to flash back to 384.3 just to see if clearing the NVRAM fixes the issue. Before the flash while I was on 380.69_0 I had a potentially non impacting, but concerning issue where the AC68U would appear as 192.168.1.1 in the ASUS device discovery utility. When I click configure, it takes me to the AC3200 which is no longer in the list. I just rebooted to correct it. Now I seem to think the issues are somehow related to my previous post...

I have connected using Private internet access from iOS using OpenVPN Connect 1.2.7, and 1.2.8 (both are fine). They connect direct through my RT-AC3200 (384.3) without any issues. The same goes for the affected Win 10 PC when i connect directly to the RT-AC3200 using wifi. The issue only occurs when I connect though the RT-AC68U(bridge) with Ethernet. In other words, it might end up being safe to update. I will try flashing it later to test, and will post results. I will end up needing to anyway to test with PIA. If the issue is solely on my end I am sorry for the confusion.

I certainly hope I am right...

EDIT: it did not work, in fact it made it harder to recover. I had more failed flashes on this one than I can remember because I lost count of my steps. I was desperately trying anything to get back to 380. Something is severely wrong with my router. I performed a NVRAM reset and flash which worked last time, and that failed. Somehow I got lucky and flashed to 380.69_0, but it had the same behavior. I flashed to 380.69_2, performed a factory reset, and this time the changes took. Really scary. I am on PIA v77. It only got released yesterday :). At this point, I would say wait and don't sweat it until the next release. I have a second AC68U. The one I'm on is a converted TM-1900, the other is a real AC68U(reserved as backup for main). It could be the bootloader i put on it, so before i put my other router at risk, what is a good one for me to be on??? I could be on CFE 1.0.2.0.

EDIT2: it does have CFE 1.0.2.0 on it, but I hear the original stock version was something like 1.0.1.6, and the CFE on the WORKING AC3200 is only 1.0.1.7. I will start a new thread on this issue. I still want to put new firmware on it, but i need to find the issue with the router 1st...

Last edited:
I have the AC88U and can not seem to use the OPENVPN client with success since upgrading from the 380.x firmware. I'm with Private Internet Access. Does anyone currently use them with 384.3 fimware and have it working? Would they care to share the openvpn client settings they use please? I haven't had issues before with 380.x but everything I try on this firmware does not seem to work. Often seizes up the router GUI completely once activated, and if not and appears to be working, blocks the connection to the internet on attached devices.
Any ideas?

Are you referring to using the PIA window's client or using the vpn client on the router?

No issues for me using the router client on 384.3 with PIA. I am using one of their configuration files from the link below. It loads in all the correct values. I would recommend starting fresh with one of these files.

https://helpdesk.privateinternetacc...een-the-OpenVPN-config-files-on-your-website-

Have you updated the client app to the latest version v77?
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/downloads

And I haven't updated Asus firmware yet, because I use PIA as well (v77 with Windows 10).

This would only apply if AussieRob was using the window's client and not the router client.

@RMerlin

I'm still on 384.3 Beta 3 for the AC3200, would it be possible to backup my current CFE (2.0.0.4) and flash the EU CFE (2.0.0.3)?

Or am I stuck because of the change in NVRAM to 128 KB after the 382 upgrade?

Really trying to get rid of the Japanese region restrictions on this otherwise perfectly good router.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000

Are you referring to using the PIA window's client or using the vpn client on the router?

No issues for me using the router client on 384.3 with PIA. I am using one of their configuration files from the link below. It loads in all the correct values. I would recommend starting fresh with one of these files.

https://helpdesk.privateinternetacc...een-the-OpenVPN-config-files-on-your-website-

This would only apply if AussieRob was using the window's client and not the router client.

Yes... I'm attempting to use the openvpn client on the router itself. No drama with a local client on linux and android. Also had no drama with router client on previous builds. Obviously working for you and Merlin himself. I will check the settings you provided over the weekend when I have time. Thanks so much for your help.

Ok so no 384 for 87u????
And what is the reason is the 87u an difficult router or what??

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Thank's for the update, will update my ac86u at the weekend.

Just a question about naming clients/devices, on the network map device list, If I click on a devices name it highlights it so I can rename it, some of my devices have some random letters and numbers so have no idea what device it is, anyway if I change the name of the device here will it save, or do I need to do it somewhere else?

It allows for me to rename it, just unsure if the change will stay permanent.

Thanks

I'm still on 384.3 Beta 3 for the AC3200, would it be possible to backup my current CFE (2.0.0.4) and flash the EU CFE (2.0.0.3)?

I don't know, I don't mess with the CFE, and always advise against it as well.

Just to clarify the terminology, and perhaps help you solve your problem, could you spell out exactly what you mean by “clean install”? Step by step, what do you do?
Please explain to me the exact steps for a successful upgrade. I have an AC66U_B1. Thank you

Sent from my C106 using Tapatalk

Upgraded my AC68U from 380.69_2 to 384.3 with factory reset .

All seems ok, except my flash drive usb3.0 (ext2 with entware).... it has not been detected in usb3 port, I had to plug it into port 2.0.
The usb3.0 port also detects usb 2.0 drives, but does not mount usb3 drives.

Anyone?
I also have the USB 3.0 no mount issue. I'm having the ac66u-b1

Sent from my C106 using Tapatalk

Upgraded last week, everything was smooth until I had to reboot my AC86-U

All of my traffic statistics have been wiped ? Anyone else experienced the same ?

I have found plenty of info on other threads on this forum and others reporting that there is an issue with the ac68u 384 firmware (ASUS and Merlin) affecting media bridge mode, and repeater mode. The symptoms match my own, so there isn’t a firmware update that will work for me at this time. I’m stable on 380.69_2, and have given up trying to find a solution given this new information. I will be watching for an update. If you use repeater or bridge mode, don’t upgrade. It may have to do with the AiMesh code.

Hi,
I've serious problems to get my AC68U to work after uppgrading from 380.69_2 to the new recommended firmware 384.3.
After upgrading I couldnt connect via WiFi and after a severeals restarts and a finally a hard-reset I'm steel unable to get inot the router via WiFi or wired.
I get an IP adress from the router (192.168.0.10) nothing i recognie from my settings. I tried to connect to 192.168.0.1 but nothing.
It's the first time that I have troubles with the router and it seems I'm the first one?
Please advice.

Could you please advise on what could be wrong with the USB 3.0 in 384.3 on AC68U, it is keep failing in the syslog.log and doesn't make any devices. While USB 2.0 port works just fine.

Hi,
I've serious problems to get my AC68U to work after uppgrading from 380.69_2 to the new recommended firmware 384.3.
After upgrading I couldnt connect via WiFi and after a severeals restarts and a finally a hard-reset I'm steel unable to get inot the router via WiFi or wired.
I get an IP adress from the router (192.168.0.10) nothing i recognie from my settings. I tried to connect to 192.168.0.1 but nothing.
It's the first time that I have troubles with the router and it seems I'm the first one?
Please advice.

Try 192.168.1.1

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!