What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
after update my AC-RT5300 to 384.4_2 firmware version, the 2.4 Ghz wifi, after some time disconnects the clients and they are unable to re-connect. Anyone with this problem??? any solution???
With the 384.4_0 version, same problem, only with works without problems with the 380.69_2 version.
The RT-AC5300 is working in Access Point Mode (AP), thanks for the help.
Had the same problem with 384.0. Had to reboot the router every time. Back to 69.2.....router works like a charm

Had the same problem with 384.0. Had to reboot the router every time. Back to 69.2.....router works like a charm

I also have this since start of 382 release if I remember correctly. Here are my other observations regarding this,

- just after reboot; clients can connect both 2.4 and 5 ghz with no problem.
- after a while connected clients don't have any issue but after about 1-2 minutes new clients can't connect.
- I'm using FreshJR's QoS script which runs after 3-4 minutes after reboot. Sometimes after this script runs clients becomes able to connect and sometimes after this script runs, clients becomes unable to connect. Just a reminder; these both two happens really rare, probably these are just coincidence.
- Sometimes one reboot solves the issue, sometimes 3-4 reboots solves, so sometimes it takes 30+ minutes to solve it. That's why I'm afraid to reboot my router :(

Hi

I realise this has been asked a few times, I would just like to be sure Im fine doing it this way, in the GUI we now have the initialise and restoration reset options.

I normally like to do a reset after 2-3 versions or after 1 big update, before I used to just hold the reset button down for 10-15 secs and release.

My question is for someone who is not worried about backing up settings and likes to start complete afresh after a reset and inputting any custom settings again, would I be best selecting initialise reset option?

I understand this resets the JFFS partition, again I have no idea what this is and have never had any need to understand this side of things.

So is initialise reset the way to go?

Thank you:)

so both are fine for you as you dont use JFFS, no difference in cleaning what already empty. If no need to hold JFFS initialize will be more effective ...

so both are fine for you as you dont use JFFS, no difference in cleaning what already empty. If no need to hold JFFS initialize will be more effective ...

Hi

Thank's for confirming, I will give the initialise option a try with the next update from Merlin then. Ive never used the GUI reset before, always done it manually at the router.
I guess a full power down is always good as well though.

Thanks again.

Other:
Can I somehow export-import fix ip-s?
On the main page at client if I click "view list" than at the bottom there will be a button "export". I can save file called "ClientList.csv"
Can I somewhere import it?

Using a script, the file could potentially be imported to the DHCP reserved IPs NVRAM 'dhcp_staticlist' variable.

However, if you expect to use the exported 'ClientList.csv' as a complete backup of the DHCP Reserved IP table then you will be disappointed as there are a couple of drawbacks.

Firstly, 'ClientList.csv' only contains the current online devices, so if you have say 10 entries already in the DHCP reserved GUI, and the file only contains 5 online devices the import/restore script would need to somehow ensure that it doesn't lose existing offline entries.

Secondly, 'ClientList.csv' only contains the 'description' of the device with its useful 'hostname' being strangely omitted.o_O
NOTE: You could obviously manually edit 'ClientList.csv' to change the description field to a shorter valid hostname, before importing it via the script.

In summary, I suggest you search the forum for better methods to backup/restore the DHCP Reserved IP list.

Hi

I realise this has been asked a few times, I would just like to be sure Im fine doing it this way, in the GUI we now have the initialise and restoration reset options.

I normally like to do a reset after 2-3 versions or after 1 big update, before I used to just hold the reset button down for 10-15 secs and release.

My question is for someone who is not worried about backing up settings and likes to start complete afresh after a reset and inputting any custom settings again, would I be best selecting initialise reset option?

I understand this resets the JFFS partition, again I have no idea what this is and have never had any need to understand this side of things.

So is initialise reset the way to go?

Thank you:)

Acording to asus the only difference between initialize and reset are initialize wipes the "database". I assume thats the trend micro data base which is used for all the aiprot and qos stuff.

*edit*
Also the traffic logs etc

Consider yourself a platform maintainer, you shall show a little more appreciation for 3rd party effort like some of the forum members are doing. Perhaps I went a bit too far on this but I really want to say it. It's my impression from a few years ago that the platform you're maintaining gave me an impression of not welcoming new ideas and suggestions.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with your suggestion, just providing an alternative since that alternative was recently discussed, and can actually help solve other problems as well, now that web browsers are starting to become obnoxious in their security warning.

Don't know what gave you the idea I had anything against third party developers. If anything, I've more often than not provided those developers with advance information relative to coming changes that might impact them. Ask @john9527 who I've frequently warned about changes that might affect his NVRAM backup/restore script, or @thelonelycoder about other changes tied to the 382/384 platform. I've also exchanged emails in the past with the Astrill folks relative to their plugin.

The reason why I provide early alpha builds is also in large part for all the third party development community to be able to start testing thinds early in the development process to reduce the chances of seeing everything break overnight with the next firmware release.

