What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding problem logging on to the router. I have an AC3100; same problem. I have tried multiple permutations of the IP address and logon.
After reading the post above, I tried it with the :8443. Firefox blocked the access because it was self signed. It popped up a message. You can add an exception. That may be your problem. Though you should see the message.

I can no longer access my router on https://192.168.1.1:8443 wireless using my laptop and latest firefox? All other browsers are ok but with firefox it just hangs with "performing a TLS handshake..." in lower left corner to finally time out. I've cleared cookies, tempfiles etc and also deleted certificate exception but no go. Any ideas?

Do a ‘reset’ of Firefox.

Am I correct in assuming that upgrading to 384.4 from the latest Asus stock firmware (on a AC-3200) will require a Reset to Factory Default after flashing?

Thanks,
Anton

New 87U running good so far. One thing I`ve seen mentioned a couple of times, but not answered (perhaps I missed it?) is, site survey just spins and spins never populating. I did a restore after flashing, manual config, don't use mac filters and done a ctrl+F5. FF, Edge, Chrome. Even tried 384.5_beta1. No luck.

Anyone?Thx

I'll give that a try. Right now WiFi is pretty much unusable. The natives are pissed, my sons Xboxes are on WiFi and they're displeased.

Edit: latest alpha build seems to have done it. Thanks for the pointer!

Edit 2: It appears that the issue is only partly mitigated. It just takes longer to manifest. Right now my 2.4Ghz network is down for most devices, it just went poof. Devices try to connect repeatedly but fail until the router is power cycled.

Is there a way to roll back to 380.X? The built in UX does not allow it.
Did you preform a factory reset after the flash

New 87U running good so far. One thing I`ve seen mentioned a couple of times, but not answered (perhaps I missed it?) is, site survey just spins and spins never populating. I did a restore after flashing, manual config, don't use mac filters and done a ctrl+F5. FF, Edge, Chrome. Even tried 384.5_beta1. No luck.

Anyone?Thx
Try opera and give a factory reset a go to see if it helps just in case.

Try opera and give a factory reset a go to see if it helps just in case.
Thanks for the reply! I did a factory reset via GUI restore button and tried Opera ( great browser that I always forget about), still no go. Weird as everything else seems to be working / displaying fine.

Thanks for the reply! I did a factory reset via GUI restore button and tried Opera ( great browser that I always forget about), still no go. Weird as everything else seems to be working / displaying fine.
Your welcome try the Initialise options for reset.

Your welcome try the Initialise options for reset.
Still no go. Didn't think would work 'cause I wiped my jffs after the restore last night using the option in the GUI and if I understand correctly, that's the only difference between the 2 options. It's not a big deal, but I bought this ac87U refurbished, so I want to make sure it's working well before the 90 day warranty runs out.

Still no go. Didn't think would work 'cause I wiped my jffs after the restore last night using the option in the GUI and if I understand correctly, that's the only difference between the 2 options. It's not a big deal, but I bought this ac87U refurbished, so I want to make sure it's working well before the 90 day warranty runs out.
In that case it sounds like a hardware issue.

In that case it sounds like a hardware issue.

Damn, really? All other antenna functions are working properly. Does site survey utilize different hardware then what is used for broadcasting a signal? I did notice a couple of other people mentioning the same problem in this thread. When I click on t he site survey tab, it starts automatically with no options.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Working great. I think the issue I've been having the entire time was related to trying to have two separate networks (2.4 and 5). Now I let the router decide and I'm getting full speed.

Damn, really? All other antenna functions are working properly. Does site survey utilize different hardware then what is used for broadcasting a signal? I did notice a couple of other people mentioning the same problem in this thread. When I click on t he site survey tab, it starts automatically with no options.
Hmm could be isolated to a particular revision, I'm just speculating.
Have you tried turning the wifi on and off again?

On my AC3200 applying changes to WiFi settings seems to kill WiFi and it does not return until I power-cycle the device. I did do a factory reset and manual reconfigure after upgrading.

2.4Ghz stops working for some devices as well (Pixel 2 XL in this case) and it refuses to connect. Again, a power cycle of the router resolves it until it happens again.

Also noticed that after factory reset (via initialize option) wifi does not when configuration is complete. Only after power cycle.

Finally, after the initial config the CPU load graph looks super odd with the two core utilization plots mirroring each other in the graph.

Edit: I've reproed all of these with the latest AsusWRT bits. SMH. Argh. Attached is an image of the CPU plot. Nice picture, if only it didn't indicate the borked device.

Sounds like a possible wonky flash. Did you try reflashing? Something I try is to flash the current OEM firmware and then proceed. It seems to work when all else fails. I had a devil of a time attempting to upgrade to 384.5_beta1 and had to abort. This version, 384.4_2, is very stable with great performance. We recently got GigaBlast service and it makes the Internet what it should have been all along. So this firmware is working well with the AC3100. That AC3200 is a piece of crap. I tried it and very quickly moved on. Even the AC87U was a better router IMO.

Try doing what I call a bench upgrade (I do it at my dining room table while my wife is at work). Power down the router and disconnect everything. I then bring the router to a table or bench so I can more easily slap the shirt out of it when it really pisses me off. Let the router sit for as long as possible so it can find its happy place. Then come back and I reset it with the WPS button method (I do it 3 time as I'm OCD) but use whatever method you like. Then use the GUI to flash the current OEM firmware (don't know why this helps, may just be a placebo for the operator). Once that boots up immediately flash Merlin's firmware. Then bask in the glory of your success (hopefully) once you MANUALLY reenter your configuration settings.

Now I haven't tried that with the 384 code so it may not work.

Last edited:
Hmm could be isolated to a particular revision, I'm just speculating.
Have you tried turning the wifi on and off again?

No I hadn't. OK turned off both radios and rebooted, did a power cycle. Scan started and stopped ( that's new) as both radios were off. Turned both back on and power cycled. Scan hung up like before. Then I disabled 5ghz and did a scan. Worked! Toggled 2,4ghz off 5ghz on. Did a scan and got hung up. So it's the 5ghz getting the scan hung. 5ghz is working tho as my phone has no problems connecting. Strange. There probably isn't any other 5ghz networks around to detect. Perhaps that's why it gets hung? Just keeps searching.....

@TRS_80
The scan won't work if....
- You have maclist filtering on (affects both 2.4 and 5 GHz)
- The 5 GHz radio is using a DFS channel (52-140)

@TRS_80
The scan won't work if....
- You have maclist filtering on (affects both 2.4 and 5 GHz)
- The 5 GHz radio is using a DFS channel (52-140)

Hi! Thanks for the info but I'm not using macfiltering and my channel is 149. Gonna do some tests later, starting to think it maybe the 5ghz isn't working the way it should. My phone is the only 5ghz device I have around atm to test with. Is there any know issues with software ( I'm back to 384.4.2 now) and 5ghz bugginess? Hoping to not have to send this back.

Ok. Did some tests and I was dropping 5ghz. Unplugged for a few hrs and everything seemed to be working fine. Site survey worked, device not getting dropped, so it does look like a hardware / heat issue as after I let heat climb to operating temp( 49C/2.4ghz 61C/5ghz 75C/CPU) site survey didn't work, device still is working tho. Looks like I may have gotten one of the ac87u "lemons".

Gonna unplug again tonight and check tomorrow. Monitor for a few days. Found a post somewhere else where a guy opened it up and removed the thermal foam pads, used thermal paste on the sinks and added a small fan. Don't think I'll go that far, probably RMA. Maybe even move over to the 68U as I've read alot of probs with the 87U. Damn was just starting to love this thing.

Sorry to muck up the thread was hoping it might be a software problem.
Thanks for all the help guys/gals. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions or to post my results.
Any other suggestions advice is appreciated.

TRS_80

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!