@RMerlin

Both of us made our points. I think it's clear now. So let's move on :)

I have 384.4_2 on Asus Rt-ac68u. In this firmware release the setting of the authentication method from BOTH to HTTPS only does not appear to work. I have changed it from both to HTTPS only and hit apply once. when I checked from the local network I could still log in from HTTP. So I returned to the screen and hit apply a second time and watch the % countup again. Once again I could still log in from the HTTP screen and the HTTPS screen on the local network. I repeated the test in a Microsoft Edge in-private window with the same result. Remote access is currently disabled. I attempted 3 reboots with no effect. Its almost as if it does not reboot just says it is.

Another odd thing started... after the reboot failure I decided to disable the VPN client but it would not shut off. However the 2 VPN servers shut off ok.

After that I thought I would downgrade to 384.4_0 . So I did that and then manually restarted the router only to find that 384.4_2 is still showing as the firmware. However the router has finally decided to switch to HTTPS only mode for local access. So something unusual is going on with 384.4_2 This is the first time in the 2 years I have used this router that it has failed to take an updgrade or downgrade.

Last edited:
I have 384.4_2 on Asus Rt-ac68u. In this firmware release the setting of the authentication method from BOTH to HTTPS only does not appear to work. I have changed it from both to HTTPS only and hit apply once. when I checked from the local network I could still log in from HTTP. So I returned to the screen and hit apply a second time and watch the % countup again. Once again I could still log in from the HTTP screen and the HTTPS screen on the local network. I repeated the test in a Microsoft Edge in-private window with the same result. Remote access is currently disabled. I will attempt a reboot and then try again. If it takes I will post an update.

I think Asus hardcodes the httpd daemon in http mode for some features that require it. I agree it's counter-intuitive, but those features relying on it are closed source, so until they change those features to also support https mode, they will probably keep doing it that way.

@RMerlin If you have some free time, could you test ipsec client feature?
Recently, I tested it with my mikrotik rb750gr3 and that client feature works as site to site vpn really.
I have only one Asus router, so I can't test between both Asus'.

For reference, speed hit 200Mbps when I copied file over site-to-site vpn.
It looks mikrotik's bottleneck.

@RMerlin If you have some free time, could you test ipsec client feature?
Recently, I tested it with my mikrotik rb750gr3 and that client feature works as site to site vpn really.
I have only one Asus router, so I can't test between both Asus'.

For reference, speed hit 200Mbps when I copied file over site-to-site vpn.
It looks mikrotik's bottleneck.

Too busy to take a look at it at this time, sorry. My current ToDO list seems to be growing on a daily basis as of late, with miniupnpd and openssl having recently been added to the list of things to merge, on top of two new GPL releases in the last week :(

The server feature was giving me 300 Mbps when I tested with VPN Access Manager on my desktop, and an RT-AC86U as the server. I'd expect similar results with the client as well, provided Asus has actually finalized it - not sure at what stage of development it currently is.

It's a bug with the RT-AC86U code, we'll have to wait for Asus to fix it. Most of the RT-AC86U nvram management is closed source.

On a side note what does the bandwidth monitor actually do as far as the priorities settings and the ability to drag clients up and down the page? Is this meant to be a hardware prioritization system in the absence of QOS. Or does it also work together with QOS somehow? I was figuring that QOS would take priority when turned on? Nothing in the Asus FAQs on this stuff or documentation.

Tried the 384.3 now, and it seems a litte better, bitrate going up to 4.10 mbps now and resolution on Netflix change to 1080p, but it is not stable as it goes back and forth between 2.24 mbps and 4.10 mbps. It should go up to 15 mbps and 4K as it did before, and as it still does connecting it to my Phone or my router from my ISP.

Something is dodgy with this 384.X firmware's

Third time factory reset now, took a 30-30-30 reset and clear nvram, unplug it for 5 minutes and set everything up from scratch. Installed latest 384.4_2 and Netflix bitrate is now down to 1 mbps again. (2.44-4.10mbps on 384.3)

@RMerlin: I understand you are very busy, but can you atleast answer what changed from 380 to 384 FW on the WiFi ? Something have to be different.

I think Asus hardcodes the httpd daemon in http mode for some features that require it. I agree it's counter-intuitive, but those features relying on it are closed source, so until they change those features to also support https mode, they will probably keep doing it that way.

Thank you for the thought. After reloading the settings from backup it finally disabled the http access when I applied it. So its possible Asus does that for some features but not this one yet. (Afterwards, I decided to go back to 384.4_0 and wait for the next new 68u beta) Thank you for all your hard work on this great system! Very much appreciated.

Third time factory reset now, took a 30-30-30 reset and clear nvram, unplug it for 5 minutes and set everything up from scratch. Installed latest 384.4_2 and Netflix bitrate is now down to 1 mbps again. (2.44-4.10mbps on 384.3)

@RMerlin: I understand you are very busy, but can you atleast answer what changed from 380 to 384 FW on the WiFi ? Something have to be different.

IMHO 384.4_0 is a better choice than either 384.3 or 384.4_2 for whatever reason on a RT-AC68u. I have run all 3 but only came across oddities on .3 and .4_2 in my application. Cant speak for other platforms.

@RMerlin,

Just curious. Is there anything security related in Asus release 20624 change log not in your build?

By the way, everything working great here on 384.4_2, with 4 days uptime. Thank you, Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!